New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

johnvanr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

Other than the lack of the optical viewfinder and ND filter on the XE3, what are the key differences?

I have the X100F and like it, but I can't help wondering that I can get almost the same setup plus the flexibility to add other lenses in the future if I switch to the XE3 at some point.

I have no experience with Fuji's XE line, though, so I might be missing something.

Sep 07, 2017 at 10:57 AM
benee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

It's probably less tactile - no ISO dial on the XE3 and slightly less stealthy - the leaf shutter on the X100 series is great!

Still, if you're not really into the OVF on the X100F, the XE-3 probably makes a lots of sense.

Sep 07, 2017 at 11:32 AM
Alanu
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

Versatility seems to always win in my gear bag. I do not and cannot own a x100 body since I'm always wanting versatility in swapping lenses.

I know there are benefits in leaf shutter. The fact that HSS and TTL is now available in the fuji world I think many can get away with HSS and deal with the "less" power output of an HSS/TTL studio strobe. I think most X100 users probably do not use flash often anyways....my assumptions anyways.

The idea of having a tiny 23mm f/2 and X-e3 is great for versatility and size. Also pulling out a 35 f/1.4, 50 f/2 or 56 f/1.2 out of your pocket and do portraits........ No brainer in purchasing an interchangeable lens body.

Sep 07, 2017 at 11:52 AM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

XE3 shouldn't be soft wide open like the X100F.

Sep 07, 2017 at 02:57 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

My X100s is not at all soft wide open and it does not have the smudged extreme corners of the 23 f 2.0 which caused me to return both the 35 as well as the 23 f 2.0.

That said, I tend to now shoot about 30 percent Infra Red and have even pondered selling my favorite camera of all time, the X100s. I can always crop out the extreme corners, and they were really only there at the outer edges.

The X100 series has a tiny lens that balances like a dream on that small body and when Fuji said it was "optimized" for it's sensor, they weren't kidding. It's a beautiful imaging device. I sold my 23 F 1.4 and have not regretted using this body/lens for my 35 field of view shooting, except for two details. Infra red and having to carry a second battery/charger. One battery is a real nice detail of life.

What I love about the X100 series is the Leica style aides for the aperture, the nice solid aperture ring that does not move out of position unless you intend to move it and man oh man do I LOVE the leaf shutter. Flash any time I want it even in bright light. Add to that the option to use a optical viewfinder - no contest.

But that all said, the X-E3 sure seems like a sweet camera. It's tough to make a choice when it's all so good. My preference is to have four lenses and three bodies. that way only the 14 and 16 get swapped the 23 and 56 are permanently attached. And with Fuji that option fits nicely inside of a medium sized Domke.

So - both - is the only sensible choice.

Sep 07, 2017 at 03:36 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

The x100 lens is indeed a bit soft and never really gets biting micro contrast even stopped down. Its color separation and general color response also feel a bit lackluster. But this is comparing it to something like a ZF Zeiss lens. On its own, I think it's a pretty good enough lens for street or weddings or just general life style. I personally tried to love it but bought and sold various X100 cameras because it just didn't do it for me.

I think it has a certain look that a lot of wedding and portrait photographers like. It has decent macro contrast. You're definitely giving up something to make that lens that small but still be able to image APS-C.

Sep 07, 2017 at 04:07 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

I would seriously consider the XE3 with the 18/2 or 27 lenses. These lenses on the 24MP Xtrans sensor are just great. There is talk of Fuji of upgrading the XF 18 and for this reason alone I would opt for the XE3. I am not really a 35mm eff FL shooter, so 28mm or 50mm is my choice.

Sep 07, 2017 at 05:02 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

FlyPenFly wrote:
The x100 lens is indeed a bit soft and never really gets biting micro contrast even stopped down. Its color separation and general color response also feel a bit lackluster. But this is comparing it to something like a ZF Zeiss lens. On its own, I think it's a pretty good enough lens for street or weddings or just general life style. I personally tried to love it but bought and sold various X100 cameras because it just didn't do it for me.

I think it has a certain look that a lot of wedding and portrait photographers like. It
...Show more

I have two suggestions:

a) clean the front element more often
b) curse your bad luck due to getting one of the rare poor sample variation on the X100

Because what you are saying is not at all representative of the X100 series experience.

Quoting DpReview "Its lens is really sharp, even wide open, at most working distances, only really losing that sharpness close-up."

That has been my experience completely - only a loss in micro contrast and overall contrast at macro focus wide open. And I've had quite a number of Zeiss lenses over the years that couldn't come close - partly because of many Zeiss's field curvatures and the fact that most outside of true macros most Zeiss lenses don't do very close focus, compared to the X100 series 10cm close focus capabilities.

The macro range on that lens drops you a bit in contrast and sharpness but what a great feature to have. By contrast the close focus distance on the 23 f 2.0 is an underwhelming 22cm. The 23 f 1.4 is an even more abysmal 28cm. Ouch. I'll take a small drop in IQ for that near macro fability and it should be factored into the purchasing equation.

