FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2017 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

Really went in and lowered the clarity and structure which is running minus and lowered sharpening below default. Than airbrushed still very sharp. Color balanced as well

Aug 31, 2017 at 04:14 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

Really have to tame the beast. The lens that is

Aug 31, 2017 at 04:16 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

You need a lens sharper than this than good luck finding one. Not sure even a Otus can beat this

Aug 31, 2017 at 06:19 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

GMPhotography wrote:
Really have to tame the beast. The lens that is

And your f/6.3 is probably showing hints of diffraction.
You will love pairing this Loxia with the CV 65/2 APO. Best Voigtlander I've ever tried.

Aug 31, 2017 at 07:01 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

Your probably correct there bud. I think 5.6 is the limit. Scary sharp lens

I'm getting excited to get the VC 65 im expecting same IQ as this lens.

I'm going to knock power down on strobes and go 5.6 tomorrow. I got plenty DOF

Fred Miranda wrote:
And your f/6.3 is probably showing hints of diffraction.
You will love pairing this Loxia with the CV 65/2 APO. Best Voigtlander I've ever tried.

Aug 31, 2017 at 07:09 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

Okay just checked my setting as I did it by look. I never dropped a lens this low on clarity its -26 and structure its -13. Folks thats going completely south of going for sharpness. My sharpness level might as well not even be on and its still a little crisp.

Aug 31, 2017 at 07:58 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

Ummm... Damn!
Quick request... if you could, sneak in and image at F 2.8 so that I could get an idea of the sharpness wide open. From all of the reviews that I've read it's pretty insane but it would be nice to compare side by side with an F 5.6 shot, especially with studio lighting.
Thanks!

Sep 01, 2017 at 07:38 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

I shot 7 more people today and 4 locations. All shot at 5.6. But I have one more Doctor on Tuesday so I'll knock the lights way back for a 2.8

Was just thinking about this lens. What is really amazing is my settings in post everything in C1 is cut so far back to smooth the skin but yet the detail in the eyes is still amazing . This is really a nice feature that I could not do with any other lens that comes to mind. Seriously I never dropped the levels this low. I'm really impressed by this. I mean I must of shot thousands of portraits over the years and I love this thing.
Jonathan Brady wrote:
Ummm... Damn!
Quick request... if you could, sneak in and image at F 2.8 so that I could get an idea of the sharpness wide open. From all of the reviews that I've read it's pretty insane but it would be nice to compare side by side with an F 5.6 shot, especially with studio lighting.
Thanks!

Sep 01, 2017 at 08:02 PM
lightskyland
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

I think I'm immune to GAS for this lens, since I have the 100 STF which is nearly perfect.

At least I think I am.

Sep 01, 2017 at 09:03 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

MTF of their latest lenses have the medium detail lines (20 lpmm) closing in on the 'broad edge' lines (10 lpmm) like best from Leica - the latest 50mm (also 'slow' at f2). The effect will be what you describe here: edges are about the same as other lenses but it's unnecessary to sharpen as much because underlying medium structure resolution has increased greatly. It's accentuated by the 'high performance at all apertures' includind WO design. We need more lenses like these, it's a new approach to portraiture, and post work may (will) need some changes. This is only happening on their lenses for Sony, Milvus portrait lenses are all f1.4. Be interested to hear what your clients think of the images.

Sep 01, 2017 at 09:06 PM
MrTMan
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

I'm a little embarrassed to say that I've owned this lens for a month, and I've yet to try shooting any portraits at anything over f/4. But that's because it's so good wide open!

Sep 01, 2017 at 10:22 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

For a different client and more my type of background for this stuff. At 5.6 but same low settings

Sep 02, 2017 at 09:06 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

Little more airbrushing needed. But really at the edge for DOF for at least corporate portraits. Honestly I would never shoot these at 2.8. Models yes and for effect but these type of clients would not go for any less DOF. Classic case of know who your shooting for.

Sep 02, 2017 at 09:09 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

f/5.6, Guy likes to live near the edge! Great work as always. At 135mm, I prefer f/8 to get more angling options and, even then, DOF is in short supply.

As for Batis alternatives, I cover this FL with the Rok, Leitz Tele-Elmar, Nikkor 70-200/4, and always near f/8. The 100 STF is a trickier beast because it wants to be used at f/4 effective DOF to work the magic. For new technology, my drool contenders are from Canon and optical master Myazaki. The Canon 135/4L TS-E macro is due out shortly, and will be a killer: Day 1 purchase for me. The other is from MS Optical and goes by the name Fluorit Super Apochromat Aporis 135mm F2.4 Full MC. The design is Ernostar with one flourite element in M mount. MC refers to manual control of a floating group for SA correction! You can choose which side of the focus plane to put the good blur, as with Nikon's DC lenses. These alternatives are manual focus but we're not scared of that, right? Pricing is Batis range.

Ref:
http://www.japancamerahunter.com/shop/ms-optics-fluorit-super-apochromat-aporis-135mm-f2-4-full-mc/

Sep 03, 2017 at 08:19 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

Yes 5.6 is a little too close to the edge. I did like 6.3 better as it is safer. We have to be careful sometimes in shots like these for clients that expect you to bring home the bacon. So hopefully this is a little lesson for aspiring shooters to pay attention to what you get and what your client expects.
Rico I also agree if the angle was more turned to the side I could have got in real trouble with DOF and it is thin as a pancake for sure. My one saving grace was I was not so tight to subject . Once you move in to let's say just the head your going to need F8 for sure. These I have to get a little space for different sizing for the client so you can crop to their needs. Shooting for myself I would have been closer. Again hopefully another lesson when working with clients. They do some weird stuff to your images as far as production end results. I'm secretly saying cover your ass.

rico wrote:
f/5.6, Guy likes to live near the edge! Great work as always. At 135mm, I prefer f/8 to get more angling options and, even then, DOF is in short supply.

As for Batis alternatives, I cover this FL with the Rok, Leitz Tele-Elmar, Nikkor 70-200/4, and always near f/8. The 100 STF is a trickier beast because it wants to be used at f/4 effective DOF to work the magic. For new technology, my drool contenders are from Canon and optical master Myazaki. The Canon 135/4L TS-E macro is due out shortly, and will be a killer: Day 1 purchase
...Show more

Sep 03, 2017 at 08:57 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

Just a outstanding portrait lens

Sep 03, 2017 at 11:56 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

Im working all my files and airbrushing everything but I love the distance from subject with this focal length and the compression it brings. The more i shoot this lens the more I realize just how good it really is.

Sep 03, 2017 at 11:59 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

Just to keep it fair here.

Sep 03, 2017 at 12:19 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.