New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe

msoomro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe

I will be in Sacramento end of December. It will be my first visit there and I will have couple days to wander around,

1. Thinking of driving to South Lake Tahoe. Does anyone know what the road condition are on that route towards end December?

2. What other photographic interest locations are around Sacramento?

Thanks
msoomro

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:45 PM
tsinsf
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe

Yogi Berra said: "It's often difficult to make predictions. Especially about the future". Highway 50 from Sacramento to South Tahoe crosses the Sierra crest, so if there is a snowstorm it can be snowy and there mightl be chain requirements. It is plowed regularly, so rarely totally closed. On weekends it can be very crowded when skiers are returning home. If there is no snowstorm, it's a piece of cake drive.

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:43 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe

The other main route is over Donner Pass, primarily by I-80 but some of the earlier highway stretches are still available. You can then reach Lake Tahoe going south from Truckee. Any weather issues would likely impact both routes and the greater area. The Lake Tahoe area is a popular ski resort destination with a number of resorts in the area and I-80 is a major transcontinental highway as well as the route to from the Bay area, Sacramento and Reno and there is a lot of holiday/recreational travel in the area.

Sacramento itself has some interesting areas, around the river, Old Sacramento, the railroad and other museums, some areas of pretty, old, Victorian homes. The "Delta" areas can have some interesting riverside vistas, old bridges. The Gold Rush country around Highway 49 has a number of historic old towns and mining areas dating from the 1849 Gold Rush era.

Sep 16, 2017 at 01:38 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe

@tainsf: thanks for the info. Quite helpful. I will be driving toyota Sequoia with snow tires so hopefully managable.
Any other attractions u can recommend within 60-90 minute drive off of Sacramento (No i dont want to go to SF

Cheers
Msoomro

Sep 16, 2017 at 02:14 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe

Thanks Craig. Much apprecited

Sep 16, 2017 at 03:48 PM
fishjump
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe

I split my time between SF and North Lake Tahoe, so travel between places every week.

AWD/4X4 with or without snow tires will be fine, unless an extreme storm comes through. If you are driving a regular 2-wheel drive car, then it would be prudent to carry chains - you can also buy these at various stores along the route. For reference, both my wife and I regularly used our Honda CR-V throughout all of last Winter with no problem. From Sacramento, allow a couple of hours to both South or North Tahoe in snow conditions. as others have said, ski traffic will be your enemy (especially Sunday afternoons).

Other than some scenic vistas (especially Hwy 80), there's really not much between the two locations. But of course Lake Tahoe is rich with locations.

Sep 17, 2017 at 08:07 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe

thanks fishjump. Quite helpful.. Since I will be shunting between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe around Christmas, hopefully not many skiers on the road :-). Keeping fingers crossed.

cheers
msoomro

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:40 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.