New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · F8 autofocus 7D ii vs 80D

fatestkid

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · F8 autofocus 7D ii vs 80D

I am a long time lurker and have learned quite a bit from reading FM forums. I finally have a question on which I could not find an answer on the web. I have an 80D and someone has offered to trade it for a 7D II.

My question is at F8 (100-400 II + 1.4x III TC) is the 80d better at autofocus than a 7D ii?

On paper the answer appears to be yes since with that specific lens combo 80d has 27 cross type AF points and 7D ii has center point with 4 expansion points. But I have seen no real world comparison. Please note I have the 100-400ii right now but haven't yet bought the TC so I can't test it. My 80d is only for action and macro.

The main reason I even considered the trade was faster fps and GPS on 7D ii. I will miss the 80d flip screen but won't miss better video capabilities. I think the 80d is better at low iso noise and dynamic range while 7D ii has better high iso performance. So overall IQ is a negligible factor between the two cameras. I don't use the 80D for landscapes or portraits etc so the high DR is not super important. I have a 6D for that.

Edited on May 07, 2017 at 11:36 AM · View previous versions

May 02, 2017 at 08:38 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · F8 autofocus 7D ii vs 80D

Keep the 80D

May 02, 2017 at 10:35 AM
fatestkid

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · F8 autofocus 7D ii vs 80D

dhphoto wrote:
Keep the 80D

Any particular reason to recommend this course of action?

May 02, 2017 at 11:01 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · F8 autofocus 7D ii vs 80D

fatestkid wrote:
Any particular reason to recommend this course of action?

Because I have one and it's a terrific camera, the extra benefits of the older 7D2 would be minimal IMHO, plus the 80D has a better sensor (the best Canon crop sensor yet)

May 02, 2017 at 11:28 AM
fatestkid

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · F8 autofocus 7D ii vs 80D

dhphoto wrote:
Because I have one and it's a terrific camera, the extra benefits of the older 7D2 would be minimal IMHO, plus the 80D has a better sensor (the best Canon crop sensor yet)

I appreciate the input! My main concern is with f8 auto-focus.

I should point out that the 7D II produces better images at high iso based on everything I have read online and actual photos I have reviewed. The 80D is better at low iso. 80D is better with dynamic range.

May 02, 2017 at 11:33 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · F8 autofocus 7D ii vs 80D

fatestkid wrote:
I should point out that the 7D II produces better images at high iso based on everything I have read online and actual photos I have reviewed.

If that is true the differences in actual prints would be incredibly small, probably almost invisible.

I honestly believe you may be slightly overthinking this and giving the 7D2 ability it may not quite have.

If you are happy overall with the 80D I'd stick with it, if you want a real jump you need to look at the 1DX range IMHO

May 02, 2017 at 11:42 AM
fatestkid

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · F8 autofocus 7D ii vs 80D

dhphoto wrote:
If that is true the differences in actual prints would be incredibly small, probably almost invisible.

I honestly believe you may be slightly overthinking this and giving the 7D2 ability it may not quite have.

If you are happy overall with the 80D I'd stick with it, if you want a real jump you need to look at the 1DX range IMHO

I have only had the 80D and 100-400 II for a month or so. So I am neither happy or unhappy. I just have an opportunity to trade and want to see if its worth it keeping in mind that I plan to buy a 1.4x iii which puts me at F8. I don't want a reason to switch. I don't like the 7D II over the 80D or vice versa. I just want a real world answer to the F8 question. Anyhow we are going in circles....

May 02, 2017 at 11:48 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · F8 autofocus 7D ii vs 80D

And the grass is always greener...

May 02, 2017 at 11:50 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · F8 autofocus 7D ii vs 80D

I'm with DH in thinking that the 80D is the better general purpose camera. I have an 80D and don't have a 7D2 but do use mine with the 100-400 II and 1.4x3 where it works really well. My opinion is that if you know how to use your camera the results from either would be indistinguishable.

The difference in frame rate is likely to be as significant as the difference in AF abilities. The 7D2 has faster frame rate and more options for customizing AF response and a bit better weather sealing. The 80D has better f8 AF coverage with this lens combination and has a bit better resolution and is a bit lighter. Again IMHO, if your use is specific enough for these differences to be significant then the answer will be obvious for you. If not, then keep what you have and know. Why does the other person want to trade? If you are friends, then exchange for a week and try it out.

May 02, 2017 at 01:28 PM
fatestkid

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · F8 autofocus 7D ii vs 80D

Jeff Nolten wrote:
I'm with DH in thinking that the 80D is the better general purpose camera. I have an 80D and don't have a 7D2 but do use mine with the 100-400 II and 1.4x3 where it works really well. My opinion is that if you know how to use your camera the results from either would be indistinguishable.

