New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · new E-M10iii is out

stan2
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · new E-M10iii is out

16mp sensor. I was hoping the 20mp sensor would show up down the line, but not yet. Maybe the next M5. Or maybe I oughta just get the PEN F. Any rumors on an update there?

https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/preview/olympus-omd-em10-ii-vs-omd-em10-iii/

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:08 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · new E-M10iii is out

I like that this update has 5-axis stabilisation, IB.

Apart from the weather-resistant body, sensor resolution, 4K video, and not being able to control flash units optically, what does the E-M1 Mk II have that this tiny toy does not?

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:48 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · new E-M10iii is out

It looks very nice indeed but can't see any real performance updates from the Mark II. Nothing wrong with it of course, a great camera I am sure, just like the Mark II.

Personally I was hoping Olympus would put the new 20mp sensor in all their model from the E-M1.2 and onwards but apparently not. I think they will lose the consumer base who knows too little and only goes for "high MP count" due to the 16mp sensor. It's a great sensor but most people don't understand how few pixels you really need for large prints, not to mention web size and phone size viewing.

I would say your best bet for a 20mp camera from Olympus now is the Pen-F or the E-M1.2, depending on how much you would like to spend. Otherwise there is the Panasonic camp with the GX8 (if it can still be had) or the GH5 which is as expensive or more expensive than the E-M1.2.

The Pen-F was released in early 2016 so I doubt it will be updated before 2019. The E-M5.2 was released in 2015 I believe and thus I would guess on an update in 2018 at the earliest. Olympus have "said" they aim to keep their cameras alive longer via firmware updates and release new models with longer time spans so it might be longer.

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:49 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · new E-M10iii is out

There are some very nice features. The Easy Shooting modes are great for those who are camera-phobic or technically challenged.

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/omd/e-m10-mark-iii.html?utm_content=block1&utm_campaign=em_em10markiii_us&utm_source=email_etprm&utm_medium=email&emid=bobby@icla.com

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:08 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · new E-M10iii is out

Kit Laughlin wrote:

Apart from the weather-resistant body, sensor resolution, 4K video, and not being able to control flash units optically, what does the E-M1 Mk II have that this tiny toy does not?

I think the EM1.2 is still going to be superior in AF, especially tracking. The 20mp does better at high ISO than the older 16mp sensor, whether it is improved in this camera will have to be seen. Better battery life as I don't think this new camera has the newer, larger battery. Dual card slots, I'm terrible about using this feature but it is important to some.

Still seems like a pretty solid consumer camera.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:45 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · new E-M10iii is out

The AF on the E-M1.2 is definitely more superior (but still no match compared to a DSLR) because of Dual F.A.S.T. AF (Contrast & Phase Detection AF) all cross type. The E-M10 III is contrast detection only. Also, the sequential speed is not as fast as the E-M1.2. But the E-M10 III is not meant to be a bird photographers' camera. Besides, the 300/4 lens will not balance well on the smaller/lighter body. But it's otherwise a great and feature-loaded camera for travel, street and general-purpose photography.

Aug 31, 2017 at 01:28 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · new E-M10iii is out

Very disappointing that they have stuck with the 16mp sensor

Aug 31, 2017 at 01:52 PM
Bobg657
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · new E-M10iii is out

I agree that current users probably won't upgrade but this is the first serious effort to attract smartphone users, and offers significant improvements to the user interface (which many currently dislike). Their challenge now is to reach their target audience with a full press marketing campaign on social media!

Aug 31, 2017 at 03:23 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · new E-M10iii is out

There is really not a big difference between 16 and 20mp. Better noise reduction and better DR is more important IMO.

pr4photos wrote:
Very disappointing that they have stuck with the 16mp sensor

Aug 31, 2017 at 05:11 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · new E-M10iii is out

Robin Wong's thoughts on the camera:

http://blog.mingthein.com/2017/08/31/review-2017-olympus-e-m10-mark-iii/

Aug 31, 2017 at 07:03 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · new E-M10iii is out

Kit Laughlin wrote:

The "old' EM10 mkII already had 5 axis IBIS, the first MK1 version of the camera had 3 axis

The EM1.2 also has phase detect AF, far faster shooting speed, features like "Pro Capture", faster sensor readout which makes the e-shutter actually usable for action, and improved 5 axis IBIS, the high rez capture mode etc etc

EM10 mk3, like the mk2 packed a good deal of cool features, like live comp and live time mode, which many brands don't ever offer an any product level, but the EM1.2 is a totally different class of camera

Aug 31, 2017 at 07:21 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · new E-M10iii is out

@millsart: thanks for that correction; that makes the "old" EM10 II, now that prices are revised, a bargain, I feel.

Sep 01, 2017 at 03:21 AM
Aristophanes
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · new E-M10iii is out

Look at the video ads and marketing for this camera and you see that Olympus is trying to make the camera an app.

This I question as the emphasis appears to be on either presets or post-processing using the camera's 3" screen rather than uploading swiftly to a mobile OS device for superior app responsiveness, options, connectivity, and screen real estate.

ILCs still are not playing nice with what is emerging as the dominant (by far) OS, and that is mobile OS, either Android or iOS. This camera is a step towards that, but confuses the options. I just don't see how a smartphone user will transition to a 3" screen as a downgrade while upgrading sensor and optics.

Sep 01, 2017 at 11:18 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · new E-M10iii is out

I read somewhere that Olympus was going to put a 16mp sensor in EM1.2, which they developed themselves. The sensor was different from other 16mp sensors, it was special. In the end they chose a 20mp sensor.

Could it be the same sensor?

Sep 01, 2017 at 11:54 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · new E-M10iii is out

I'm simply hoping for an update ... of their awful naming schemes.

Sep 05, 2017 at 04:25 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.