New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Adaptors and 3rd Party Lenses for Fuji GFX 50

rollsman4
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adaptors and 3rd Party Lenses for Fuji GFX 50

I am looking for a portrait lens to use on my GFX 50 and want to save some money and hope there is a 3rd party lens and adaptor I can get thats close to the Image quality of the GFX portrait lens. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any suggestions. Thanks Dennis

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:14 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adaptors and 3rd Party Lenses for Fuji GFX 50

rollsman4 wrote:
I am looking for a portrait lens to use on my GFX 50 and want to save some money and hope there is a 3rd party lens and adaptor I can get thats close to the Image quality of the GFX portrait lens. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any suggestions. Thanks Dennis

By GFX portrait lens I assume you mean the Fuji 110 f/2. There are a lot of options both for lenses made for Medium Format (MF) and FF 35mm (FF). Here are some that I think are worth considering:

MF:

Mamiya 645 110mm f/2.8 -- This is a quite inexpensive lens--you should be able to get it for $150 or so, and the adapter isn't that expensive either. Despite that price it is a quite decently performing lens. It is a stop slower than the Fuji native lens, and perhaps not quite as sharp but as a portrait lens that is not necessarily a disadvantage.

Pentax 67 105mm f/2.4 -- This is a classic lens for the Pentax 67 system. It is quite inexpensive often going for $250 to $300. It has a very nice rendering in my view, but isn't as sharp as the native Fuji lens. It is not a large lens, but does require two adapters (a good way to go is a Pentax 67 to Pentax 645 adapter, plus a Pentax 645 to Fuji G mount adapter). Both these adapter are quite inexpensive.

Hasselblad FE 110mm f/2 - This lens is made by Zeiss and has a pretty classic Zeiss planar rendering. It is expensive but cheaper than the native Fuji lens selling for about $1,400 is you are patient. The adapter is pretty inexpensive as well. It isn't as sharp as the native Fuji lens, but some (including me) may prefer the rendering. One potential negative to note is that the lens only has five aperture blades so out of focus highlights when stopped down will be pentagons.

Hasselblad HC 100 f/2.2 -- This lens is actually made by Fuji and won't save you much money over the native Fuji lens. If you are patient you can find one for under $2,000 and you will need the Fuji Hasselblad adapter for the GFX. It has a beautiful rendering with spectacular bokeh, IMO, and it has a leaf shutter which even the native Fuji lens does not. I actually prefer this lens to the native Fuji lens, although the native lens is sharper.

FF: (I will review some options both at 100 or 105mm and 135mm)

Nikon 105mm f/2.5 - This is a classic portrait lens for the Nikon system and has very nice rendering at a price of about $200 typically. The adapter is fairly inexpensive too. The lens does cover the Fuji sensor, but there is some extra vignetting and a bit of softness in the corners and edges. None of that would be a deal breaker for me for portraits. It won't be a sharp as the native Fuji lens.

Minolta MD 100 f/2.5 --This is in my view an underrated but very nice lens. It has a beautiful rendering and it quite small. It typically costs about $150 used and the adapter is inexpensive as well. It won't be as sharp as the Fuji native lens either.

Canon 100 f/2 -- This lens is a bit faster than the two above but not much if any better. It is a pretty inexpensive lens, but the adapter is expensive. I am not 100% sure that it cover the sensor, so that should be checked out before buying.

Zeiss 100 f/2 Makro -- This is a more expensive lens, but it is in my view a bargain--you can now get this lens for $800 or so. I would suggest buying it in the ZF or ZF.2 mount for the GFX and then you can use a Nikon F to Fuji G mount adapter which is relatively inexpensive. This lens is blisteringly sharp, at least as sharp as the native Fuji lens. It does have some chromatic aberrations (CA) in the bokeh, but it allows very close focus (it is a macro lens after all) and I like the bokeh on the lens a lot. You get a lot for the money here and it does cover the image circle.

Zeiss 135 f/2 APO -- This lens can now be had for about $1,000 and it is a very good bargain at that price. Again for the GFX getting the ZF or ZF.2 version should save you money not the adapter. I has much in common with the 100 f/2 Makro, but has noticeably less CA, but doesn't focus quite as close (although it still focuses quite close for a portrait lens). It is blisteringly sharp and at least as sharp as the native lens. It makes a great option for the GFX.

Canon 135 f/2L -- This is lens is about $750 used, but requires a more expensive adapter. It has a very nice rendering and very nice bokeh. I don't find it as compelling of an option as either of the Zeiss lenses given it is at least as expensive with the adapter and not as good optically, but if you like the look it should definitely be considered and it does cover the sensor of the GFX.

Nikon 105 f/1.4 -- If you want the ultimate in shallow depth of field, you may want to consider this lens. It goes for about $1,750 used and although doesn't require an expensive adapter, you won't be able to change the aperture with a cheap adapter. It is a stunning lens and wide open is the equivalent of about an 80mm f/1.0 lens on FF 35mm. It is quite sharp, maybe not quite as sharp and the native Fuji lens, but is a stop faster and although not free of aberrations doesn't have a lot of them either. It does cover the sensor of the GFX.

