New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Need help identifying/finding a background muslin

WhoopDeDo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need help identifying/finding a background muslin

I'm trying to find the brand that Joey L uses in this image

More images from the series are here.

If you know of other brands that have similar subtle transitions, I'd love to hear about them. I'm trying to avoid the elementary school portrait-style of high-contrast muslins.

Sep 08, 2017 at 01:43 PM
mikejl29
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need help identifying/finding a background muslin

Joey regularly uses Oliphant backdrops. Expect to pay about $1,000.
Here's an interview with the backdrop painted Peter Hurley recently did.

Sep 08, 2017 at 02:20 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need help identifying/finding a background muslin

There are many cheap muslin background brands. The problem with cheap muslin backdrops is that they look (photograph) exactly like cheap muslin backdrops. Invest in high quality, tasteful muslin backdrops and they will pay for themselves many times over.

Another good source other than Oliphant, are hand-painted backdrops from David Maheu. See, www.backgroundsbymaheu.com The Kelly Classics may be similar to what you are looking for.

Sep 09, 2017 at 09:37 AM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need help identifying/finding a background muslin

Gravity Backdrops! http://www.gravitybackdrops.com/ You can also find them on instagram to get a price list.

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:27 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need help identifying/finding a background muslin

WhoopDeDo wrote:
I'm trying to find the brand that Joey L uses in this image

More images from the series are here.

If you know of other brands that have similar subtle transitions, I'd love to hear about them. I'm trying to avoid the elementary school portrait-style of high-contrast muslins.

Yeah gravity backdrops is probably your best bet in terms of something that's not super expensive.

Either that or find a friend that knows how to paint, and show them a few examples for them to emulate. Considering the price of materials can easily exceed $150-200 for the fabric, gesso, paints, various brushes, etc and you still might not end up with a backdrop that you like 100%, the 300 bucks or so that the gravity backdrops run is pretty reasonable.

The other part of it of course is people that have experience making backdrops know how to make one that will wear well over time with repeated use. My painted canvas backdrop was made locally about 10 years ago by a respected backdrop company that is no longer in business, and it was about $1200 new (it's a 10x16 though so quite large) and it still looks amazing.

I'd ponder and compare your options long and hard, because a good quality painted canvas backdrop is as much of an investment as a new lens. A well made one will last years of heavy use, and can take your portraits to another level. I know there's some who prefer to just composite in a painted canvas, but I feel like it's always pretty obvious when that is done. There's no replacing the real thing.

Oct 09, 2017 at 12:40 AM
takomaru
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need help identifying/finding a background muslin

Guys, thank you so much for posting this thread and the info of your responses. I started looking for large muslins and hand painted canvas for my new studio, and made the mistake of ordering some local Asian ones; that's just what I got, some cheap looking useless backdrops. It is very worth spending the money here as results could be disatrous and hate buying the similar item twice, plus not that cheap at all, a good canvas is hard to find and harder to replace, regards, takomaru

Oct 09, 2017 at 07:30 PM
jim atyeo

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need help identifying/finding a background muslin

I watched the video with Sarah and Peter Hurley and I almost passed out when Peter didn't know who Pete Turner was. OMG! He is one of the most iconic photographers ever. Sarah needs to take a ruler and smack Peter's hands with it.

Nov 27, 2017 at 08:47 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need help identifying/finding a background muslin

takomaru wrote:
Guys, thank you so much for posting this thread and the info of your responses. I started looking for large muslins and hand painted canvas for my new studio, and made the mistake of ordering some local Asian ones; that's just what I got, some cheap looking useless backdrops. It is very worth spending the money here as results could be disatrous and hate buying the similar item twice, plus not that cheap at all, a good canvas is hard to find and harder to replace, regards, takomaru

Another option that is a bit more expensive than the Gravity ones is Unique Backdrops. From what I've seen, they are a bit more like the Oliphant backdrops, and do some great Irving Penn-esque ones as well.

Nov 27, 2017 at 09:26 PM
takomaru
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need help identifying/finding a background muslin

Thanks, I ordered 4 from Mayheau, mixed muslin and canvas 12 x 20 ft, I couldn't get anything similar or even close here, I was using a couple of hand painted walls; one thing they can do here if you show them the pattern is paint a full wall, not bad if you build the curve

Nov 28, 2017 at 02:06 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need help identifying/finding a background muslin

takomaru wrote:
Thanks, I ordered 4 from Mayheau, mixed muslin and canvas 12 x 20 ft, I couldn't get anything similar or even close here, I was using a couple of hand painted walls; one thing they can do here if you show them the pattern is paint a full wall, not bad if you build the curve

Oh nice! Can you post up your thoughts when you receive them? Their price for a smaller 7x8 are very enticing, and I like that they're based in the US.

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:37 AM
takomaru
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need help identifying/finding a background muslin

ok, I'll post when they come in, I also ordered 1 canvas from Oliphant, very long but can't use it from both ends. If you just need smaller for portraits there's way too much to choose from, also I am not very sure on muslin vs canvas, some might be difficult to handle if too large, but for smaller sizes, canvas are very nice; I have to think my set well, this one's for a long time

Nov 29, 2017 at 07:03 AM
takomaru
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need help identifying/finding a background muslin

Been a while but it's taken a while to set things up. The studio has about 11 meters long, setting backdrops at both ends, decided on putting the brown-rusty-autum colors in one side and the grey-blue-slate on the other as I can have 2 rolls opened simultaneously without having to take them down. The canvas and muslins both are superb and both Maheu & Oliphant far exceed anything I've ever used or seen before. Canvases are very heavy and hard to keep rolling and unrolling them constantly. The 34 ft Oliphant the harder, huge and heavy, have been recommended to use a motored drive for this, but think it could turn into a nightnare if rolled badly; but terrific drop, as I can use different parts of it thus changing the motif quickly, leaving the lighter colors at the rolled up side.

sungphoto, I hope this is of some use for you, the smaller 7x8 should be as good for portriture, but a real long like the 34ft one, gives me a few full backdrops in one, and able to use full figure also. Regards, takomaru

Jan 15, 2018 at 07:57 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.