Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Tennessee–North Carolina-West Virginia or New England ?

abhisheks77
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tennessee–North Carolina-West Virginia or New England ?

Hello,

I am planning to fly from Seattle and choosing any weekend of October. Fall color is bonus for October, but I am looking for overall trip, which should consider fall foliage, landscapes and beautiful scenery. After doing some reading, I can see two options, first is Blue Ridge Parkway and Smokey Mountain and secondly New England Area. Flight distance or price is not decision factor, as Boston, Atlanta as well as Washington are having almost same fare and flight times.
Any suggestion, on what basis I should decide or what should I expect from both of these places ?

Thanks

Sep 09, 2017 at 03:32 PM
CreationBear
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tennessee–North Carolina-West Virginia or New England ?

I think you're looking at a good "leaf peeping" season no matter where you go: here in the Southern Appalachia's the forecast is for a somewhat earlier, but extremely colorful Fall.

http://archive.knoxnews.com/news/foliage-forecast-good-for-east-tennessee-ep-402936472-357476581.html/

Otherwise, several of us know the GSMNP pretty well if that ends up being your destination, so feel free to ask follow-up questions once your trip firms up. That said, realize the Autumn is high season for tourism in these parts, so reservations--both commercially and within the Park itself--are taken pretty quickly.

Sep 09, 2017 at 03:52 PM
abhisheks77
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tennessee–North Carolina-West Virginia or New England ?

CreationBear : Thanks for suggestion.

I understand, beauty is subjective and every place hold its own beauty.
To narrow down, I may have few considerations, which can help.
First consideration is, I will have full 4 days (not travel days) to see and drive places. If I talk about both options (long drives are ok with me) -
1- For New England, I will fly in Boston and will take a upper loop covering different places.
2- For NC/TN/VA, I can fly to Washington and drive till Atlanta and fly out. This will be via Smokey and some part of Blue Ridge Parkway.
Second consideration is, 7th October is not available for me to travel. Its previous weekend and later ones are available for me.
Third consideration is, my interests are not just pictures of foliage, but landscapes with foliage, red and yellow foliage (and hopefully blue skies). To give better shape to pictures, I think, it is good to have some countryside or beautiful architecture. Something like this - https://goo.gl/MUpG49

Sep 09, 2017 at 07:34 PM
CreationBear
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tennessee–North Carolina-West Virginia or New England ?

Third consideration is, my interests are not just pictures of foliage, but landscapes with foliage, red and yellow foliage

Well, you do seem to have a couple of great options--I don't know the "leaf forecast" for New England, but the combination of white clapboard structures and a preponderance of sugar maples might tip the scales in its favor, though I might think that "peak foliage" might be in the window before your October 7th date.

As for the Smokies, architecture will trend toward the rustic but there are some nice old churches in Cades Cove as well as Palmer Chapel in Cataloochee. (Along the BRP there's the famous Mabry Mill, but just the drive along the Parkway--or down the ridge in the Shenandoah Valley--is worth the price of admission.

At any rate, good luck with your planning--though one more piece of advice, don't underestimate your travel times...there will be a lot of cars on some narrow thoroughfares in many places.

Sep 10, 2017 at 08:44 AM
abhisheks77
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tennessee–North Carolina-West Virginia or New England ?

Looks like, I would want to choose New England, though my travel time will be 28th Sep to 3rd Oct. I understand that it can be early for few area, so do not know, which area I should skip and which to include and search for routes and places. Can anybody from New England area suggest and give some ideas ?
This is my only time (in next many years), when I will go that part of US, so want to choose it carefully.

It looks like, earlier dates (28th Sep to 3rd Oct) are good for Northern New England and later dates (12th Oct to 17th Oct) would be better for southern New England. Which can be considered as more photogenic for landscapes ?

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:30 PM
RandyR
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tennessee–North Carolina-West Virginia or New England ?

I have a house near linville NC. Fall on the blue ridge parkway is spectacular
3rd week in October is usuall peak
Some good places for wildlife as well
PM me for details

http://www.carolinasportsphotography.com/img/s/v-2/p210938611-4.jpg

http://www.carolinasportsphotography.com/img/s/v-2/p1567444366-4.jpg

Sep 11, 2017 at 09:19 AM
abhisheks77
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tennessee–North Carolina-West Virginia or New England ?

