New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Cloud Service Options - Alternatives to Crash Plan

mholdef
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cloud Service Options - Alternatives to Crash Plan

I've been using Crash Plan for the past couple years and just received notice that they will be abandoning the Consumer segment and moving to Businesses. They leave the option to stay, but at $10 a month per device, which is a big increase compared to the $60 annual fee for multiple devices.

Can anyone recommend an alternative service that costs less than $100 per year, for multiple devices (2 would be enough for desktop + laptop). I currently have about 4 To of data, so a service option that would go to 5 or even 10 To would be what I'm looking for.

Thanks +++

Mark

Aug 26, 2017 at 04:56 AM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cloud Service Options - Alternatives to Crash Plan

Not sure of the cost but Backblaze is the current best offering. Much faster seeding than Crashplan too.

Aug 26, 2017 at 07:41 AM
pjheller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cloud Service Options - Alternatives to Crash Plan

I've been looking, too, since Crashplan sent out its notice. Couple of options seem to be Backbaze, Carbonite and iDrive. Still searching.

Aug 27, 2017 at 04:14 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cloud Service Options - Alternatives to Crash Plan

If you are a Mac user, Tidbits has a very comprehensive write-up followed by very pertinent comments and suggestions by readers.

Aug 27, 2017 at 08:19 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cloud Service Options - Alternatives to Crash Plan

I currently use Carbonite. I'll continue to use them but I'm getting ready to buy a couple of 8TB HDD's and back-up each day and swap drives every week to an offsite location. Just can't be sure if Carbonite will also stay in business for a long time.

Aug 27, 2017 at 11:59 PM
barry685

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cloud Service Options - Alternatives to Crash Plan

you might want to checkout opendrive.

Aug 28, 2017 at 06:15 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cloud Service Options - Alternatives to Crash Plan

doesn't amazon, microsoft and google have decent plans?

Aug 28, 2017 at 06:35 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cloud Service Options - Alternatives to Crash Plan

A second for Backblaze.

Aug 28, 2017 at 07:26 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cloud Service Options - Alternatives to Crash Plan

I like backblaze but it is forever behind my computer. They do not offer seeding the backup with an external HD. Other than that, I like it.

Aug 28, 2017 at 07:46 PM
joel022484
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cloud Service Options - Alternatives to Crash Plan

I chose to stay on their business plan for the year @ 75% off. $2.50/month is a good deal and will buy me enough time to figure out what I want to do by the time it runs out.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:48 AM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cloud Service Options - Alternatives to Crash Plan

Amazon Prime comes with unlimited picture backup and if your a PRIME member its included. Not the best per say, but could be a way to save some $$$$.

Sep 10, 2017 at 08:40 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cloud Service Options - Alternatives to Crash Plan

How many of you that are on a plan test it on a regular basis? Retrieve a random folder of files to ensure everything is fine. This also goes for people that just backup to portable drives and store off site.

How does one know for sure all their data is being backed up and more importantly, able to be fully recovered.

Sep 10, 2017 at 09:55 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cloud Service Options - Alternatives to Crash Plan

+1

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:29 AM
rustinm

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Cloud Service Options - Alternatives to Crash Plan

I have tested the recovery feature for Crashplan. Both recovering to a laptop and recovering to a mobile device. As you mention chez this has to be done to ensure that it is a complete recovery solution. As mentioned above I'm sticking with the Business Plan for a year and then decide if to move to a different provider.

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:54 PM
barry685

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Cloud Service Options - Alternatives to Crash Plan

Amazon prime unlimited photo does not accept psd.

Sep 12, 2017 at 06:05 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Cloud Service Options - Alternatives to Crash Plan

chez wrote:
How many of you that are on a plan test it on a regular basis? Retrieve a random folder of files to ensure everything is fine. This also goes for people that just backup to portable drives and store off site.

How does one know for sure all their data is being backed up and more importantly, able to be fully recovered.

I do.

Sep 12, 2017 at 06:39 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Cloud Service Options - Alternatives to Crash Plan

Backblaze, but I think it's $60 per computer per year, so a bit above your budget.

Sep 12, 2017 at 06:40 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Cloud Service Options - Alternatives to Crash Plan

chez wrote:

Use of a CoW file system is good for array data integrity. I store archives in a format with a checksum. I always 100% verify the contents of an archive backup or file sync, though they are not online services. Multiple copies in multiple locations mitigates data loss.

EBH

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:16 PM
samgas

[X]
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Cloud Service Options - Alternatives to Crash Plan

I use Amazon Drive, definitely not the cheapest, but a service that probably won't abruptly shut off. In addition to backing up copies of the things I'm working it, I use it heavily for archival, freeing up space and getting those projects I haven't touched recently off of my local drives.

Sep 15, 2017 at 02:17 PM

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Cloud Service Options - Alternatives to Crash Plan

I'm using Mail.ru Cloud, there was a time when they were offering 1TB for free and it stuck. I'm storing a copy of all my data there, not just photos - my archive is about 600GB by now. However, I only have about 85GB left, so I may run out of space in several months' time - therefore , a reassessment is in order. I may need to cull some non-essential data (not photos) one day.

Sep 15, 2017 at 03:28 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.