FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       8       end

Archive 2017 · Review - ProFoto A1

Mark_L
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Review - ProFoto A1

> I will bring my V860II to the workshop and perhaps we can make fun comparisons

Shame you can't bring the price difference in banknotes too

Oct 11, 2017 at 03:04 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Review - ProFoto A1

So I tried them.

I'll stick to my Godox.

If you're surprised clap your hands.

Oct 21, 2017 at 02:25 AM
S-Man23
• • •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Review - ProFoto A1

FrancisK7 wrote:
So I tried them.

I'll stick to my Godox.

If you're surprised clap your hands.

Care to elaborate what brought you to this conclusion?

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:03 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Review - ProFoto A1

Care to elaborate what brought you to this conclusion?

Lanny and Erika stepped up from AA powered Canon 600 speedlites so the massive difference in recycle time thanks to li-on seemed to be what really sold them.

TTL is more consistent than other brands of TTL but most of us don't ever use TTL.

You still have to go in a menu to change groups or power levels, it's not like the AC3 controller where you can just turn a wheel and its done.

So the A1's advantage over a V860II is weight (since you dont need maggrips on an A1) and the smoother falloff.

Grids aren't yet out, will probably be plastic and cost a fortune.

Profoto A1:
2000$ for 2 lights, 500$ for trigger, 300$ (?) for 2 grids, total: 2800$

Godox V860II:
320$ for 2 lights, 80$ for trigger, 80$ for grid, total: 480$

So that extra 2300$ gets you smoother fall off and a slightly lighter flash. If it falls off a stand it will still break, build quality won't save you.

When you look at Erika and Lanny's workshop schedule for 2018 (all sold out) they will have earned 330k in workshop revenues only. If I made that much money and charged what they do for weddings on top, Profoto gear and the pricetag wouldn't even be an issue as ultimate reliability is what really matters.

Unless you are in that 1% though, or do flash heavy work all the time and have back problems on top, I can see the attraction. I don't think the 2300$ premium per kit is worth it otherwise. YMMV.

Oct 22, 2017 at 07:00 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Review - ProFoto A1

FrancisK7 wrote:
TTL is more consistent than other brands of TTL but most of us don't ever use TTL.9

Perhaps on camera.

FrancisK7 wrote:
You still have to go in a menu to change groups or power levels, it's not like the AC3 controller where you can just turn a wheel and its done.

It will probably be better than the Godox Xt1 for sure. The GUI on the Godox is bad.

FrancisK7 wrote:
So the A1's advantage over a V860II is weight (since you dont need maggrips on an A1) and the smoother falloff.

Grids aren't yet out, will probably be plastic and cost a fortune.

Profoto A1:
2000$ for 2 lights, 500$ for trigger, 300$ (?) for 2 grids, total: 2800$

For me three would be the bare minimum for a single shooter. But since there are two of us we frequently use seven V860II and I'm thinking of adding another one. So that is $7K without any modifiers to buy into the A1. At that cost Prophoto is not even a player in my mind.

I do like the implementation of their modifier system but it is not worth the premium that it costs to get this.

Another thing that the Godox has going for it, is the fact that their triggers are now all cross brand. I'm sure Prophoto will never offer that possibility.

Oct 22, 2017 at 04:03 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Review - ProFoto A1

I'm tomK, and I use off-camera TTL. Not ashamed. For grand entrances, toasts, and shooting decor it works — and works quickly.

Lurking under this thread is the utter disruption Chinese goods have brought to the market. Sure the ProPhoto has a better interface and better construction but at what price? You know it's bad when Lanny has to (in writing) throw his arms up and say (in summation) 'i know it's crazy, some people just like to buy expensive shit'. Wow, well that's enough justification — please, sign me up.

Oct 22, 2017 at 05:15 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Review - ProFoto A1

I use TTL during reception too but consistency doesn't matter as an exposure bump or adjustment is a 2s fix and part of my normal workflow already. Party photos do not require infallible precision. I've never had TTL be off the mark so much it clipped something.

If you do fashion, color critical work or have lots of disposable income, Profoto is for you.

For the average photographer like me it's above my paygrade and I don't have to choose because of capitalism and all.

That said they're no brainers for Erika and Lanny. They do so much flash heavy work especially during reception that they will pay for themselves in Fearless awards.

Oct 23, 2017 at 01:07 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Review - ProFoto A1

I might try these for on camera work in 2018, just waiting for feedback on new Yongnuo stuff.
Had sb910s, they were fine but hated additional triggers for ocf.
Have Godox now and it works, but not quite there yet. Overheats way too fast , even tried using tt685s with external pack, no help.

Oct 23, 2017 at 01:59 AM
Littleguy
• • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Review - ProFoto A1

Been using the Godox for about 2 / 3 years now - still using the MkI versions with the 433 Mhz remotes.

The complaints I have with them are:

1) Overheat protection kicks in way too fast for the V850 when firing at full power

2) AD360 trigger has a radio dead zone when I am shooting verticals and have the flash close to me - have to move the flash further away from the trigger - not a problem when on stands - but a big problem when I am doing the one man band carrying my own light on a stick for OCF

3) Capacitors have to be fullly charged before the flash will fire - my old SB-800 will fire even if the capacitors are not fully charged.

Those are my big issues with the MkI Godox lights.

