Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

dukenukem
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

I'm in love with the 8mm f / 1.8 fisheye, It does not serve all occasions, but it is quite effective in night scenery.

Vieja Cúpula by Diego Garín Martín, en Flickr

On The Needles by Diego Garín Martín, en Flickr

Little Big Eye by Diego Garín Martín, en Flickr

The Eye Of The Beholder by Diego Garín Martín, en Flickr

Sep 08, 2017 at 05:34 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

Only you can pull this off, Diego! I would love a rectilinear fast ultra w/a lens of this quality!

dukenukem wrote:
I'm in love with the 8mm f / 1.8 fisheye, It does not serve all occasions, but it is quite effective in night scenery.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4347/36593403535_c64e15e788_o.jpgVieja Cúpula by Diego Garín Martín, en Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7347/26305625814_cf65d383ab_o.jpgOn The Needles by Diego Garín Martín, en Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7799/17741497266_7042dda2d1_o.jpgLittle Big Eye by Diego Garín Martín, en Flickr

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8809/17928623012_5d036ca1cf_o.jpgThe Eye Of The Beholder by Diego Garín Martín, en Flickr

Sep 08, 2017 at 10:24 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

dukenukem wrote:

wow, you sure know how to put that fishey to amazingly good use. Those are super.

Sep 08, 2017 at 03:01 PM
dukenukem
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

I'm tired of asking Olympus for a rectilinear 7-8 or 9mm f1.4 or 1.8

Sep 09, 2017 at 07:08 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
The Zeiss 21mm is indeed the gold standard. I had it (the ZF.2) with the D810, and have often considered buying a full frame camera again for that lens alone.

If I buy the Zuiko fisheye, it will not be my only ultra WA. I already bought the Panasonic 7-14mm. The nice thing with m4/3 is that carrying both isn't too much of a hassle. Their combined weight is around the same as the Zeiss 21mm

That's like the biggest reason I am considering a larger sensor again, Zeiss lenses, in particular the 21mm but also some of the others. Just looked through the Loxia thread with all those beautiful star bursts from those lenses, no other lenses come close really.

The 8 1.8 Fisheye does look more and more interesting though.

@Dukenukem those are amazing, I know I've seen them before and that I have commented before but they are indeed amazing. Like Bobby said, only you can pull that off.

For someone who has never used fisheye I need to ask, how to you get the horizon as straight as you do? Post process and crop? Or just very careful selection of the subject in order to hide the fisheye effect?

And please keep nagging Olympus about a wide rectangular prime, don't get tired of it

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:03 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

Wilbus wrote:
That's like the biggest reason I am considering a larger sensor again, Zeiss lenses, in particular the 21mm but also some of the others. Just looked through the Loxia thread with all those beautiful star bursts from those lenses, no other lenses come close really.

The 8 1.8 Fisheye does look more and more interesting though.

@Dukenukem@ those are amazing, I know I've seen them before and that I have commented before but they are indeed amazing. Like Bobby said, only you can pull that off.

For someone who has never used fisheye I need to ask, how to you
...Show more

If you keep the horizon vertically centered and level, it will be straight, also with a fisheye. The same goes for horizontally centered verticals.

Sep 11, 2017 at 01:12 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
If you keep the horizon vertically centered and level, it will be straight, also with a fisheye. The same goes for horizontally centered verticals.

So in short, keep the horizon in the middle of the frame? That's what I thought but Diego seems to be able to keep it off center which makes me wonder wether it's post cropping or some other Diego magic?

His photos makes me want the fisheye more and more though :-/

So many lenses, so many choices. Fisheye? PL 8-18? Sony A7 with a Loxia 21? ARGH!

Sep 11, 2017 at 01:49 AM
dukenukem
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

Jorgen Udvang wrote:

Sep 11, 2017 at 08:51 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

You can always crop/recompose in post so it's visually appealing and the main subject is off-center. I do that all the time.

Wilbus wrote:
So in short, keep the horizon in the middle of the frame? That's what I thought but Diego seems to be able to keep it off center which makes me wonder wether it's post cropping or some other Diego magic?

His photos makes me want the fisheye more and more though :-/

So many lenses, so many choices. Fisheye? PL 8-18? Sony A7 with a Loxia 21? ARGH!

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:53 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

bobbytan wrote:
You can always crop/recompose in post so it's visually appealing and the main subject is off-center. I do that all the time.

Yeah that was what I was thinking but still not quite sure how straight one can get a fisheye effect without losing too much quality?

Thanks for the advice, like I said, I have never used a fisheye but Diego's shots and Jorgens comments about it makes it look interesting.

Sep 11, 2017 at 03:16 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

As long as you are completely square to your subject/landscape, you will get a straight horizontal line ... but you will also get severe barrel distortion at the corners/sides when you have vertical lines. Not good for architectural photography but you can get away with landscape work.

Wilbus wrote:
Yeah that was what I was thinking but still not quite sure how straight one can get a fisheye effect without losing too much quality?

Thanks for the advice, like I said, I have never used a fisheye but Diego's shots and Jorgens comments about it makes it look interesting.

Sep 11, 2017 at 07:02 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

bobbytan wrote:
As long as you are completely square to your subject/landscape, you will get a straight horizontal line ... but you will also get severe barrel distortion at the corners/sides when you have vertical lines. Not good for architectural photography but you can get away with landscape work.

Thanks Bobby

I believe my main idea with it would be landscape and most likely night skies. But feel the money would probably be better spent elsewhere, like a super wide angle zoom.

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:30 PM
maf27
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

dukenukem wrote:
I'm tired of asking Olympus for a rectilinear 7-8 or 9mm f1.4 or 1.8

Please keep trying. I would even be happy with a 10mm f2.8 as long as it is much more compact than the 7-14 f2.8 zoom.

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:47 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

You should check out the Laowa 7.5/2 lens, which is rectilinear, super-compact, and fast. This a great lens for travel and for shooting landscapes/seascapes, interior images like churches, and night-sky photography. But I am still tossed between this fast fixed lens and the slower but more versatile PL 8-18 zoom lens.

maf27 wrote:
Please keep trying. I would even be happy with a 10mm f2.8 as long as it is much more compact than the 7-14 f2.8 zoom.

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:10 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · A fast, wide prime, come on!

bobbytan wrote:
You should check out the Laowa 7.5/2 lens, which is rectilinear, super-compact, and fast. This a great lens for travel and for shooting landscapes/seascapes, interior images like churches, and night-sky photography. But I am still tossed between this fast fixed lens and the slower but more versatile PL 8-18 zoom lens.

Can really only think of night skies as a reason to go for the faster F2 unless one weights in size as well. And in that case the 8 1.8 might be better idea anyway? For landscapes I would stop down anyway but of course, there are always special cases when one might want the faster F2.

Sep 12, 2017 at 02:43 PM
       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.