Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              12      
       14              18       19       end

Archive 2017 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #1 · p.13 #1 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

The big question I have is focusing in low light for like events,weddings and such. If it can't do that than it's worthless to upgrade too.

May 07, 2017 at 12:00 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.13 #2 · p.13 #2 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

GMPhotography wrote:
The big question I have is focusing in low light for like events,weddings and such. If it can't do that than it's worthless to upgrade too.

I wonder about AF in low light as well but it looks like the native Batis 135/2.8 will give the best AF performance (Including EyeAF) from the options we have.

So, if AF is crucial for your application like low light events, it may be the best lens currently.

May 07, 2017 at 12:08 PM
Bobu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #3 · p.13 #3 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

Fred Miranda wrote:
Did you do a best of 3 or 5 for each lens at f/2.8? It looks like you nailed focus for all three lenses but it's hard to know for sure since DOF is so short.

Yes, I did a best of 3 at each apperture. But with one or two exceptions all images were nearly identical regarding the focus point. Focusing from a tripod with a nearly static subjetic with LV at max magnification with the A7RII is quite reliable.

Boris

May 07, 2017 at 12:09 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.13 #4 · p.13 #4 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

I can't say anything about AF performance of the Batis in comparison to other lenses since nearly all my other lenses are MF lenses (and I've uses the Batis 18mm only with MF so far).

At least AF seems to work ok with the Batis 135 and is quite silent ;-)

Edited on May 07, 2017 at 12:15 PM · View previous versions

May 07, 2017 at 12:12 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.13 #5 · p.13 #5 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

So I just checked out the new Metabones V

Metabones recounts the beginnings of the world's first fully electronic EF to E mount adapter 5 years ago, with only aperture control and auto-magnify (requires lens with distance information) but no autofocus support back then. Over the years firmware work has significantly expanded its capabilities. Today, the very same original Smart Adapter, though long discontinued, can still be upgraded to leverage the latest firmware benefits such as smooth iris (lens support required), fast contrast detection autofocus on all E-mount cameras, eye-AF, direct manual focus (DMF), zoom and distance display (requires lens with distance information), assignable custom button and 5-axis image stabilization (requires camera support).

May 07, 2017 at 12:12 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.13 #6 · p.13 #6 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

GMPhotography wrote:
When Fred gets his Batis. I'm sending him my Sigma to run a head to head. I honestly think from what I have seen so far the Sigma will certainly have the edge wide open and at 2.4 as well. Yea it's big and heavy but it's a 1.8 kids. Lol

The Sigma looks like a great lens, especially if you need f/1.8 and AF. But I wouldn't bet that it is better than the Zeiss ZF.2 at f/2.4. In my experience the Zeiss at 2.4 is nearly perfect. I can't imagine how the Sigma could be better. But of course the Zeiss has no AF and no f/1.8.

For me the Sigma is just too big and heavy.

Boris

May 07, 2017 at 12:15 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.13 #7 · p.13 #7 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

I'll take bets on it to be honest. At 1.8 it's already a laser and at 2.8 it does not get any better stopping down it's the maximum resolution at 2.8.

Bobu wrote:
The Sigma looks like a great lens, especially if you need f/1.8 and AF. But I wouldn't bet that it is better than the Zeiss ZF.2 at f/2.4. In my experience the Zeiss at 2.4 is nearly perfect. I can't imagine how the Sigma could be better. But of course the Zeiss has no AF and no f/1.8.

Boris

May 07, 2017 at 12:21 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.13 #8 · p.13 #8 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

Bobu wrote:

Boris

The Sigma 135/1.8 + smart adapter should be around the same weight as the Zeiss 135/2 ZF + adapter.
~ 1,280 grams for both and the Sigma is faster...so on weight alone, the Sigma is not really a monster.

On the fast options, the Samyang 135/2 wins on weight at only 840g. (assuming this weight is accurate)

May 07, 2017 at 12:24 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.13 #9 · p.13 #9 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

GMPhotography wrote:
I'll take bets on it to be honest. At 1.8 it's already a laser and at 2.8 it does not get any better stopping down it's the maximum resolution at 2.8.

Yes, but this is also true for the Zeiss. Stopping down from f/2.8 to f/4 or f/5.6 doesn't improve the resolution. You are a bit too far aways, otherwise we could make a direct comparison of the two lenses.

May 07, 2017 at 12:28 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.13 #10 · p.13 #10 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

Fred Miranda wrote:
The Sigma 135/1.8 + smart adapter should be around the same weight as the Zeiss 135/2 ZF + adapter.
~ 1,280 grams for both...so on weight alone, the Sigma is not really a monster.

Ok, I thought it would be heavier. But if I would not already own the Zeiss I wouldn't get it either. I think it's too big and haeavy for a camera like the A7RII (at least if you travel a lot). The Batis seems to be the best compromise for me.

Boris

May 07, 2017 at 12:32 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.13 #11 · p.13 #11 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

I know wish we where closer. It's going to be a interesting test. I could upgrade but it's got to smoke this Sigma to do it at 2.4. That's the test I want to know. This Sigma is really sharp but it is kind of heavy. Actually my Sigma 24-35 is taller and as heavy. I got two monsters on my hands. But truthfully the weight does not feel bad at all on camera on your back well yea it does. It's not a vacation lens and I get paid to shoot so I'm supposed to suffer major back issues.