The difference in frame rate is likely to be as significant as the difference in AF abilities. The 7D2 has faster frame rate and more options for customizing AF response and a bit better weather sealing. The 80D has better f8 AF
...Show more

Since you have the exact lens combo I am going for can you tell me how good/bad the autofocus is at F8 with the 80D. Is it fast enough for birds in flight? I realize that depends on skill level which is where I lack right now. I just want a ball park.

Good point regarding FPS. Perhaps the over all number of keeper photos equalizes between the two bodies because one has better coverage and the other has more FPS

We are not friends. He wants touch screen and lighter weight.

May 02, 2017 at 01:50 PM
pshyvers

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · F8 autofocus 7D ii vs 80D

I am very low on the totem pole in terms of BIF shooting here. But with my 7DII I've found the user's ability to place the f8 point on the bird and track are by far and away the limiting factor, the performance of the camera doesn't enter into it. Remember the 4 expansion points only assist, so you're trying to place a little dot on their little eye and track while they're flying at who knows how fast...

I doubt the 80D's 27 points could be so bad, that you'd want the 7DII's single point enough to trade cameras.

The GPS, to me, is nice in theory but in practice it's a bit of a battery hog.

May 02, 2017 at 06:33 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · F8 autofocus 7D ii vs 80D

I'm really not sure which one has better f/8 AF. I did own them both at the same time but didn't really compare them much. I sold the 80D 3 months after buying it. The 7D2 has much better functions with proper AF joystick, better back buttons and ability to have 2 BBF buttons. Also the 7D2 has more AF modes like spot and expansion. The 80D does have the extra points at f/8 with the 100-400II/1.4TCIII and that IMO is only useful if you like to use the Zone modes as this is not available on the 7D2 at f/8.

I'd choose the 7D2 every time over the 80D. High ISO is only slightly better on the 7D2 and probably if you downsample the 24MP to 20MPs they are equal. I never shoot at ISO 400 and lower so the DR advantages of the 80D were wasted on me.

May 02, 2017 at 06:44 PM
fatestkid

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · F8 autofocus 7D ii vs 80D

pshyvers wrote:
I am very low on the totem pole in terms of BIF shooting here. But with my 7DII I've found the user's ability to place the f8 point on the bird and track are by far and away the limiting factor, the performance of the camera doesn't enter into it. Remember the 4 expansion points only assist, so you're trying to place a little dot on their little eye and track while they're flying at who knows how fast...

I doubt the 80D's 27 points could be so bad, that you'd want the 7DII's single point enough to trade cameras.

The GPS,
...Show more

Thanks for this perspective. I have pretty much no skills in birding just yet. The few times I've been out with the 80d and 100-400 ii I've been happy. It's very clear it's me that's lacking. It's just that you don't often get a trade offer which sparks a question like this.

May 02, 2017 at 08:06 PM
fatestkid

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · F8 autofocus 7D ii vs 80D

arbitrage wrote:
I'm really not sure which one has better f/8 AF. I did own them both at the same time but didn't really compare them much. I sold the 80D 3 months after buying it. The 7D2 has much better functions with proper AF joystick, better back buttons and ability to have 2 BBF buttons. Also the 7D2 has more AF modes like spot and expansion. The 80D does have the extra points at f/8 with the 100-400II/1.4TCIII and that IMO is only useful if you like to use the Zone modes as this is not available on the 7D2 at
...Show more

Fast action is pretty new to me including birding so I don't know what I want. I can read and digest a giant amount of technical information but obviously lack real world experience. The things you mentioned about 7D are the type of things you learn to appreciate in the field. Thank you for the input.

May 02, 2017 at 08:15 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · F8 autofocus 7D ii vs 80D

fatestkid wrote:
Since you have the exact lens combo I am going for can you tell me how good/bad the autofocus is at F8 with the 80D. Is it fast enough for birds in flight? ...

pshyvers wrote:
... with my 7DII I've found the user's ability to place the f8 point on the bird and track are by far and away the limiting factor, the performance of the camera doesn't enter into it...

At f8 I regularly use the center cluster of points which gives you a bigger area to try to keep on target. Yes, I'd use the 80D for BIF because its the camera I have. I've had good success at capturing BIF with cameras going back to my 10D but then I'm fairly opportunistic in my attempts. If I try and don't succeed its not a big failure for me. I succeed often enough that I have some shots I like.

Arbitrage above has chosen the 7D2. He is a much more experienced and dedicated bird photographer than I am and I respect his opinion. If you are going after BIF like he does then the 7D2 or perhaps even one of the 1DX might be a better choice for you. From what you said, I chose the 80D for several of the reasons your acquaintance wants to trade.

