New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Using Canon DPP and Lightroom

scott_sauer

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using Canon DPP and Lightroom

Hello
A few members on the canon forum recommended the use of Canon's DPP software in order to utilise the DLO (Digital Lens Optimiser) process.

I can see that this can help for some certain situations and would be keen to use DPP for that purpose only.

However, I can not seem to work out how to export a completely flat unmodified TIFF file with just DLO applied to the raw image. When I try, I typically get a file with significantly less dynamic range (or higher contrast etc) once imported into Lightroom than if I just import the raw file directly.

DPP seems to apply the picture settings (Landscape, Fine Detail, Neutral etc) to the file.

Is there something that I am missing here? Any advice on an editing process would be great here. I am well versed on Lightroom and Photoshop, having shot medium format for many years now, I just need to know whats going on inside DPP and how to make it work.

Many thanks, Scott

Oct 01, 2017 at 06:09 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using Canon DPP and Lightroom

You may need to make a custom picture setting with nothing applied, and use that setting on your image if the Canon choices can't be turned off.

Oct 01, 2017 at 11:43 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using Canon DPP and Lightroom

It may be this. DPP's downsizing algorithm for 'fit to screen' display is very good - contrasty which creates the illusion of sharpness - while other applications sacrificed quality for speed. I have never got and exported image to look as crisp as viewing the original using DPP.

While DLO is very good and tuned for Canon I can get it to look as good using LR/PS. Canon recommends shutting sharpening off before applying DLO. Try that and work on the an image in LR using the detail palette. Compare them both at 100%.

Oct 02, 2017 at 11:28 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Using Canon DPP and Lightroom

I think applies it. Both images had sharpening turned off. Both were exported from DPP as TIFFs at full size, opened in PS, cropped at 100% view and resized. I''l try LR just in case.

First Image is without DLO. Second with DLO at 100. You can see a change.

Oct 03, 2017 at 12:05 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Using Canon DPP and Lightroom

Same full sized TFF's imported into LR - First image without DLO. Second with

Edited on Oct 03, 2017 at 12:49 AM · View previous versions

Oct 03, 2017 at 12:16 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Using Canon DPP and Lightroom

DLO is very good but pretty subtle. Here are a few of my tests comparing DLO with sharpening off and LR's Detail palette. I shut DPP sharpening off because the LR file has not been exported yet thus no final sharpening has been applied. So we are comparing apples to apples.

First image is DPP. Second LR. It was tough to match crop sizes. Being careful using LR's Detail pallet does a decent job. DLO is tuned for Canon but you save a step just using LR.

Oct 03, 2017 at 12:30 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Using Canon DPP and Lightroom

I decided to try one more using DPP on both images with sharpening at 4, exported as TIFFs and opened in LR.

No DLO on first. DLO applied at 100 on the 2nd. You can see the changes in the background so it did apply it.

Oct 03, 2017 at 01:02 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Using Canon DPP and Lightroom

Zenon Char wrote:
while other applications sacrificed quality for speed. I have never got and exported image to look as crisp as viewing the original using DPP.

Going back to DPP1, I noticed this as well and have since maintained that OEM software mated to OEM capture algorithms gives you the better result. But, back then I didn't care for the DPP interface, etc., so I spent a fair amount of time developing my own sharpening approach in PS without using DPP.

+1 DLO is more subtle than expected.

Curious about the noise pattern difference between the DPP vs. LR images. It seems that the LR image is softer (inferring "something" was done to the file) ... mostly as evidenced by the diff in noise structure.

Oct 03, 2017 at 05:48 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Using Canon DPP and Lightroom

Yes. Many years ago I spent months trying figure out how to solve the - why does DPP looks so good on the screen issue compared to an exported file. There is no solution. Another answer I found was to view at 100% when comparing to another software. I always have and still use DPP quick check, full screen to cull. I use it from time to time for quick onesies to post an image.

DLO being subtle. I read all about it and it was a real welcome addition for DPP die hards as there was only one sharpening method before it. DLO does not sharpen to compensate for the AA filter but rather corrects for it. True deconvolution.

I was a DDP die hard but switched to LR/ACR and 6 months later DPP introduced DLO which really ticked me off. Did some research and learned how get capture sharpening to look as good using LR. Still can't beat DLO as it is better tuned for a specific lenses and also takes care of diffraction and aberrations. LR has lens corrections for that. Now I don't feel like I have lost out not having DLO. It can make a more noticeable difference for lenses with weaker IQ.

As for LR I learned that the detail slider in the detail palette does 2 things. 0 -50 suppresses halos. 50 -100 is deconvolution but you lose halo suppression. Between it which is also subtle, the sharpening and masking sliders you can do very well. A barely see a difference with my L lenses.

Personally I have never liked DPP's noice pattern. I have always preferred Adobe.

Oct 03, 2017 at 09:10 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Using Canon DPP and Lightroom

Pretty good video in case anyone wants to try LR only for capture sharpening.

http://blog.nicgranleese.com/2013/02/04/sharpening-for-architectural-photography-using-lightroom/

Oct 04, 2017 at 06:56 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Using Canon DPP and Lightroom

Zenon Char wrote:
As for LR I learned that the detail slider in the detail palette does 2 things. 0 -50 suppresses halos. 50 -100 is deconvolution but you lose halo suppression.

Hi. Can you tell me where you got this info ? I'd like to know more about it.
Thanks.
- Alan

Oct 04, 2017 at 08:57 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Using Canon DPP and Lightroom

OK I'll try. There is not a lot of general info on it. I found it on some LR sites I visited. Something Jeff Schewe announced. I usually save links. I'll check them out.

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:04 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Using Canon DPP and Lightroom

Here is where I started this thread to ask this question. It is a little muddled because it is a forum and everyone has opinions. Victoria Brampton aka Lightroom Queen responded in post 4.

https://www.lightroomforums.net/threads/detail-slider-question.30079/

Her site

https://www.lightroomqueen.com

I'll see what else I can find.

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:18 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Using Canon DPP and Lightroom

https://www.lightroomforums.net/threads/detail-slider-revisited.30168/

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:22 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Using Canon DPP and Lightroom

I tried this method by Jeff Shcewe a few times but gave up. Further down he talks about it.

The default setting of 25 has very little deconvolution sharpening and a lot of halo suppression. For high-frequency images, I always increase the Detail slider to reduce the suppression and enhance the fine detail. The setting of 90 is pretty high, but this image could withstand the strong setting. You can see the inevitable increase in the sharpening of the noise, which will be addressed with the Noise Reduction Luminance setting (this preview is before the addition of the Noise Reduction). The next step will be to fine-tune the Amount and Masking settings, as shown in Figure 4.73.

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1951754&seqNum=4

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:28 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Using Canon DPP and Lightroom

FYI. I Set my default settings in LR this way. First off I only shoot ISO set to 1/1 otherwise it would be impossible to set up and maintain. Well not impossible but it would

I set up the Default Settings specifically for each ISO so it automatically applies. The Detail Slider is either 25 or 75.

7D2 = up to and included ISO 1600 is 75. Over is 25

5D4 = up to and included ISO 3400 is 75. Over is 25

This of course depends on the lighting and exposure and I will fine tune if necessary.

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:42 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Using Canon DPP and Lightroom

I can provide my generic list of Default Settings for the Detail Palette if anyone is interested.

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:44 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.