New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Security for home studio

leethecam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Security for home studio

I have a modest studio at home and normally I have just one client at a time so security is not really an issue.

But I want to start offering headhots for small groups of individuals, so 3-4 clients may be left unattended whilst I work in the studio.

So I'd aim to pop an alarm at the top of my stairs and in the office with instructions to clients that they stay in a restricted area.

If anyone uses such a system I'm be glad to hear of the type they use.

Currently I don't have anything that could be customised to work in quite this way so I need to put something in. I'm thinking simple and cheap.

Battery powered and only used on client sessions. Ideally radio linked so I can put the units in myself with no wiring.

Thinking is that I'd have the alert go off in the studio, with local, piezo emitters to sound off if a client strays.

I'm in the UK and Maplin is a good source for this sort of thing - but the choices are endless...

Jul 31, 2017 at 01:10 PM
Chance2
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Security for home studio

Years ago we had a makeshift home alarm system that I believe came from Radio Shack. I looked online and didn't see anything there now that's up to that level, but I did find this:

https://www.radioshack.com/products/portable-motion-detector-alarm-chime

It still looks rather makeshift, but it could be worth a try. It's certainly inexpensive. If they won't ship to the UK you might try eBay.

Jul 31, 2017 at 09:09 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Security for home studio

Yes that's the sort of thing.

I'll keep looking, so thank you.

Aug 01, 2017 at 02:30 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Security for home studio

Can you fit doors to these area which you can lock and prevent access that way?

You could put a simple pressure sensor under a mat or use a driveway alarm. They are similar to the above but the detector and alarm unit are separate. You can get them wireless now so put the detector where you want and the alarm in the studio.

Of course the best thing of all would be to keep them all where you can watch them.

Aug 01, 2017 at 06:40 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Security for home studio

Try simp Lisa Fe with the motion doctor door window switches I forgot what else it came with besides the yard sign I and stickers I never use it came with two remotes key rings and a panic button put switch on door to studio with your sign, put motion defector in room that doesn't have much use while your working, base in post production area forgo the remote monitoring if you desire in this case. It comes with a siren but in your case I wouldn't use it for this plus a security camera that hooks up to your wifi for watching them while working in post. I use the truly wireless cameras with an ethiernet hub type so my computer, iPad, iPhone can connect for monitoring

Aug 01, 2017 at 09:16 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.