Of course - I don't have 2.4 Ghz TTL / HSS versions - have heard that the Nikon triggers kicks the flash into HSS at 1/160 and not 1/320 which causes the overheat protection circuits to kick in way faster than if it was shooting at non-HSS power levels.

I believe that the Godox is just a pre-programmed number - there is no actual sensor in the flash to measure the heat levels - hit so many full power pops and the refresh cycle slows down automatically.

So the questions I have for anyone who has used the A1:

1) Will it fire with a partially charged capacitor?

2) When does the heat protection circuit kick in? Or is there a sensor built-into the flash to measure the actual temperature and shut the flash down or is it just a pre-programmed number like the Godox?

3) Any radio dead zones for the trigger system?

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:09 AM
eephoto
• • •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Review - ProFoto A1

I skipped to the end of the comments and stopped reading because I don't want to get caught up in people "bashing/complaining/jealous rhetoric" etc etc. Although I won't be buying the A1s (two kids getting ready to go to college!) I appreciated your review. Found it funny, loved that it was as technical as I am! IF I could afford them, I would seriously look at them...I don't know if it is just me, but I have followed you guys for years and I definitely noticed a new "je ne sais quoi" about the reception photos you shot with these babies. Nicely done (as usual).

Oct 28, 2017 at 02:05 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Review - ProFoto A1

I think some people underestimate the power of sexy. An incredibly well-designed, well-built tool can bring a whole lot of joy and ease of use. Of course they'll never be worth it as a straight value proposition, but for some it's worth having that feeling of excellence and "the best" every time they use it.

I won't be upgrading my Godox setup, since at this point I'm up to 6 860iis, 2 AD200s, and an AD600 (not to mention all the modifiers), but if I ran a simpler flash setup with a couple flashes and a strobe I might consider it. They are REAL sexy.

But between my Leica and Mac Pro, my overpriced sexy fleet is pretty maxed out.

Oct 28, 2017 at 05:46 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · Review - ProFoto A1

Read all 7 pages of this thread. Some interesting points made.
At first, I had no plans on purchasing these A1 boys... but I may now reconsider.
Had I started over again or cared to switch to another system, I’d never get these.
However, I’m heavily invested in profoto and already own B1’s, B2, Air Remote, modifiers, grids, etc
I guess it only makes sense for me to get two of these units to work with my profoto system

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:07 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · Review - ProFoto A1

I would think about if there where grids.....

Like mike, I am with the cheetah/godox world.
The ad200 is tough not to use.

Let’s see if I need a expense for next year.

Mark

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:58 AM
Elijah
• • • •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · Review - ProFoto A1

Guys, any update on shipment of the A1?

Dec 04, 2017 at 08:39 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · Review - ProFoto A1

I ask my local camera store about them and they've heard they are delayed until December or possibly January.

Dec 05, 2017 at 10:55 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · Review - ProFoto A1

There goes the hype.....

Dec 05, 2017 at 02:59 PM
Littleguy
• • •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · Review - ProFoto A1

Ziffl3 wrote:
There goes the hype.....

According to Fujirumours - pre-sales in US are strong for the A1...hence the reason for the delay - if you believe the rumours...

I believe they are already available in Europe - maybe Europe is taking all the available inventory.

https://www.fujirumors.com/profoto-a1-release-delayed-godox-makes-fuji-x-gfx-shooters-happy/

But I can see someone getting the A1 if they already have B1/B1x or B2s - can be used as an on camera trigger.

Dec 05, 2017 at 03:31 PM
Pharm86

p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · Review - ProFoto A1

Littleguy wrote:
According to Fujirumours - pre-sales in US are strong for the A1...hence the reason for the delay - if you believe the rumours...

I believe they are already available in Europe - maybe Europe is taking all the available inventory.

https://www.fujirumors.com/profoto-a1-release-delayed-godox-makes-fuji-x-gfx-shooters-happy/

But I can see someone getting the A1 if they already have B1/B1x or B2s - can be used as an on camera trigger.

I have the B1 Kit and wouldn't buy the A1 just for a remote. The Profoto TTL air remote works just fine. I'm still undecided on the purchase of the A1

Dec 05, 2017 at 09:04 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · Review - ProFoto A1

This is the setup I'm using now and it absolutely drives me nuts. During the A1 announcement, I originally told myself "enough with the gear, use what you have..." The price alone was nuts.
At the same time I'm all about simplicity and shooting effective and efficient so I decided to buy two A1's for next year season.
I gave it a lot of thought... I guess when I sell two speed lights, all of my triggers & receivers, it will not be all THAT bad.

Dec 05, 2017 at 11:41 PM
wenkanzhu
• •
p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · Review - ProFoto A1

Just got my a7RIII on hand and I did a quick test for my ad200 and v860ii.

It is proved both AD200 (with fresnel head) and v860ii can fire "unlimited" at 10fps with a7RIII in 1/32 power setting. The camera took 83 raw (compressed) shot before buffer overflow, no misfire in those 83 shots collections at all!

When I rise the power to 1/16, AD200 got 15 shots before misfire, V860II got 12.

For dark dance floor shooting, I believe 1/32 is quite enough for close up OCF as Two Mann used. So it is no significant advantage A1 has in this aspect. Basically all Lithium powered speedlights can last the whole night.

Dec 08, 2017 at 01:11 PM
       8       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

8       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.