Thanks Randy. Beautiful pictures.
For this year, I am planning for New England. I hope, when I will reach there, will get few places in best shape
I will plan for Smokey for next year and will reach out to you, for any help. I appreciate your help.

Sep 11, 2017 at 01:03 PM
Ed McGuirk

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tennessee–North Carolina-West Virginia or New England ?

I live in Massachusetts, grew up in New Hampshire, and have photographed New England Fall color for over twenty years now (it never gets old)

The past several years the timing of New England foliage has been disrupted by warm weather in August and September, as well as a bad drought. These factors led foliage run late in both 2015 and 2016 (2015 was almost two weeks later than normal. The drought in 2016 led many people to believe it would be a bad foliage season, but in fact it contributed to very strong red colors, although the yellows and oranges were not as vibrant as normal.

However in 2017 it has been pretty rainy this spring and summer (ending our dought), and temps in August and September have been cooler than normal. We've been getting a lot of sunny days with cool nights in Aug/Sep, which are prime conditions to set up an excellent foliage year. Various fNew England foliage forecasts I have seen say this should be a very vibrant year with peak coming at "normal" times to maybe even a little bit early (take the early part with a grain of salt).

So you are planning to come from 9/28 to 10/3. In a "normal" year like 2017 is predicted to be, that is way too early for all but the very northern parts of VT, NH and Maine. Thus you should go the northeast Kingdom of VT, north of St Johnsbury, the Connecticut Lakes region near Pittsburg, NH, or Rangely Lakes / Baxter State Park in Maine. The main areas of the White and Green Mountains (Conway, NH, Lincoln, NH, Woodstock Vt, Waits River VT (the scene of your images), Central VT will all still be mostly green. For these areas to be approaching peak, you should be visiting from about 10/5 through 10/12. Acadia goes around mid-October.

If you are into farms/barns/quaint villages, then northeast and central Vermont are for you. If you like more wilderness landscapes with mountains, waterfalls, and rivers, then the White Mountains of New Hampshire are better. That is a generalization, both VT and NH have some of both the pastoral and wild landscapes.

Sep 11, 2017 at 01:31 PM
abhisheks77
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tennessee–North Carolina-West Virginia or New England ?

This is great info Ed.
Thanks for sharing this info with me. Accordingly, I will plan my places of visit.

Sep 11, 2017 at 01:51 PM
Ischgl99
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tennessee–North Carolina-West Virginia or New England ?

I live in Litchfield County CT and the trees here are already changing, and fairly fast. My wife just flew into Bradley airport and could not believe how much color there is in the state. In two weeks time, we could be at peak this far south. You might need to make your plans flexible since this is looking to be much earlier than past years.

If you decide to come to CT, the state DEP has some recommended routes for different parts of the state http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2697&q=322764&deepNav_GID=1631%20. The foliage report map does not look to be accurate, my driving around indicates we are two weeks early according to the map.

I have started planning some day trips around Litchfield County and came across this website that has some interesting points of interest I have not seen before and might be helpful to you if you come this way. http://www.litchfieldhills.com/attractions/options.jsp?oid=447

Enjoy your trip, this is my favorite time of year here in New England and makes the winters worth tolerating!

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:41 PM
abhisheks77
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tennessee–North Carolina-West Virginia or New England ?

Thanks Ischgl99
As of now, I am booking in St.Johnsbury area as my base location for all days and planning to do day trips from there. I hope, my decision is correct.
I will have option to cancel it, before 5 days of actual staying date. So, if I feel, I should change my base, I have flexibility to change to other place.

Sep 14, 2017 at 09:12 PM
Ed McGuirk

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tennessee–North Carolina-West Virginia or New England ?

Here is a link to a report from Jeff Foliage, who was actually up in Northern VT and New Hampshire on September 13. He shows that it is still mostly green, with smatterings of color here and there

https://www.jeff-foliage.com/2017/09/fall-foliage-report-12-sept-2017/

Yes up to now the weather has been cooler than normal, which is favorable for an early foliage season. But the weather forecast for the next week is to be warmer than normal, and then get rain from Jose's leftovers after that. This conditions will probably help slow down the progress of the season to being a "normal" time frame.

If this plays out to be a "normal" year, Northeast Vermont and Northern New Hampshire will be a wonderful place to visit during the first week in October.

Sep 15, 2017 at 04:49 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.