Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · What are your TOP 5 Improvements in CC ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What are your TOP 5 Improvements in CC ...

I've not paid much attention to the advances of CC since it came out after the whole "must upgrade to CS6", then Adobe abandoned the CS model for CC subscription.

For those who recall, the dialogue was prolific (including SEC documentation), so no need to re-hash.
My question is this:

What advances has Adobe brought to the table since they went CC that can't be done in CS6?
By that, I'm not looking for trivial bells & whistles conveniences, but real functionality that has either been radically improved or is totally innovative (i.e. did not exist at all).

I'd welcome hearing what folks think the TOP 5 "power improvements" of CC are today compared to the last version of CS6. With 5 or more years having passed since CS6 > CC debacle ... what are the top dog functional improvements to Photoshop?

That's not meant to be a snarky question, but a legitimate desire to know what has truly changed ... you know, maybe something like multi-core support or hyper-threading support, or

I'm just wondering if there is anything that has changed that might be of strong interest ... you know, kinda like how we used to "skip" generations until something significant came along. What are Adobe's MOST SIGNIFICANT changes in CC since CS6? Is it time to re-consider CC for its improved functional merit? Laundry list of trivial conveniences isn't necessary. Instead, what are your top 5 "Can't live without" that CC offers where it doesn't exist elsewhere.

5 years ... Top 5 Improvements (i.e. Best of the Best) ... what's your .05

Sep 28, 2017 at 07:59 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What are your TOP 5 Improvements in CC ...

I think there's virtually nothing of note in Photoshop proper that would justify an upgrade to CC. Real world functionality is basically the same. The biggest improvements they've made is to tweak the look of the interface and make it less visually appealing, but, hey, they have to do something to justify that monthly nut. For myself, it makes sense because I use so many of their other apps - InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere, Acrobat Professional, Audition, Bridge, etc. so, what the hell. At some point, CS6 WILL become incompatible with a future OS, Mac or PC and that will force you to upgrade - if you want to take advantage of whatever power a new 'puter will give you.

It's hard to know without doing extensive testing if they've improved various filter or math internally in the latest versions, but my gut feeling says that things like PhotoMerge have gotten better and perhaps faster as well.

You can always download a trial and test it for yourself the way you use it and see. I think they're giving you a full week for free now. Whoopee.

Sep 29, 2017 at 01:49 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What are your TOP 5 Improvements in CC ...

http://www.adobe.com/in/products/photoshop/versions.html

Sep 29, 2017 at 03:37 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What are your TOP 5 Improvements in CC ...

Again - Going by that Adobe features graph, the ONLY thing that is a real improvement is the Glyphs Panel. Almost all of the other new features that are only in the CC versions are either half baked and don't work well on extremely high res files or are things that I, personally have no interest in. And that's what Bug is asking about - what features affect YOU. Since I do a fair amount of type in Ps, the Glyphs panel is a real bonus. Before, I'd have to do that in Id, save it as a pdf then import that to Ps, if that's what I needed.

Sep 29, 2017 at 04:29 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What are your TOP 5 Improvements in CC ...

Peter Figen wrote:
And that's what Bug is asking about - what features affect YOU.

Yup, Peter's got it ... which of them is MOST IMPORTANT to YOU to be your Top 5 (or Top 1, etc.)

Thanks for chimin' in.

Sep 29, 2017 at 08:32 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What are your TOP 5 Improvements in CC ...

Peter's use of Photoshop is genius level compared to mine. Relying only on Photoshop's most basic functions I simply cannot answer this question. I guess I appreciate stability and speed and better video tools - on the very rare occasions I'd need them. I do appreciate the cosmetic improvements to the GUI.

Sep 29, 2017 at 08:36 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What are your TOP 5 Improvements in CC ...

chez wrote:
http://www.adobe.com/in/products/photoshop/versions.html

Thanks for the link ... I'd already been there to see the 'laundry list' of diff's. But nothing on that list struck me as something I recognized as significant, except maybe the "real time healing brush" or the "faster" graphics engine. So, I wondered if others could offer their sense of importance to what they consider the most important improvements for them. You know, in case I was not understanding the value some of those things on the "laundry list" represent.

That, and maybe some feed back to their take on performance gains, vs. what's listed. Of course, I can download the trial, but I figure the collective use of FM'ers with 5+ years of experience would be far more collective experience than I could put together in the short trial period. That, and it would help focus my attention to WHICH areas I would want to really investigate during such a trial period, to gauge the meat & potatoes vs. the fluff.

Thanks, still.

Sep 29, 2017 at 08:40 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What are your TOP 5 Improvements in CC ...

Paul Mo wrote:
Peter's use of Photoshop is genius level compared to mine. Relying only on Photoshop's most basic functions I simply cannot answer this question. I guess I appreciate stability and speed and better video tools - on the very rare occasions I'd need them. I do appreciate the cosmetic improvements to the GUI.

I've not had any issues with stability, and I don't do video ... but, where do you see the gains in speed? Any guess to "quantify" (gut, seat of the pants guess is fine) gains in speed?

Sep 29, 2017 at 08:44 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What are your TOP 5 Improvements in CC ...