May 02, 2017 at 08:16 PM
fatestkid

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · F8 autofocus 7D ii vs 80D

Jeff Nolten wrote:
At f8 I regularly use the center cluster of points which gives you a bigger area to try to keep on target. Yes, I'd use the 80D for BIF because its the camera I have. I've had good success at capturing BIF with cameras going back to my 10D but then I'm fairly opportunistic in my attempts. If I try and don't succeed its not a big failure for me. I succeed often enough that I have some shots I like.

Arbitrage above has chosen the 7D2. He is a much more experienced and dedicated bird photographer than I am
...Show more

Thank you for this. I do prescribe to your philosophy. I have done a lot of macro with all sorts of reversing rings and cheap lens modifications . Probably had a keeper rate of 5% or less but those few shots always make me happy. I will have to apply the same practice to birding I suppose.

May 03, 2017 at 10:46 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · F8 autofocus 7D ii vs 80D

I think the 80D is the best crop camera I've had and its my 5th. Its AF compares well in use to that of my 5D3. All these current cameras are excellent and have the performance to give excellent results at whatever you are trying to do. The differences are more in emphasis than anything else, 7fps vs 10fps for example.

I shoot my dogs coursing, Salukis - as fast as Grey Hounds, and had fine results even with my 70D. The 7D2 is probably better optimized for this specific use but the 80D is close enough that it makes no difference to me. I'd say enjoy your 80D and see where your photography takes you. My two cents.

May 03, 2017 at 11:52 AM
fatestkid

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · F8 autofocus 7D ii vs 80D

Jeff Nolten wrote:
I think the 80D is the best crop camera I've had and its my 5th. Its AF compares well in use to that of my 5D3. All these current cameras are excellent and have the performance to give excellent results at whatever you are trying to do. The differences are more in emphasis than anything else, 7fps vs 10fps for example.

I shoot my dogs coursing, Salukis - as fast as Grey Hounds, and had fine results even with my 70D. The 7D2 is probably better optimized for this specific use but the 80D is close enough that it makes
...Show more

Thank you! Have a wonderful day.

May 03, 2017 at 01:46 PM
Mikehit
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · F8 autofocus 7D ii vs 80D

I have the 7D2 and my wife has the 80D. I agree that the AF on the 7D2 has more options but when it comes to Af at f8 the zone options on the 80D would win out for me over the single point of the 7D2, and the zones on the 80D give more flexibility on composition. In good light.
I have not stress-tested the 80D AF in lower light levels which would be more important for me (and probably yourself considering you are in Edmonton) but I am assuming the dual processors of the 7D2 would offer significant advantages.
It also depends on what you shoot - distant large wildlife, closer fast moving wildlife etc and the tracking performance you need.

I also agree with comments above that, given you are admittedly new to wildlife photography, your skill as a photographer (including fieldcraft to get close to the subject) will override any advantages of fast AF.

Regards tilting screens, after a while of using my micro4/3 cameras which have it, I really miss that facility when I pickup my 7D2 again, especially when shooting macro or using a tripod for landscape.

Overall, my advice would be to keep the 80D for now and get used to it. It seems that you are not yet so far into birding that it is a key driver and you never know, it may remain a peripheral interest and the 80D does have its advantages with the smaller size (you are more likely to take it with you) and the movable screen.
In a year or so you will have a better idea of your priorities and can probably get a 7D2 (ifyouw antone) at a better price than the deal you are offered now.

May 04, 2017 at 03:11 AM
RogerZoul
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · F8 autofocus 7D ii vs 80D

fatestkid wrote:
I am a long time lurker and have learned quite a bit from reading FM forums. I finally have a question on which I could not find an answer on the web. I have an 80D and someone has offered to trade it for a 7D II.

My question is at F8 (100-400 II + 1.4x III TC) is the 80d better at autofocus than a 7D ii?

On paper the answer appears to be yes since with that specific lens combo 80d has 27 cross type AF points and 7D ii has center point with 4 expansion points. But
...Show more

What kind of photography do you do? I have both cameras, and the 100-400 II and the 1.4x III TC. I still prefer the 7D2 for birds, but I like the 80D for other types of photography. For me, the features of the 7D2 way outweigh those of the 80D for BIF and stuff like that (this includes customization features which are a big factor for me since I use them). Also, I have a f/4 lens to use with the TC so I can get the best performance there. Note that if I go out with both cameras, I do put the 100-400m2 on the 80D to enable those f/8 AF points w/ TC in case I need the reach (so I do find that valuable), but many times I like putting the TC on the 7D2 w/ 400 DO2 and just using center + 4 expansion points (this option is not on the 80D). I find the 7D2's more advanced AF system still has an advantage over that of the 80D. But your choices and uses might be different.

May 04, 2017 at 06:31 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.