New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · ND Filter and reducers

Frank Kearney
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ND Filter and reducers

I was thinking of buying a good 6-stop Breakthrough ND filter to fit my largest lenses (82mm) and the various step down rings to use the same filter on the smaller lenses sizes - (72mm and 77mm). Seems like the best way to get good quality without buying four or five filters. Is there any reason this would not be recommended?

Thanks

Sep 18, 2017 at 08:15 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ND Filter and reducers

It's a PITA to keep switching and the hoods can't be used on the stepped up rings.

EBH

Sep 18, 2017 at 09:11 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ND Filter and reducers

I haven't found a need to use a hood when shooting with the NDs I have. i'm usually on a tripod and if I need a shade I pop it out and use it. I also use the 82mm and work my way down.

Sep 18, 2017 at 09:57 PM
Frank Kearney
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ND Filter and reducers

sjms wrote:
...... I also use the 82mm and work my way down.

Sounds like a plan. Get one really good filter and use it for all. Thanks.

Frank

Sep 19, 2017 at 05:24 AM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ND Filter and reducers

Frank Kearney wrote:
Sounds like a plan. Get one really good filter and use it for all. Thanks.

Frank

That's what I do as well. 82mm filters and step-up rings for my two landscape lenses. For the GNDs, I just received the Breakthrough GNDs in the mail, and gonna put it through the paces soon.

Sep 19, 2017 at 06:32 AM
ATX353
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ND Filter and reducers

@ming-tzu, excited to hear your feedback on their GND's.

@Frank Kearney, another option would be to wait for Breakthrough's square ND filters, and then just get their holder. Breakthroughs' filters are great about eliminating vignetting from 16mm and up so the only issue I see, is if you used a step up ring and your 82mm and you shoot wide, you may experience some vignetting, which isn't the end of the world either.

Sep 19, 2017 at 08:40 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ND Filter and reducers

for specialized filtering (GNDs) I agree. I used to do them in the full square ND too. on the real high NDs like 10 and above I just found it easier (sealing and such) to go round. yes it does at times require me to remove to compose but then i'm not in that great a hurry as it is.

generally 16 or 17mm lenses are 82mm or 77mm and that about my limit.

Sep 19, 2017 at 08:47 AM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ND Filter and reducers

Usually, when I use filters, I'm in Live View mode. With the ND on, to compose, I just adjust settings to the brightest exposure time, compose, and then work on my actual picture taking settings. It's been working for me.

sjms wrote:
for specialized filtering (GNDs) I agree. I used to do them in the full square ND too. on the real high NDs like 10 and above I just found it easier (sealing and such) to go round. yes it does at times require me to remove to compose but then i'm not in that great a hurry as it is.

generally 16 or 17mm lenses are 82mm or 77mm and that about my limit.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:09 AM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ND Filter and reducers

I think your solution is fine...it depends on what lens you are using for your landscape photography. My landscape lens is a Sigma 18-35 and it uses 72mm. My other lens is a 70-200 from Tamron, VC, with 77mm. There are no reasons for me to get a 77mm in order to be able to use it on my Tamron 70-200. So, I just got the filter size for my Sigma instead.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:30 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.