Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              101      
102
       103       104       end
  

Archive 2017 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

  
 
Makten
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.102 #1 · p.102 #1 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX



wushuliu wrote:
Sounds like you've never even looked at the database to see the color coding and descriptions. And no dude, the vignetting is not 'crazy'. I just showed you the worst of it.



I've looked at it and consider it worthless just because there are people who think that black corners is "perfect coverage". To me, that particular lens would be of zero interest because it doesn't cover the sensor. So in this case the red designation seems correct.



Nov 27, 2023 at 05:49 PM
wushuliu
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.102 #2 · p.102 #2 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX


Makten wrote:
I've looked at it and consider it worthless just because there are people who think that black corners is "perfect coverage". To me, that particular lens would be of zero interest because it doesn't cover the sensor. So in this case the red designation seems correct.


Didn't think I'd have to hit the Hide/Ignore button this early but such are the times I guess...




Nov 27, 2023 at 06:16 PM
chiron
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.102 #3 · p.102 #3 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX



How well do the Canon EF 50/1.2 and EF 85/1.2 adapt to the GFX via Fringer?



Nov 27, 2023 at 07:08 PM
Makten
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.102 #4 · p.102 #4 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX


wushuliu wrote:
Didn't think I'd have to hit the Hide/Ignore button this early but such are the times I guess...



Interesting idea to ignore people for pointing out obvious flaws in your lenses. You started with this:

"The GFX adapted lens google docs database lists the Rikenon XR 55mm F1.2 as unusable for full sensor coverage"

And it is, unless you fancy black corners. Which I think very few people that bought an expensive medium format camera would do.



Nov 28, 2023 at 02:26 AM
markhout
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.102 #5 · p.102 #5 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX


I think the broader question is - why use these lenses (lenses that vignette) on a GFX and crop, if you can use them on a FF body without crop?

As a GFX and Z7 user, I own many FF lenses, but none that perform visibly better (in all aspects) on the GFX vs the Z7.



Nov 28, 2023 at 03:26 AM
Makten
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.102 #6 · p.102 #6 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX


markhout wrote:
I think the broader question is - why use these lenses (lenses that vignette) on a GFX and crop, if you can use them on a FF body without crop?

As a GFX and Z7 user, I own many FF lenses, but none that perform visibly better (in all aspects) on the GFX vs the Z7.


Because you might not want to own or use multiple systems.

What I don't understand is how anyone could say that a lens "covers the sensor" when it obviously doesn't (hard vignetting is not possible to correct). Liking the results anyway is something else though, and understandable.



Nov 28, 2023 at 04:30 AM
Makten
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.102 #7 · p.102 #7 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX


Here's a lens that covers the sensor, albeit with some vignetting unless you stop down a bit.
I rebought the Samyang 135/2 a few days ago, because I wanted something sharper and a bit faster than the Mamiya 150/3.5.
Last time I sold it because I got the GF 110/2, that is now replaced with the 80.

Wide open with no correction. The scene was lit only by moonlight, hence the strange look.






  GFX50S II    135 mm f/-- lens    135mm    f/1.0    25s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  




Nov 28, 2023 at 04:33 AM
markhout
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.102 #8 · p.102 #8 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX


I agree. The 135/2 does have a bit of vignetting on the GFX but is razor sharp.

click on the image if it doesn't fit your screen

GFX 50S-II, Samyang 135mm 2.0, wide open, uncorrected



center crop of same





Nov 28, 2023 at 04:58 AM
Lee Saxon
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.102 #9 · p.102 #9 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX


markhout wrote:
I think the broader question is - why use these lenses (lenses that vignette) on a GFX and crop, if you can use them on a FF body without crop?


If it's a lens that requires you to crop to 36x24 or nearly so, absolutely. But the whole point of this thread is that a lot of these FF lenses don't. Even the Rokinon 55/1.2 image Makten dismissed on the previous page as a *poor* example of coverage only requires cropping to about 42x31.5, which is still 53% extra sensor area.



Nov 28, 2023 at 06:40 AM
Lee Saxon
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.102 #10 · p.102 #10 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX


Makten wrote:
Because you might not want to own or use multiple systems.


Yep. I walked around yesterday carrying an FE2 with Provia and an F4 with Ektachrome, and they each had a dedicated lens and I made a point of swapping them as little as possible. That was annoying enough. When you figure that those two setups combined take up less volume (and very possibly less weight) than just a GFX 100 and one lens, much less that plus a second setup...



