Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Damaged my D810 pretty bad, repairable??????

Greg Matty
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Damaged my D810 pretty bad, repairable??????

So I had about the best motorcycle ride of my life today. I left Bend, Oregon to ride through the Cascade Lakes scenic byway and the Cascade Volcanic byway.

But because I am so stupid and didn't want to have my new camera bag get dirty, ewh ick, I set my camera bag on my motorcycle seat and it fell to the ground. I didn't think anything of it untilI I tried to take pictures at Crater Lake. Something was way off on the camera and I couldn't adjust aperture. Long story short buy my evaluation of the camera and lens yielded nothing until I noticed the big gap between the camera and lens on the top portion of the bayonet mount. I could see it had broken/bent/popped upward and was letting light in among other things.

So I am now on the road without my D810 and I am more disappointed in myself than anything else. I can't post a picture as I have no way to take one of that camera in it's current state. I could probably use an iPhone image but I don't have access to my ftp site here so I thought I would give a verbal description to see if anyone here has done the same and what the repair bill may be.

Greg

Jul 10, 2017 at 09:41 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Damaged my D810 pretty bad, repairable??????

Very sad for you. Don't beat yourself down about it, crap happens.

Jul 10, 2017 at 09:50 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Damaged my D810 pretty bad, repairable??????

Sounds like the lens body separated from the lens mount. It might be the lens that is really trashed. Might have twisted the mount on the camera too. My guess is $800 to 1,000 for repair, based on repairs I've had done in the past. I always take a backup camera on trips. Currently using a D5300 ($325) for that.

Kent in SD

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:39 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Damaged my D810 pretty bad, repairable??????

https://phototech.com

Of course it is repairable. And just a guess on my part, but this repair will probably be for less than you think. Your D810 is worth it.

Here is an email I just got back from PHototech. I have not used them yet...but I am about to. Keep in mind that my repair is not the same as your's. But they use the phrase "major repair" for anything up to $400. Again, I do not know. But start communicating with them.

BTW, it was KEH who recommended them to me. I try to avoid NikonUsa when it comes to repairs. That is just me though.

Here is their response to me:

"We are Nikon authorized and perform these repairs commonly. A repair for this issue and cleaning internally is considered a major repair and the cost for this is between $250 to $400 depending how many parts involved. A technician would perform an exact estimate within 1 business day and our repair turn around time is currently 5-7 working days providing all parts are in stock. The repairs would come with a warranty and technicians are Nikon trained and only use Nikon original parts. Please fill out the attached form for an exact estimate to be done by the technician and all your issues would be addressed.

Email estimate is subject to inspection, prices are subject to change.
Just received this email from Photo Tech, an AUTHORIZED Nikon repair center. Do not want to characterize my damage to you.....but note that they
If you have any further questions please feel free to call us as this is the quickest way to answer any further questions".

--
Photo Tech / Chrysler Camera Repair
360 West 36th Street
New York, NY 10018
212-673-8400 & 212-682-3547

Robert

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:59 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Damaged my D810 pretty bad, repairable??????

Two23 wrote:
Sounds like the lens body separated from the lens mount. It might be the lens that is really trashed. Might have twisted the mount on the camera too. My guess is $800 to 1,000 for repair, based on repairs I've had done in the past. I always take a backup camera on trips. Currently using a D5300 ($325) for that.

Kent in SD

I had this last year.
It was repaired at NSP for about 1000,00 including a new frontlens for my 300PF
My insurance covered it, I hoop yours will too.

According the rep tt's designed to break at the lens mount, so it's an easy ("cheap"?) repair.

Jul 11, 2017 at 01:30 AM
dugaut
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Damaged my D810 pretty bad, repairable??????

who knows for sure but I had a student of mine drop my 5dmkii and 24-70 lens, there was damage to the lens mount and the circuitry on the end of the lens that goes into the camera.

Canon charged me 600 to fix everything. My insurance covered it.

Considering that combo of camera and lens was in the thousands, in the moment, I felt relieved.

Jul 11, 2017 at 04:45 AM
ahamp
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Damaged my D810 pretty bad, repairable??????

A few years ago I snapped a D7000 off my tripod-mounted 500 f/4. Nikon rebuilt for $245.
Earlier this year I fell and broke my ankle. My D600 took a hard hit shattering the glass LCD cover I had on. The back took some scuffs. The black baffle under the lens mount cracked. It's at Nikon now with a $300 repair estimate.
Your camera is worth getting the repair estimate.

Jul 11, 2017 at 05:14 AM
Spectro
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Damaged my D810 pretty bad, repairable??????

It should be repairable. After the drama of the D800 "impact damage" issues Nikon designed a breakaway lens mount that is replaceable and saves the camera from being non repairable. Sounds like your description fits that scenario.
Good luck with it.

Jul 11, 2017 at 07:00 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Damaged my D810 pretty bad, repairable??????

http://www.authorizedphoto.com/

call and talk to them. they'll give you a rough estimate over the phone.

Jul 11, 2017 at 08:01 AM
rick_reno
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Damaged my D810 pretty bad, repairable??????

