New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · GH5 Questions...

Photo_44

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GH5 Questions...

First, has anyone experienced shutter shock with the GH5 when using the mechanical shutter.

Second, does the electronic shutter on the GH5 use 12 bit depth like the mechanical shutter ie is there any loss of image quality when using the electronic shutter. Thanks

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:18 PM
lonewolfsx

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GH5 Questions...

I don't own a GH5 so I'm sure someone with hands on experience can chime in, but I have the G85 which uses a similar, new, electromagnetic shutter mechanism and it's a massive improvement over the mechanical shutter in the G7 or GX8 - far less noticeable shutter shock in my testing. It is also quieter, to the point where I never use the electronic shutter. Panasonic stated somewhere that the shutter shock on the G85/GH5 was reduced to just 10% compared to the previous generation of shutters.

Supposedly the GH5's electronic shutter is the full 12-bit raw, but that's just what I've gathered from reading over specs on the internet.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:54 AM
albertbarnes

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GH5 Questions...

I do own a GH5 and yes there is still a little shutter shock with the mechanical shutter. I tested it on a flimsy little tripod and compared the pictures against the exposures with pure electronic shutter. Result is, yes there is a tiny little vibration - much better than on my GH4.

Electronic shutter fully covers the 12 bit
See the video here: https://youtu.be/IfH07v5Tpwc

Since then I mainly use the electronic shutter in critical situations and so far results are excellent.

Oct 05, 2017 at 01:31 PM
aggiecutter1

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GH5 Questions...

albertbarnes wrote:
I do own a GH5 and yes there is still a little shutter shock with the mechanical shutter. I tested it on a flimsy little tripod and compared the pictures against the exposures with pure electronic shutter. Result is, yes there is a tiny little vibration - much better than on my GH4.

Electronic shutter fully covers the 12 bit
See the video here: https://youtu.be/IfH07v5Tpwc

Since then I mainly use the electronic shutter in critical situations and so far results are excellent.

So, your saying the photos taken with the electronic shutter are a little sharper than those taken with the mechanical shutter. Also, isn't the slowest shutter speed with the electronic shutter 1 second. Thanks

Oct 05, 2017 at 10:18 PM
albertbarnes

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GH5 Questions...

Yes indeed my pictures taken with the 45-175 combined with electronic shutter are a little sharper than those with the real shutter. The difference is tiny.
Yes, the slowest speed for electronic shutter on the GH5 is 1 second (my A7RII does not have this restriction)

Oct 19, 2017 at 03:10 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GH5 Questions...

To be fair I think all cameras with electronic shutter usually get better sharpness in tests on a tripod. Even the Nikon D850 if you read the reviews, show a difference between using the normal shutter and mirror movement compared to the live view and full electronic shutter.

Mechanical shutter or mirror on DSLR will always introduce some kind of movement. I wouldn't be surprised if the newer Olympus bodies show the same as well though I have never noticed it in real life like I did with my E-M5 first gen.

Oct 19, 2017 at 11:22 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.