Nov 28, 2023 at 06:41 AM
Makten
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.102 #11 · p.102 #11 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX


Lee Saxon wrote:
If it's a lens that requires you to crop to 36x24 or nearly so, absolutely. But the whole point of this thread is that a lot of these FF lenses don't. Even the Rokinon 55/1.2 image Makten dismissed on the previous page as a *poor* example of coverage only requires cropping to about 42x31.5, which is still 53% extra sensor area.


Sure, but one can not claim that it "covers the sensor", because it doesn't.



Nov 28, 2023 at 06:45 AM
Fpessolano
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.102 #12 · p.102 #12 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX


It depends, I have few (3) lenses that cover the sensor with some mild form of vignetting. Darkening is actually when the optical path is blocked and you loose everything.Some might consider severe vignetting also as darkening, some not (I do).


Nov 28, 2023 at 08:04 AM
Lee Saxon
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.102 #13 · p.102 #13 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX


Makten wrote:
Sure, but one can not claim that it "covers the sensor", because it doesn't.


Agreed, my point was just re: markhout's implication that adapting FF glass would require us to crop so much it isn't worth it.




Nov 28, 2023 at 08:19 AM
Makten
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.102 #14 · p.102 #14 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX


Fpessolano wrote:
It depends, I have few (3) lenses that cover the sensor with some mild form of vignetting. Darkening is actually when the optical path is blocked and you loose everything.Some might consider severe vignetting also as darkening, some not (I do).


In this case I'm of course referring to the example in this post: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1496482/100#16404196
Perfect example of a lens that doesn't cover the sensor, IMO.



Nov 28, 2023 at 08:19 AM
bobby350z
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.102 #15 · p.102 #15 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX


DubB20 wrote:
Apologies for the reductive post. I've perused the thread and enjoyed seeing everybody's thoughts and pics. I've done and search on the forum and come up short, so I wanted to ask if there is a list of "best" adapted lenses folks have used? I'm just looking to complement some of the native GFX lenses I have, as well as see if any other lenses I have might work. TIA!


which focal length?

I have tried Tamron 35mm/45mm f1.8 and both work very well
Canon 24mm TSE very good
Canon 50mm TSE, 90mm TSE excellent
Canon 200mm f2.8 I or II - very good
Sigma 135mm f1.8 - excellent




Nov 28, 2023 at 09:07 AM
bobby350z
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.102 #16 · p.102 #16 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX


Here Tamron 35mm f1.8 @f1.8

20211230_Test_Tamron_35_0004 by Vishi A, on Flickr

Inside
20220528_Test_0004 by Vishi A, on Flickr

f8
20220528_Test_0006 by Vishi A, on Flickr



Nov 28, 2023 at 09:11 AM
bobby350z
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.102 #17 · p.102 #17 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX


Canon 50mm TSE, 5-6mm of shift and a bit of tilt.

20231124_Livermore_0027 by Vishi A, on Flickr



Nov 28, 2023 at 09:14 AM
Fpessolano
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.102 #18 · p.102 #18 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX


Makten wrote:
In this case I'm of course referring to the example in this post: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1496482/100#16404196
Perfect example of a lens that doesn't cover the sensor, IMO.


Does look like an horrible lens to use, minimal coverage



Nov 28, 2023 at 10:04 AM
wushuliu
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.102 #19 · p.102 #19 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX


Maybe I misunderstand the intent of this thread and/or the purpose of owning a GFX? 'Crap' and 'worthless' sensor coverage aside - is there a taboo against cropping? Is something lost if I have only 90/76/60MP to work with from 102? Am I adding to carbon footprint by using FF and not spending 5-10k on GFX lenses? Does the 35mm Crop Mode (or crop in post) *not* look as good as using a FF camera?




Nov 28, 2023 at 10:11 AM
bobby350z
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.102 #20 · p.102 #20 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX


wushuliu wrote:
Maybe I misunderstand the intent of this thread and/or the purpose of owning a GFX? 'Crap' and 'worthless' sensor coverage aside - is there a taboo against cropping? Is something lost if I have only 90/76/60MP to work with from 102? Am I adding to carbon footprint by using FF and not spending 5-10k on GFX lenses? Does the 35mm Crop Mode (or crop in post) *not* look as good as using a FF camera?



There is no taboo. You free to use whatever you want but then why spend the money on the GFX? Why not keep shooting your FF or whatever else you have. I mostly use GF lenses and only use 3rd party where there is no GF available or is much slower. I had 45mm f2.8 GF but personally I didn't like it much against my FF Sigma 40mm f1.4. Others disagree, fine, so I sold mine and got Tamron 45mm f1.8 till I get 55mm f1.7 GF.



Nov 28, 2023 at 12:07 PM
1       2       3              101      
102
       103       104       end




FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              101      
102
       103       104       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.