Sep 30, 2017 at 09:20 AM
suteetat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adaptors and 3rd Party Lenses for Fuji GFX 50

Fuji 110/2 is an excellent lens. I would put it in the same league as Otus 85/1.4 . That's how good it is. So lens that would perform as well as Fuji portrait lens will not be cheap but there are definitely many excellent portrait lens that work very well with GFX.
Steve already gave you an excellent list. I would add Leica R 80/1.4 . No vignette at all, a little soft at f1.4 with a nice glow but sharpened up very nicely at f2 and still give you very nice rendering and isolation with GFX. I also like Hasselblad 150/3.2 HC. Ultimate resolution is not quite up to Fuji 110/2 but sharpness is not an issue and it has very nice rendering. Hasselblad Zeiss 120/4 Makro CFE at a fraction of a price of Fuji 120/4 but only fall behind Fuji 120/4 a bit if you pixel peep at 100% magnification.

Sep 30, 2017 at 09:51 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adaptors and 3rd Party Lenses for Fuji GFX 50

Has anyone tried the Pentax 645 lenses? The are cheap and plentiful on the used market, and I'm wondering how well they would perform on the GFX?

Sep 30, 2017 at 09:55 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adaptors and 3rd Party Lenses for Fuji GFX 50

Steve Spencer wrote:
Pentax 67 105mm f/2.4 -- This is a classic lens for the Pentax 67 system. It is quite inexpensive often going for $250 to $300. It has a very nice rendering in my view, but isn't as sharp as the native Fuji lens. It is not a large lens, but does require two adapters (a good way to go is a Pentax 67 to Pentax 645 adapter, plus a Pentax 645 to Fuji G mount adapter). Both these adapter are quite inexpensive.

Fotodiox makes a Pentax 67 to GFX adapter, so no need for stacked adapters.

https://fotodioxpro.com/products/p67-gfx-pro

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:41 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adaptors and 3rd Party Lenses for Fuji GFX 50

molson wrote:
Fotodiox makes a Pentax 67 to GFX adapter, so no need for stacked adapters.

https://fotodioxpro.com/products/p67-gfx-pro

Thanks Cliff. I hadn't realized that adapter had been made yet.

Sep 30, 2017 at 05:48 PM
fishjump
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Adaptors and 3rd Party Lenses for Fuji GFX 50

I purchased a used (9) 80-160mm Pentax 645 from one of the NY retailers, along with a Kipon adapter. It was plenty sharp, but it had a stiffness in the focus ring, that made it difficult to focus.

Since then I bought a Mamiya 105 - 210 off eBay (think around $115), and paired it with fotodiox, and it works great. lighter/smaller than the Pentax 80-160 too.

I believe the Contax 105-210 is very sharp, and you also get an AF adapter for it ($700). But the lens goes for over $2k.

Sep 30, 2017 at 05:54 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Adaptors and 3rd Party Lenses for Fuji GFX 50

molson wrote:
Has anyone tried the Pentax 645 lenses? The are cheap and plentiful on the used market, and I'm wondering how well they would perform on the GFX?

The ones that can be used perform very similarly to how they perform on the Pentax 645Z. It is a very similar sensor. All the older manual focus 645 lenses without a leaf shutter work fine. Some of the newer lenses with an aperture ring work fine, but they won't have auto focus. Oddly in my view Pentax hasn't made lens for portraits between 90mm and 150mm that would be comparable to the Fuji 110 f/2. They did make a 135 f/4, but that is awful slow as a portrait lens but it does offer a leaf shutter, but you have to cock the shutter for each shot, and this particular lens with its leaf shutter may not be compatible with the GFX. The only leaf shutter lenses I have been able to make work is the Hassy HC lenses with the Fuji adapter. Both the 90 f/2.8 and 120 f/4 Macro lenses are good lenses but not really portrait lenses. The 150 f/2.8 lens even though it is a new AF lens should be fine as it has an aperture ring. It is a fairly nice lens from the samples I have seen.

Sep 30, 2017 at 05:58 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Adaptors and 3rd Party Lenses for Fuji GFX 50

SMC Pentax-A 645 lenses (these are the manual ones) are generally excellent glass. Some of the later autofocus ones are supposed to be even better. In my experience the user reviews on PentaxForum are quite reliable (in the aggregate): https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-645-Medium-Format-Lenses-i4.html

Some of the Pentax 67 lenses are supposed to be superb too (case in point being the third generation 55mm f/4). I have no personal experience with these though.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-67-Medium-Format-Lenses-i5.html

Sep 30, 2017 at 06:37 PM
rollsman4
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Adaptors and 3rd Party Lenses for Fuji GFX 50

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.
I am still uncertain as to which one to get.
I will continue to follow this post to see about more lenses that could work for me

Sep 30, 2017 at 07:10 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Adaptors and 3rd Party Lenses for Fuji GFX 50

One of the nicest lenses I've ever used was the old Pentax A* 645 300mm f4 ED. It's a bit ungainly with no provision for a tripod collar, but very sharp and really sublime bokeh. I may have to track down one of those, along with a Pentax adapter.

Sep 30, 2017 at 07:57 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Adaptors and 3rd Party Lenses for Fuji GFX 50

fishjump wrote:
I purchased a used (9) 80-160mm Pentax 645 from one of the NY retailers, along with a Kipon adapter. It was plenty sharp, but it had a stiffness in the focus ring, that made it difficult to focus..

I sometimes use that lens with the Mirex adapter on my full frame Canon, and it is very nice performing lens in optical terms. I do miss the automated features that don't work on my Canon + Mirex setup.

Sep 30, 2017 at 09:24 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.