RustyBug wrote:
I've not had any issues with stability, and I don't do video ... but, where do you see the gains in speed? Any guess to "quantify" (gut, seat of the pants guess is fine) gains in speed?

A little in terms of launching - I suppose. Saving files seems comparable to previous versions. Nothing scientific.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:28 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What are your TOP 5 Improvements in CC ...

The real point is, is that after going CC, Adobe has done precious little in terms of real features that actually work on legitimately high res files. They add features as listed but who really is asking for those? They never asked me, that's for sure. They still haven't fixed a really obscure bug in the math for rotating images that I discovered but who knows if they even care anymore. I mean, back in the day of version 7 or so, I did convince Chris Cox that, in the real world of very large format printing, maybe 30,000 linear pixels might not be enough, and now we have .psb and ten times the pixel dimension. But that came way before CC.

There are certainly annoying things like the new versions of Bridge do NOT come with the output module installed, and while I have successfully installed that in Bridge CC, I can't for the life of me get the damned thing to actually show in Bridge CC 2017, and no internet tutes seem to be able to help - yet. THAT is why you don't overwrite or ditch your older versions. You never know when Adobe is going to screw you but you know it's going to happen sooner or later. Ha!

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:41 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What are your TOP 5 Improvements in CC ...

Peter Figen wrote:
You never know when Adobe is going to screw you but you know it's going to happen sooner or later. Ha!

Ha indeed. I still have CS3 installed to use plugins that were broken in CS5 and later (could have been broken in CS4, but I skipped that one).

And I agree that most of the new stuff is marginally useful or outright fluff, at least as it applies to the way I actually work.

Sep 30, 2017 at 07:06 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What are your TOP 5 Improvements in CC ...

Rusty,

I can't give a response as I've just decided to take the plunge. From what I can tell there's not a whole lot of difference. As you noted we are 5 years in. I can't imagine Adobe will keep CC compatible with CS6 much longer so this is preemptive move. Not exactly sure what they'd do for this. Probably make psd incompatible somehow.

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:07 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What are your TOP 5 Improvements in CC ...

This is the whole crux of the CC offering ... Ps is a very, very, very mature product. Especially for use in traditional photography projects. The addition of jaw dropping new features are fewer of late because there really isn't a whole lot more that is required or expected for typical image preparation for traditional wall prints or offset print publication.

However, Adobe has been mostly efficient and timely in keeping Ps CC up to speed with new camera RAW support and lens correction profiles for ACR and overall Adobe has been keeping up with OS updates as needed.

There is a big difference under the hood since PS6 ... they removed Flash that was used to animate visual feedback in the UI.

Sep 30, 2017 at 03:30 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What are your TOP 5 Improvements in CC ...

I have been using Photoshops starting with Elements in 1999. I have at least 10 books and have studied them extensively but I am still just a rank ameauture who cannot memorize more than a few menu locations or work multiple layers at one time. I learned how to work in LAB and have since forgotten it.

I am sure Peter is right about what was always there, but not in an intuitive or obvious way to me. The things I now use that I was not aware of prior to CC is HAZE, Clarity, and the ability to use RAW filters to get back into ACR while in Photoshop.

ACR seems much more powerful now as well.

Sep 30, 2017 at 03:48 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What are your TOP 5 Improvements in CC ...

For some people having access to the Camera Raw filters from within Ps really IS a big deal. You certainly have more options than using some of them from ACR, but for me, it's just a little thing, not one where I say to myself, "yeah, I can't live without this". I mean, I THINK they've speeded up filters like Liquefy, but I haven't done any side by side comparisons. I use CS6 on this laptop but never do anything serious on a laptop other than capture images to Capture One. CS6 is more than fine for that here. For some people, one of those new features that only CC has will make their days better, but for most of the rest of us, the program is, has been mentioned, pretty mature at twenty-seven.

Sep 30, 2017 at 06:37 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What are your TOP 5 Improvements in CC ...

Ok Rusty. I forgot one VERY cool new feature that actually freaking works. It's the new Match Font command under the Type menu. Trying to figure out what type was used in that sign or billboard or whatever? Draw a selection marquee around the type, then to the Type>Match Font and that new tool with give you a selection of font choices that are either right on or at least in the same family. I have used this several times when working with client's logos or trying to re-create something in an existing image but not having access to the original art, and even though it's been a few months since I needed it, for me, that's worth the price of admission. Others could probably give a crap though.

Oct 03, 2017 at 07:02 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What are your TOP 5 Improvements in CC ...

27 ... that's 1/2 my life.

Apparently software matures faster than people do.

Oct 03, 2017 at 08:09 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What are your TOP 5 Improvements in CC ...

Well, I will hit 61 next Wednesday. Feeling your pain, I mean, my pain these days...

Oct 04, 2017 at 12:56 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What are your TOP 5 Improvements in CC ...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1508629/0

Oct 04, 2017 at 02:35 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What are your TOP 5 Improvements in CC ...

Bernie wrote:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1508629/0

Thanks.

The point @ CC appx. = CS6 Extended provides some perspective to why some folks are touting diff's over CS6, while I'm not seeing some of those things as any different from my current CS6 Extended.

Oct 04, 2017 at 05:26 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.