An insurance policy might cover this. If it's not fixable, the silver lining could be Nikon - according to the rumors - is announcing a replacement for the 810 in a couple of weeks.

Jul 11, 2017 at 08:06 AM
Greg Matty
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Damaged my D810 pretty bad, repairable??????

Thanks for the feedback. I'll reach out to both Nikon and the other repair houses mentioned as soon as I get back.

Greg

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:07 PM
Max Power
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Damaged my D810 pretty bad, repairable??????

Two23 wrote:

Kent in SD

Solid advice, but often backup cameras of any size are a luxury when traveling on two wheels. Something like even smaller like a Coolpix A or Sony Rx100-whatever are often good for this.

Jul 13, 2017 at 06:20 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Damaged my D810 pretty bad, repairable??????

On impact, this D3 and 24-70 2.8 lens were totaled:

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/the-demise-of-a-d3-with-24-70-2-8-lens.428575/

Jul 13, 2017 at 05:28 PM
Greg Matty
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Damaged my D810 pretty bad, repairable??????

Max Power wrote:
Solid advice, but often backup cameras of any size are a luxury when traveling on two wheels. Something like even smaller like a Coolpix A or Sony Rx100-whatever are often good for this.

I almost bought one of the Canon 1" sensor class cameras (the one with the 24-100 mm lens) for this trip. I hate to say it, but my iPhone photos in-camera post processing looks pretty good. I have to adjust contrast, apply a gradient to the sky to get it nice and blue, tweak levels and curves to get a RAW photo looking like a stock iPhone photo. Of course my processed images then look better especially when viewed at 100% in PS or LR. But for sending e-postcards or updating Facebook, the iPhone sure is convenient.

The point is that a good point and shoot would get a lot of use when handily stored in my motorcycles tank bag. I almost bought one of these about six months ago, but decided to wait for Nikon's now still born cameras. I may still add the Canon but I at least need to see what my potential repair will be. I'll know tomorrow. I sure wish I had bought one of those now . . .

Thanks for the tips.

Greg

Edit: Camera gets sent off today. Normally I'd hate to be without it for so long but since it doesn't work, the situation is at least working towards conclusion.

Edit: With the new D-850 looming, maybe they won't be able to repair it and insurance will reimburse me the full replacement cost . . . But given Nikon's stillborn 1" sensor class point and shoots, I won't hold my breath on the D850.

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:11 PM
Greg Matty
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Damaged my D810 pretty bad, repairable??????

$650 repair estimate. I gave them the go ahead. I hope I get it back soon. I did not use Nikon but the place in Illinois. Thanks for the tips.

NC

Jul 29, 2017 at 09:43 AM
Max Power
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Damaged my D810 pretty bad, repairable??????

Worth it.

Jul 29, 2017 at 10:32 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Damaged my D810 pretty bad, repairable??????

Greg Matty wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I'll reach out to both Nikon and the other repair houses mentioned as soon as I get back.

Greg

greg, do you have a spare lens? which mount is damaged; camera, lens, or both.

if the camera mount isn't damaged, try on the spare lens should the damaged lens can be removed w/out issue... never know, all may not be lost... gd luck... :')

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:01 AM
Greg Matty
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Damaged my D810 pretty bad, repairable??????

The lens mount had visibly lifted up from the camera body. At the time of the fall, my 24-70 f2.8 lens was attached to the D-810 body. I have since tried that lens on my D700 and it appears to work fine. I have done the early 2000's angled newspaper test, angled ruler test that everyone used to use to establish paranoia with regard to front or back focus and if anything, the fall did my lens some good, .

Can't wait to get my D-810 back.

Greg

tntcorp wrote:
greg, do you have a spare lens? which mount is damaged; camera, lens, or both.

if the camera mount isn't damaged, try on the spare lens should the damaged lens can be removed w/out issue... never know, all may not be lost... gd luck... :')

Jul 29, 2017 at 05:24 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Damaged my D810 pretty bad, repairable??????

I did something nearly as dumb. I had my D810 in a backpack with a long lens attached and did not zip up both sides completely. I picked up the bag and the camera and lens fell a couple feet to the ground which was enough of an impact to break the lens mounting ring on the camera.

The good news is that the ring is half plastic and so when it broke it did not damage the camera housing itself in any way. Cost to have Nikon replace the lens mount ring was $230 after my NPS discount. Fortunately I did this after getting home and so it did not affect my taking pictures on the trip.

I once attached a new port to an underwater housing and did not realize that it had pinched the rubber O-ring. As I descended into the ocean I saw water rising up inside the housing. Killed the camera and the lens. Again I was fortunate in a way in that it was the last dive on the last day of a two week boat trip in Canada.

Aug 01, 2017 at 03:47 PM
Greg Matty
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Damaged my D810 pretty bad, repairable??????

Got it back today. It works at least as good as when new!

I did my old fashioned camera nerd front/back focus test with a newspaper at a 45 degree angle. I see maybe a tiny bit of front focus at f2.8 with the newspaper just a foot in front of the lens at 70mm but at f 4.0 and above it is bang on.

I now need to find a 77mm solar filter for the upcoming solar eclipse. So glad my D810 could be repaired.

Greg

Aug 08, 2017 at 10:35 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password