Bobu wrote:
Yes, but this is also true for the Zeiss. Stopping down from f/2.8 to f/4 or f/5.6 doesn't improve the resolution. You are a bit too far aways, otherwise we could make a direct comparison of the two lenses.

May 07, 2017 at 12:32 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.13 #12 · p.13 #12 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

GMPhotography wrote:

My money is on the Sigma too...this thing is amazing!

May 07, 2017 at 02:50 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.13 #13 · p.13 #13 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

My take is the Leica is the perfect complement to a set of Loxia lenses. It is small, excellent and even has 10 straight aperture blades like the Loxia lenses. For landscapes only that seems like the best choice. If you do portraits as well as landscapes then one of the 135s with a faster aperture and a shorter minimum focus distance would be better. I think the choice comes down to whether you prefer MF or AF and how you feel about size. If you prefer AF then it is either the Sigma or the Batis depending on how you feel about size versus max aperture. If you prefer MF, then it is either the Zeiss ZE/ZF/Milvus or the Samyang both of which are large but excellent. Based on price and performance such choice would seem to favour the Samyang. Personally, however, I am very happy with the Zeiss Milvus even though it is very large. It is just a great all around lens and I am liking it very much for close up work with a 55-70mm helicoid extension tube I have for it. It is also excellent for video with the de-clickable aperture and the Zeiss focus gear that works very well with it. It also turns into an excellent 100 f/1.4 on the Fuji GFX that B & H keep telling me will be delivered very soon. So despite its price I see the Milvus as an excellent value because it can do all these things. Maybe not quite the value that the Samyang is, but especially with its video capabilities it is more versatile for the things I want to use it for and to me worth the extra price.

May 07, 2017 at 03:41 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.13 #14 · p.13 #14 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

Decisions, decisions. Currently my money ( literally) is on the pre-ordered Batis 135/2.8. If you have ever used a Zeiss Batis lens on the A7rII, the Zeiss Baits is native Sony FE AF. Full stop. But then again the Batis 135 is F2.8 and the Sigma Art is F1.8 and from what I see, the Sigma @F1.8 is performing very well adapted/MC-11 to the A7rII. Will the Batis 135 measure up

P.S. I already own the Sigma MC-11 just in case.

May 07, 2017 at 05:21 PM
inglis
• •
p.13 #15 · p.13 #15 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

Thanks Boris,
the Leica shots look especially nice geometrically, if I am not reading in a preference.

May 07, 2017 at 08:54 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.13 #16 · p.13 #16 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

The price drop on the MC-11 starts to make a few different Sigma options tempting...

May 07, 2017 at 09:48 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.13 #17 · p.13 #17 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

GMPhotography wrote:
I know wish we where closer. It's going to be a interesting test. I could upgrade but it's got to smoke this Sigma to do it at 2.4. That's the test I want to know. This Sigma is really sharp but it is kind of heavy. Actually my Sigma 24-35 is taller and as heavy. I got two monsters on my hands. But truthfully the weight does not feel bad at all on camera on your back well yea it does. It's not a vacation lens and I get paid to shoot so I'm supposed to suffer major back issues.
...Show more

I don't think it's going to smoke the Sigma. I think they are both so good that it'll be very hard to pick much difference.
I think it's a question of form factor. Want speed and don't care about bulk? Sigma. Want something more portable? Batis. Of course you need to be able to pay more for the Batis, and essentially what you (I mean I - I've pre-ordered) should expect to get is basically just smaller and lighter with similar quality.

I don't doubt that the Zeiss will be technically one of the best lenses for 24x36 format ever; but the best lenses in terms of contrast and sharpness and flare are so good now, that (at this top end) that's not an important factor.

Of course, maybe I'll be amazed and get more than weight reduction for my extra coin. But I'm not necessarily expecting it.

May 07, 2017 at 10:38 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.13 #18 · p.13 #18 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

Everyday user-friendliness and versatility are very strong points - no adapters and just over 600 grams, AF, OIS, tuned to a7 series, and a one-handed carry. The (Otus level) 135/2 APO gets close to the Batis's wide open image quality by f4, according to Zeiss data sheets. Not quite as good in outer frames, something many fast medium telephotos display.

Stopped down to f5.6, the 'tuned for wide open' Batis APO is not as good as the Loxia 85/2.4 in the outer frame, which in turn is not quite as good as the Leica 50AA, a percent or two in it. The Leica 135/3.4 is no match at any aperture for the new Batis - wide open. The Batis should win some friends with new a9 buyers and 135-oriented travel shooters.

May 07, 2017 at 11:28 PM
timde

p.13 #19 · p.13 #19 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

philip_pj wrote:
Stopped down to f5.6, the 'tuned for wide open' Batis APO is not as good as the Loxia 85/2.4 in the outer frame, which in turn is not quite as good as the Leica 50AA, a percent or two in it. The Leica 135/3.4 is no match at any aperture for the new Batis - wide open. The Batis should win some friends with new a9 buyers and 135-oriented travel shooters.

Do you think the Batis 135 is underperforming the Loxia 85? At all apertures, or just f/5.6 and smaller apertures.

May 08, 2017 at 12:51 PM
MaTiHH
• •
p.13 #20 · p.13 #20 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

Love at first shot

[url=https://flic.kr/p/U6bhqE]

Elder Tulips[/url] by martin timmann, auf Flickr

May 10, 2017 at 10:42 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.