Score one knockout for the diminutive X100 series. A tiny gem.

Sep 07, 2017 at 06:49 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

If you plan to only shoot a 23mm f/2 lens, the x100f may be the better choice. It is a tight little camera that is quick to use, especially in street photography and similar situations. Unless you plan to swap out lenses, the removable lens camera doesn't provide many advantages and it has some downsides.

On the other hand, if you do think you will want to use multiple lenses (or even, in some situations, a soon), the XE3 gives you that flexibility.

Sep 07, 2017 at 07:00 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

$1149 - $450 makes the camera $700. That's not too bad if you plan to get the 23mm.

Sep 07, 2017 at 07:47 PM
whensly

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

Just offed my X-E2 & 23mm lens to channel $ towards Sony FF glass but boy do i miss that little cam. So today i'm thinking about channelling the $ back into Fuji. Now I'm debating the sane thing X-E3 or X100F? I will say this , the X100F (or any of that series) are great for their svelt form factor. When i had the X100s it went everywhere w me and was never obtrusuve. The X-E2 was great because i have a lot of glass and like the versitility, but ultimatley the beauty of the X100F is that you can't change glass so you'll never think about it, that can be liberating.

I think i go X100F. (I have studio cameras fir the pro work) this is the fun-cam

Sep 07, 2017 at 08:56 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

Doesn't have to to be a this vs that type of situation, as an X100 variant can nicely compliment other X bodies.

For the price of adding a 23mm and then a speed light like the EF-X20 to an XPro2 you could nearly pick up a X100t on the used market or pay even less for an older version still, all with the added versatility of a spare body, the useful fill flash ability of the leaf shutter, and the simple easy-to-carry X100 body size.

There are certainly places I'd rather go with a $700 X100t than a $1500 Xpro2, with a $400 lens, and a $150 speed light. By that same token, there are times I'd get far more enjoyment and image variety if I carried something like a 18mm f2 and a 35/1.4 in a small shoulder bag with a XE3, XPro2 etc

Case in point, at a Disney park this past weekend I had the XT2, 18-55, and 35/1.4. Good versatile setup I'm sure everyone would agree, however, I honestly only took some pictures with the wider end of the 18-55, and since we were there during the harsher daylight hours, I could of really used some fill-flash. Didn't bring one though just because it was one more thing in the bag, and a bag I might add, I could of been happier actually not carrying given how little gear I used from it.

Seriously planning on buying an X100 again for that very purpose, family snapshots where size/weight are important and where that daylight fill-flash comes in really handy to give pretty blue skies with well exposed subjects, on a sunny 90 degree Florida afternoon.

Still got the 23/1.4 option on the other bodies should I want it, and the X100 just gives a slightly different set of options, and options are nice to have. I mean heck, how many of us have multiple overlaps for given focal lengths ?

I've got a 10-24, a 18/2 and a 18-55, all three giving me 18mm equiv, from f2 to f4, and yet I use them for totally different shooting needs and shooting outings.

The 10-24 isn't going to replace when I'd carry a 18mm f2.0 compact prime, any more than a 18mm f2 prime is going to replace the range and versatility of the 10-24 when I'm going out to shoot a landscape.

Just so many great tools in the Fuji shed, and honestly all of them are pretty darn good.

Maybe keep the X100F, and instead of the pricier XE3, grab a used XE2 for $500 or less, and throw a great compact wide angle like the 14/2.8 onto it, or add the 35/1.4 or f2 version.

Going out and want to travel light, just grab the X100F. More serious photographic trip, throw the XE2 into a little shoulder bag, keep the X100F around your neck. Lot less changing lens, you've got a camera always at the ready, you've got focal length options

I've owned every Fuji body to date, and while all are good in their own ways, none of them ever fully did what the X100 can do.

At the very least, I'd keep the X100F when you add on a Xe3, provided you go that route, and then and only then, if you don't find your using the X100F, sell it.

If you sell it now, just to buy a XE3 and 23/2, find you miss the X100F, and have to rebuy it, your just wasting money going in circles (been there done that!)

Sep 07, 2017 at 10:04 PM
Fulwild

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

X-E3 and 27mm f2.8 because small and light is good. If you want to do portraits get the 56. I have always liked the 40mm (FFEQ) considerably more than either the 35mm or the 50mm view as it more closely reflects the way I see. I have found that I don’t mind trading 1 f-stop for essentially a lens that is 1/2 the weight and depth of either of the 35mm (50FFEQ)lenses. I bought a X-E2s and it has become my daily camera. I use my X100s when quiet or pocketability is paramount and my X-T1 with a grip if I’m shooting with a long (55-140) lens. The X-E3 is moving toward the X100 size which is truely pocketable.

Sep 07, 2017 at 11:20 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

If you already have an X100F, and you don't miss other focal lengths, then stick with it.

Personally, though, I'd go X-E3 with the 23/2. In fact, I usually carry an X-Pro2 with the 23/2 as my everyday camera.

