FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
       end

Archive 2017 · D850

FrancisK7
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · D850

The AF upgrade from the D750 and D810 is absolutely noticeable. Even my assistant and second noticed when I handed it to them for the dancefloor yesterday (they shoot with the D750).

"Plenty good" is subjective

As for files, there is no discernible difference between 14bit and 12bit files for my needs.

YMMV.

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:45 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · D850

if you cant af with d750 there is no hope
did your clients notice?
16bit? 20bit? and we deliver what? srgb jpeg @80% lol

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:49 AM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · D850

InSanE wrote:
if you cant af with d750 there is no hope
did your clients notice?
16bit? 20bit? and we deliver what? srgb jpeg @80% lol

It could be imagined, but I've noticed a huge drop in AF accuracy over time with the D750. It still can "do the job" but the D850 can do it better.

As for image quality, of course we deliver JPG but you still want leeway in the editing to get there.

Oct 15, 2017 at 01:29 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · D850

A 750 could never track a dark drunk dancing floor like an 850 could — that should be obvious to anyone.

If all you're doing is fair weather shooting, Canon's old 9-pt AF (on a 6D for instance) is all anyone really needs ... or that AF system on a Contax 645.

Oct 15, 2017 at 02:14 PM
InSanE
• • •
p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · D850

but how much leeway does one pro wedding tog need ?
its really hard to fuck up an exposure or focus for some years now

Oct 15, 2017 at 02:19 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · D850

Both a 5D3 and 750 will get thrown off shooting stage events with spotlights, i.e. a live band at a wedding.

Again, if it's just pretty portraits my old Nikon 8008s would work. Or a first generation Minolta Maxuum or EOS650.

Edited on Oct 15, 2017 at 02:29 PM · View previous versions

Oct 15, 2017 at 02:29 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · D850

dhp_sf wrote:
It could be imagined, but I've noticed a huge drop in AF accuracy over time with the D750. It still can "do the job" but the D850 can do it better.

I've noticed the same thing with my D750 (4 copies).

Oct 15, 2017 at 02:29 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · D850

InSanE wrote:
but how much leeway does one pro wedding tog need ?
its really hard to fuck up an exposure or focus for some years now

I would agree on exposure, AF no. AF as we all know is controlled by the camera and if the camera is not doing it's job correctly then you can end up with a boat load of out-of-focused images.

Oct 15, 2017 at 02:32 PM
Holger
• • • •
p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · D850

LeeSimms wrote:
A 750 could never track a dark drunk dancing floor like an 850 could — that should be obvious to anyone.

If all you're doing is fair weather shooting, Canon's old 9-pt AF (on a 6D for instance) is all anyone really needs ... or that AF system on a Contax 645.

When I still used the D750, I never had a problem focussing and tracking on a dark dancing floor. With the D810 the situation was different, though. I am sure the D850 is better, but I don't agree with your statement regarding the D750.

Oct 16, 2017 at 03:38 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · D850

Come on pipl, sure new cameras must be better. How much better and is it relevant to wedding photography is another question.

Its not like decent wedding photography did not exist prior to late 2017. or pics were not in focus and well exposed.

Stop pushing new gear as something even remotely important to our trade because it is NOT.

Same as lens sharpness. Why the fuck would you want a razor sharp prime lens to photograph people? So you can take extra time bluring their faces in PS and print it 10x15 300dpi at your local grocery?

Oct 16, 2017 at 03:59 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.11 #11 · p.11 #11 · D850

InSanE wrote:
Come on pipl, sure new cameras must be better. How much better and is it relevant to wedding photography is another question.

Its not like decent wedding photography did not exist prior to late 2017. or pics were not in focus and well exposed.

Stop pushing new gear as something even remotely important to our trade because it is NOT.

Same as lens sharpness. Why the fuck would you want a razor sharp prime lens to photograph people? So you can take extra time bluring their faces in PS and print it 10x15 300dpi at your local grocery?

It is the only way we can get better.... blame it in the gear. tourch the camera!!!!
That is what us canon shooters have been doing for years because of inferior digital camera bodies!!!

That and we can argue AF tracking even though we all shoot differently in different situations.....

-Mark

Oct 16, 2017 at 06:58 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.11 #12 · p.11 #12 · D850

InSanE wrote:

Pushing new gear? We're just expressing our opinions, and some of them are informed since we have actually used the product you are complaining about. I don't know why you are so salty. The D850 is a wonderful camera but it's just a camera.

Oct 16, 2017 at 07:32 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.11 #13 · p.11 #13 · D850

And d750 cant focus now that d850 is out.

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:09 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.11 #14 · p.11 #14 · D850

InSanE wrote:

Did you ever shoot weddings on film, medium format? Your comment certainly makes me question that. First of all, very few photos back in the day of wedding film photography were action shots. By far they were posed, look in the camera shots. Even walking down the isle at a church were either zone focused and shot at f8, f11 etc or the couples were told where to stop in the aisle so that the photographer could focus and be assured that his subject were tack sharp. To this very day I still get bridesmaids who want to stop during the procession so that we can take their photo. So yeah, back then photos were sharp, photographers were not doing crazy reception dancing photos or other kinds of action shots like we are today. The equipment was manual focus and it simply was to easy, if not impossible to shoot those kinds of images. Wedding photography had an entirely different look to the images than they do today.

35mm dSLR have allowed for new styles and new ways of shooting that just were not possible back then. So yeah, most of us here are looking for gear that will focus in near no light situations and snag focus reliably frame after frame. That IS important to us so I personally am looking for any advantage that I can get in the AF department. If I was still shooting like photographers did 25-30 years it would not be a big deal but it is to me now.

Then regarding your comment about being exposed properly. Hahaha, film made photographers look like they were nailing exposure because they were shooting neg film and the labs were fixing everything for them. True story. Back in that day the labs were saving the necks of every other wedding photographer because they could not consistently nail exposure but their proofs looked good. But if you ever worked in a film lab or talked with a film tech you would know better.

InSanE wrote:

Couldn't disagree with you more.

InSanE wrote:

I will give you that about lenses. I stopped buying some time ago all the super fast, super expensive f1.2, 1.4 lenses because I don't need them for weddings and portraits. Clients just want their photos in focus they don't care about the softest bokeh possible. But they do want them in focus and the fewer photos that I can throw away because of missed focus the happier I am. So yes new gear that can achieve more accurate focus consistently is something that I look at with each succeeding model.

Oct 16, 2017 at 02:18 PM
tbdinh
• •
p.11 #15 · p.11 #15 · D850

D850 seems like an amazing camera. If I shoot Nikon, I would love to own this camera and 105 1.4

Unfortunately, switching doesn't make sense for me since I own Canon gears 5D IV & 6D. Next year, there will be another King of the Hill camera. The Sony A7III/A7RIII or the new Canon FF mirrorless will be the talk of the town.

If there is one thing I learned from switching from my trusty 6D to 5D IV this year is the camera won't make me a better photographer. It's definitely an amazing time when the still capable D750 & D810 is so affordable nowaday on the used market.

Oct 16, 2017 at 06:55 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.11 #16 · p.11 #16 · D850

tbdinh wrote:
It's definitely an amazing time when the still capable D750 & D810 is so affordable nowaday on the used market.

I think these two cameras really hit the 'good enough' for many photographers.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:51 PM
RyanFlynn
• • • •
p.11 #17 · p.11 #17 · D850

InSanE wrote:

Who let this troll stay in here?

Oct 28, 2017 at 07:15 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.