Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Use of flash for HS football

graham_martin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Use of flash for HS football

For those of you that use a speed light attached to a monopod I have a couple of questions. I currently shoot using a Nikon SB800 which has a pretty high guide number. My lens is a 300mm f/2.8, and is mounted to either a Nikon D3s or D500. (For my Canon friends, the D3s is a pro body but is now a couple of generations old.)

I have been setting the flash at 1/4 power, 1/250 and ISO of 4000. This is more of a work in progress.

1. What flash power do you use?
  2. What is your usual shutter speed?
  3. Do you still shoot in burst mode? (spray and pray)
  4. At what distance from camera to player do you use the flash?
  5. If the play is too far for flash, do you quickly turn off your flash and change your ss to 1/1000, or do you simply wait for the play to come to you?

Sep 26, 2017 at 03:23 PM
dbaphotography
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Use of flash for HS football

I also shoot Nikon. I played around with a lot of different approaches a few years ago, but finally settled on something that works well for me. Though I'm currently using an SB5000, a 400 f/2.8, and a D5, what I do should also work with your gear.

When the sun goes down I switch to manual mode, 1/1000, f/2.8. I set the ISO so that the image will be underexposed by 1/3 - 2/3 stop, usually around 6400. (Make sure Auto-ISO is turned off.) Then I turn on the flash, use high-speed sync (HSS), and set the flash compensation to -2/3 stop. I set my burst mode to 4 or 5 per second, and use a Quantum Turbo 3 battery to charge the flash faster. Without the extra battery you'd have to reduce the burst mode to whatever rate the flash can consistently recharge sufficiently between shots. Be sure to set the flash zoom to its maximum setting. Then I just start shooting without worrying about distance. Hope this helps.

A couple of example shots from a recent game follow (cropped to satisfy MaxPreps criteria).

Sep 27, 2017 at 09:55 AM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Use of flash for HS football

Those are great photos, and thanks for the advice. I do have an external battery pack which I will be sure to use. What power do you set your flash at or do you just use TTL?

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:32 AM
dbaphotography
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Use of flash for HS football

TTL, with high speed sync set on the camera. On my D5 it's custom setting e1, "Flash sync speed" - set to "1/250s (Auto FP)"

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:17 AM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Use of flash for HS football

Thanks!

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:18 AM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Use of flash for HS football

While I'm not a Nikon guy, will a D3s go to ISO 8K or so? If not, you can go the "old school" route we used before high ISO cameras. First off, shoot your flash on auto (Canon would be E-TTL). The players come at you too quick to change your flash output in the middle of the play. Camera like dba says, "once the sun goes down, all manual".

The old school way was to let the flash stop the action. Set camera to ISO 800 "ish" (depending on your venue lights, wanna be 2 stops under exposed or you will get ghosting) SS at your sync speed @ F/4. That'll get you close without the black tunnel look of being over flashed and keep the iso in the manageable range. If your camera can handle high ISO, DBA has the method for that listed above.

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:59 PM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Use of flash for HS football

D3s is good and will go to ISO 8K without too much problem.

Sep 27, 2017 at 04:02 PM
TopStepPhotography

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Use of flash for HS football

I’m with dba, 100%

Jan 12, 2018 at 10:36 PM
graycat
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Use of flash for HS football

I use flash all the time for High School fb and soccer. I use a Better Beamer attached to my flash and an extra battery pack. My settings are HS sync, ETTL, camera on manual, single shot. I usually shoot 1/1000 to 1/1200. I am only limited by the length of my lens.

Jan 12, 2018 at 11:05 PM
PureMichigan
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Use of flash for HS football

I can't strobe night FB games -- the ADs at the local schools frown on it here --- but I've always wanted try to this system suggested on the Strobist. Just haven't had the opportunity. It's worth a read. https://strobist.blogspot.com/2012/09/friday-night-lights.html

Jan 13, 2018 at 08:36 AM
dbaphotography
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Use of flash for HS football

PureMichigan wrote:
... this system suggested on the Strobist. J... It's worth a read. https://strobist.blogspot.com/2012/09/friday-night-lights.html

It was worth the read. I wish I had thought of gridding my flash several seasons ago.

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:00 PM
PureMichigan
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Use of flash for HS football

Frankly if you consistently get pictures like the above, your system is better than his!

Jan 14, 2018 at 08:39 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.