New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Freelancer Resume Question

BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Freelancer Resume Question

I've recently finally got my foot in the door of freelance photography, and it's snowballed quickly. Just wondering how/what I should include on a resume, since things are getting a bit cramped. In order, I have/had these jobs

- Freelance Sports Photog (2017-current)
- Freelance Wedding Photog (2017-current)
- Freelance Product Photog (2017-current)
- Freelance Photo Editor (2016-2017)
- Camera Equipment Checker (2015-2016)
- Freelance Photo Editor (2015)
- Graphic Artist (2007-2014)

Under each, I list the company name and location, then functions, and then software/hardware used. To the right, I have a summary about myself, personal info, education, and skills. I need to add the latest job (sports photog) to the list, but it's as full as it's going to get.

I don't want to drop my graphic artist job from the list just yet, since it shows I am capable of working a long term, full time 9-7 job, too (though the equipment checker was the same). At the same time, I don't want to leave anything newer out, due to either leaving out experience, or showing a gap in employment.

Just wondering if any other freelancers here have a long list of jobs to deal with on their resumes, and how they sort everything out while still being informative.

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:15 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Freelancer Resume Question

Don't you think that most people looking to hire you are going to be more interested in your actual produced work than a list like this? Probably better to build yourself a great website and show people examples of what you do.

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:24 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Freelancer Resume Question

Peter Figen wrote:
Don't you think that most people looking to hire you are going to be more interested in your actual produced work than a list like this? Probably better to build yourself a great website and show people examples of what you do.

110% agree (I failed math).

Anyone interested in hiring you will want to see your work.

I have seen many amazing photographers that would have a lousy resume as well as some *very* qualified (on paper) photographers with very mediocre work.

Good luck and get that stellar website together.

greg

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:43 AM
Mikehit
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Freelancer Resume Question

gheller wrote:
110% agree (I failed math).

Anyone interested in hiring you will want to see your work.

I have seen many amazing photographers that would have a lousy resume as well as some *very* qualified (on paper) photographers with very mediocre work.

Good luck and get that stellar website together.

greg

It would be a 'lousy' resume only because they are no good at writing resumes- this is a fact of life that many people are rubbish at selling themselves which is precisely why you see mediocre photographers with good networking/business skills can be far more successful than excellent photographers who cannot network or run a business.

I would say always prepare a resume because you never know who will ask for it - it may be an agency or it may be a naive client who hires you like they would an employee.

Good CV design is as difficult as good website design - and the old website adage that 'if the website does not open in 3 seconds they move on' applies to CVs: the average time reading resumes is something like 8 seconds so you need to have something up front that makes them want to carry on reading or makes them want to look at your website. So smack'em between the eyes at the start with what you can bring to their contract and how (if) it has enhanced the client's success or led to referrals. It is all about money and return on their investment.
If you are proud of particular part then think about preparing a version that gives more emphasis to this .

There is no hard and fast rule regarding roles and skills - if you used the same programs and skills in several companies, do you really want to repeat them each time? I think it adds unnecessary wordage and I prefer to say what my skills are and then list companies/positions at the end. If you worked for some big honcho clients then describe that on the first page.
One reason I prefer to list the companies/position at the end is that it does not really matter how long the list is and does not distract from the important stuff.

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:57 AM
DomoFoto

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Freelancer Resume Question

I agree wth the other replies.... get a good website to show off your best work. Potential clients will also google you and see what kind of work you're done in the past so a web presence is important. Also, when I submit for a job I show or send over no more than 10-15 images.

As for you resume, I would get rid of the word "freelance". Most of the time, if you aren't a staff photog you are a freelancer so it's kind of a given. I suggest forming a company with your title/job as "photographer". Then list the genres you shoot, special skills and maybe a list of past clients in your job description.

Good luck!

Sep 27, 2017 at 07:05 AM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Freelancer Resume Question

In over twenty years of shooting, I have been asked for a resume only a hand full of times. I've shot for magazines that requested a bio for their contributor section but your images should speak for themselves.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:39 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Freelancer Resume Question

Pretty much the only time you'd need an actual resumé today is if you're applying for a job as a corporate photographer and you have to play that game. Even then, they're going to want to see images above all else.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:46 AM
markedman
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Freelancer Resume Question

Good help is VERY hard to find. Weather you are shooting an event or making pizza. Certainly I want to see your work. But more importantly I want to know your work ethic. Are you eager to help? Are you a team player? DO YOU SHOW UP ON TIME PREPARED TO WORK? Are you proactive or do I need to tell you everything that needs to be done. Do you have a personality to interact with potential clients? Have you worked in a variety of situations? Rain, snow, etc.. I once spoke to a photographer who told me he only shoots indoors (?)
Here are my absolute turnoffs: When do I get paid, when can I take a break, can I borrow a battery. I forgot my flash. Having talent is great but there is more to a successful event that the photos. I look and pay for allies and assets. Good shooting!

Dec 21, 2017 at 09:28 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Freelancer Resume Question

I would list the three latest in each category. I might use a photo book instead of a resume redo each year or two depending on increase in quality of your photos.

Dec 22, 2017 at 06:39 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Freelancer Resume Question

I agree with what the others say about showing results rather than experience. Add to that some client comments about you being a joy to work with, reliable and efficient. If you want to edit your resume, the easiest way is to combine the three photography ‘jobs’ since they cover the same time period. You can then list the specialities and the clients.

Dec 22, 2017 at 07:13 PM
IronFilm

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Freelancer Resume Question

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:
I've recently finally got my foot in the door of freelance photography, and it's snowballed quickly. Just wondering how/what I should include on a resume, since things are getting a bit cramped. In order, I have/had these jobs

- Freelance Sports Photog (2017-current)
- Freelance Wedding Photog (2017-current)
- Freelance Product Photog (2017-current)
- Freelance Photo Editor (2016-2017)
- Camera Equipment Checker (2015-2016)
- Freelance Photo Editor (2015)

I'd tweak this to this instead be (assuming that "equipment checker" means at a rental house?!):

- Freelance Photographer (Weddings/Sports/Productions) (2017-current)
- Camera Rental House Assistant (2015-2016)
- Freelance Photo Editor (2015-2017)

Sep 19, 2018 at 04:01 AM
dienliv
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Freelancer Resume Question

As a formality I've been asked to submit a résumé a handful of times. It's been for state and government projects. Again, a formality and I already pretty much won the project prior to them asking for the CV. I just listed prior experience with a quick description of the job, not all that fluffy thesaurus stuff. Could be a way to test you if you have the discipline and drive to do it as a demonstration of being able to deliver in a timely manner. We know too many stories of photographers being late on the deliverables because their dog's mother has a fight with a squirrel and then had my bicycle got a flat when I was taking the squirrel to the vet and my computer broke last night.

Oct 08, 2018 at 10:55 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Freelancer Resume Question

Here is my two cents. People looking to hire you know that you are freelancing. You should remove the word freelancing. Instead, using something more exact....wedding photographer, photo editor, and etc. You may want to describe exactly what you do as a wedding photographer or photo editor..in more details but can be summed up in one 1 or 2 sentences...

Oct 25, 2018 at 05:51 PM
ElvinNelson

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Freelancer Resume Question

I agree with the thought above regarding the wording of the title of the photographer's work. Although, I would indicate this kind of work in the resume for best resume writing services reviews. Such specifics in the future are better reflected in the number of orders, especially now, when the number of events for work as a photographer has decreased.

Sep 06, 2020 at 10:08 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.