New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Getting tired of the bickering and squabbling on threads

Eric Larsen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Getting tired of the bickering and squabbling on threads

Perhaps the mods could up their game with regard to the constant squabbling and bickering within threads. I've been a member at Fred's otherwise fine site for 15 years and I can tell you that it's gotten out of control compared to "earlier times."

There appear to be people who just cannot resist trolling and others who cannot resist taking the bait. Then it's a free for all.

What's painful for me about this is that I have to work at finding the relevant information within threads that derail sometimes for entire pages.

It's so beneath this otherwise fine endeavor of a web site.

I belong to another enthusiast's site (for acoustic guitar) that has a "be nice" policy. It's enforced. You can disagree, you can argue, but you must do so respectfully and as an adult. When it gets chippy, personal, or with insult, you're warned or flagged.

Where did the civility go on FM?

Sep 02, 2017 at 09:27 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Getting tired of the bickering and squabbling on threads

"There appear to be people who just cannot resist trolling and others who cannot resist taking the bait. Then it's a free for all."

I agree with your entire premise and my "Hide" list is full. Wish there was some way to just delete those people from being displayed when I log in. It's not just trollers either.
I have discussed this with Fred.

Sep 03, 2017 at 08:07 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Getting tired of the bickering and squabbling on threads

This has been discussed a few times in the last couple of years. I know Fred has a very specific idea of how he would like the forums to be moderated. He is generally very understanding, patient, and strives to be inclusive so that this forum can be host to a wide variety of talents and opinions, but I agree that there are some members who come across as having an attitude or being rude, disrespectful, or argumentative. He has taken action against a number of offenders, including limiting posting privileges and even banning people. That hasn't kept a few notable members from either cutting back their participation, or leaving completely.

All that said, the forums seem to run fine most of the time due to the generally mature and cooperative membership, but I have sometimes wondered if it wouldn't be helpful to have a couple of moderators helping Fred out to address issues as they arise. His site, his call .

Sep 03, 2017 at 10:43 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Getting tired of the bickering and squabbling on threads

It's sure different from what it was like ten years ago. Very sad.

Sep 03, 2017 at 11:03 AM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Getting tired of the bickering and squabbling on threads

My take is that things like this run in cycles, no matter the forum. Have seen this repeated on any number of forums that seemed to be well run with courteous, thoughtful members.

The mere fact that there is anonymity behind the keyboard seems to incentivize some folks to "stir the pot". For awhile, tempers flare, some threads get closed, then peer pressure seems to weed out most (not all ) of the troublemakers. Ah, forum life is finally back to normal.

All that said, I still feel like the FM forum is better than most out there regarding image quality, knowledgeable members, and general civility.

Sep 03, 2017 at 01:25 PM
Eric Larsen
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Getting tired of the bickering and squabbling on threads

Thanks for the sentiments and thoughts. Yeah, ten to fifteen years ago, the site seemed to garner enthusiasts with just a little bit of an academic or worldly intellectualism that made for spirited and thoroughly civil discussion.

These days, flippant, less well thought out communications seem more common. Oh well...maybe I'm just becoming the Clint Eastwood character..."get off my lawn!"

Sep 05, 2017 at 09:00 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Getting tired of the bickering and squabbling on threads

Danpbphoto wrote:
I agree with your entire premise and my "Hide" list is full. Wish there was some way to just delete those people from being displayed when I log in. It's not just trollers either.
I have discussed this with Fred.

While I am loathe to use Hide Me I find I use it on a couple of people. I too wish reminders of their presence could be totally invisible, but feel for Fred with such petty demands like new writing code.

Sep 06, 2017 at 08:59 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Getting tired of the bickering and squabbling on threads

I agree completly with everyone's assessments. I contribute to threads but if the thread gets silly with all the brand craziness and chest pounding, I just log-off.

Fred wants us to police ourselves by reporting abuse which I have done when the comments are clearly non-gear related and immature. Members are supposed to be adults and act accordingly. Regretably, some don't know what that means and their inner keyboard warrior comes out.

It's really too bad what has happened here because I did learn alot in the early years when I first joined. Can't say that's happening now. The big reason why I keep coming back is because there are some very talented photographers posting their excellent work here.

Sep 06, 2017 at 05:58 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Getting tired of the bickering and squabbling on threads

Some people can't admit when they are wrong and have forgotten the art of the apology. Others seem hell-bent on dominating and winning. But that's life - a cocktail of personalities.

Sep 07, 2017 at 01:32 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.