Sep 08, 2017 at 12:49 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

Pavel wrote:
I have two suggestions:

a) clean the front element more often
b) curse your bad luck due to getting one of the rare poor sample variation on the X100

Because what you are saying is not at all representative of the X100 series experience.

Quoting DpReview "Its lens is really sharp, even wide open, at most working distances, only really losing that sharpness close-up."

That has been my experience completely - only a loss in micro contrast and overall contrast at macro focus wide open. And I've had quite a number of Zeiss lenses over the years that couldn't come close - partly because of
...Show more

I mean, I had more than one. I got a few images from even my original X100 that I still enjoy today. And I keep my front element very clean

I am definitely not the first one to complain about the sharpness of the X100 lens. Like I said, it's good enough but it's not great.

Sep 08, 2017 at 09:53 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

I certainly agree that it doesn't have to be an either or situation. As much as I like my X100s there have been times I thought to sell it, but never due to there being something I did not like about the X100 series. It was always a case of perhaps the grass turned a bit greener over yonder.

Many times I've thought that I have too much stuff and that it actually hinders my photography rather than helping. So much gear and all of it having just a bit different a layout - I have to think too much rather than like in the old days with two Nikon FM3hp's. that makes it hard to be in the flow of things, at least for me.

In truth I've long longed for Fuji bring out a identical triplet of X100 bodies with identical layouts with approximately a 16 f 2.8, the 23 f 2.0 and a 40 or 50 f 2.something ... keeping the small lens size. Then I could go on about how changing lenses is "so yesterday". But it does not look like the Fuji Leprechaun has it in mind.

So as much as I like the X100 for what it does so well, I could see myself getting a 23 f 1.4 and using both. Specially since I like infra red and the 23 F 1.4 is a fantastic performer in IR. Money is the only problem of course. Isn't it always.

Sep 08, 2017 at 10:03 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

I've always found the X100 lens to be just fine within its, or more accurately, 'my' typical operating environment for it.

Its a camera I've used for things like family photography, "street" photography, travel snapshots and the like, and I think to some degree, that is what it was intended for.

I'll be the first to say a lens like the Fuji 16/1.4 is sharper across the frame, and by all accounts, could be said to be a "better" lens for things like landscape photography, but, that lens is bigger than, and cost nearly as much as the X100 does.

Horses for courses really....

Would I take the X100 as my only camera on a dedicated landscape photography trip, hike 3 hours, mount it on my best tripod, and expect the absolute "best" landscape resolution possible ?

Of course not, there are better tools within the Fuji realm for that type of application, and frankly, there are other camera choices all together that I'd opt for if my goal was producing the finest technical quality possible.

Again though, that is really what the X100 seems to be designed for. It wasn't a blank canvas with the goal of the finest 35mm possible, regardless of cost and size. Instead, I think the goal was likely first and foremost to keep it compact, keep it relatively fast, and hit a price point. The 23mm f1.4 I think was built to prioritize optics and speed above all else, which meant it turned out pretty darn big/heavy, and its also not cheap.

I think one basically needs to determine what their photographic output goals are for a given camera, and/or shooting trip et al., and then determine what compromises they are willing to make to achieve those, such as buying/carrying larger and heavier glass, tripods, you name it.

I've hauled my Toyo 4x5 tripod on a hiking trail before, and I've also left the house on most days with just my iPhone, with the intent that any snapshot I'm bound to take a trip to the store, or a casual walk etc, will be "good enough"

"good enough" is a subjective measure, with obvious inter-subject variability, and even intra-subject variability on a day to day basis.

Personally, I find the more tools I've got, the better I can find the best compromise for a given day, and my "good enough" standard.

Sep 08, 2017 at 10:19 AM
rosman21
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

The 23mm F2 was so bad wide open on my XPro2 and my x100F would always beat it out wide open.

With that said I am waiting for the X-E3 with the new 18mm that will be a great combo.

Sep 08, 2017 at 10:25 AM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

I don't find the 23/2 any worse wide open than the X100 lens, personally. It's a weak spot for both.

Sep 08, 2017 at 10:38 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fuji XE3 with 23/2 lens vs Fuji X100F

rosman21 wrote:
The 23mm F2 was so bad wide open on my XPro2 and my x100F would always beat it out wide open.

With that said I am waiting for the X-E3 with the new 18mm that will be a great combo.

Mine 23 f 2.0 was fine as far as sharpness wide open. It only dropped a bit in contrast but that is to be expected and just fine with me. What I found to be poor on it were the extreme corners and that's why I returned both it as well as the 35 f 2.0. I wonder if you didn't have a bad copy? It happens.

In hind sight I should have just kept it and cropped a bit. that would've been like having a 24 or 25. I think I over-reacted.

I'm glad that there are rumors that a new 18 is in the works but if it's to stay a pancake I doubt highly that they can make it much better than the one we already have, optically. I would't count to much that it will be a radical improvement. From what I know there isn't that much that can be done to such a simple pancake lens, even at high price points. But then of course I don't know all that much about optics.

Sep 08, 2017 at 02:59 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.