New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Digital Art, Smartphone & Abstract | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · A new and easier way to do custom bokeh shapes

micaelwidell

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A new and easier way to do custom bokeh shapes

I wanted to try this old trick of making custom bokeh shapes by cutting out shapes in paper and putting it in front of the lens. I am sure many of you have seen the example photos.

But when I started trying to cut out shapes in thick paper, I quickly realized that it is hard to do detailed shapes, and that I suck at this kind of work. I started thinking about other ways to do it. And I came up with the idea of printing aperture shapes on overhead film in a laser printer. That way, I can make very detailed bokeh shapes, and my bokeh balls can also be made of images with different shades! I can for example take any emoji, and make it into a bokeh shape. Pretty cool huh?

It is all explained in this video:

Sep 02, 2017 at 02:53 AM
crteach
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A new and easier way to do custom bokeh shapes

I'll bet there are plenty of unused overheads in the desks and closets of veteran teachers! I know I still had several when I retired!!

Sep 02, 2017 at 08:11 PM
CDalessandro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A new and easier way to do custom bokeh shapes

Thank you!

Sep 04, 2017 at 10:53 AM
micaelwidell

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A new and easier way to do custom bokeh shapes

For anyone trying this, make sure that you are using overhead film made for laser printers in a laser printer, and overhead film made for inkjet printers in an inkjet printer. Otherwise I think you might risk damaging your printer!

Sep 05, 2017 at 04:19 AM
Pibblepictures

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A new and easier way to do custom bokeh shapes

Very cool idea. I have a few boxes of transparencies left over from grad school (was taught to have backups in case of technology failure) and had wondered what I was going to do with these!

Sep 09, 2017 at 11:25 PM

FM Forums | Digital Art, Smartphone & Abstract | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.