FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

The Food Photography Thread

Bruce_T
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The Food Photography Thread

Lauchlan Toal wrote:
Another shot from a while back, even though I don't drink I love shooting bottles. Didn't realize that you can rotate the label at the top until after the shot though, fortunately it was just for fun and not a paid shoot.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3867/33290831201_dcb7b02f14_c.jpg

Very nice! I notice the lack of reflections, a drawback in my kludged setup. Plus my sloppy background . . .

Edited on Mar 17, 2017 at 12:17 AM · View previous versions

Mar 14, 2017 at 02:16 AM
Bruce_T
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The Food Photography Thread

rico wrote:
I'm generally defeated by food photography. I find appetizing color palettes hard to achieve.

Thanks for posting your set-up - very helpful!

Do you find appetizing color palettes hard to achieve in terms of photography or food choice / preparation?

Mar 14, 2017 at 02:25 AM
rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The Food Photography Thread

Bruce_T wrote:
Do you find appetizing color palettes hard to achieve in terms of photography or food choice / preparation?

In terms of post. With suitable remapping of hues, I know that almost anything can be made to look delicious—even car tires! I just don't have that particular skill. I'm fine with lighting and neutral color control which is sufficient for non-food tabletop/product.

Mar 14, 2017 at 02:50 AM
Bruce_T
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · The Food Photography Thread

rico wrote:
In terms of post. With suitable remapping of hues, I know that almost anything can be made to look delicious—even car tires! I just don't have that particular skill. I'm fine with lighting and neutral color control which is sufficient for non-food tabletop/product.

Interesting. I would love to see an example, if you care to share.

I find that the pictures that folks respond to on food web sites usually have neutral color balance, but cues like grill marks or dripping fat that makes the food look savory. Crispy skin on grilled chicken usually triggers this response.

Mar 14, 2017 at 03:09 AM
Bruce_T
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · The Food Photography Thread

ronno wrote:
I use daylight always. And a reflector when needed...

Ron, those are fantastic pictures! I like daylight pictures, too, but unfortunately often not an option when I have finished cooking . . .

Mar 14, 2017 at 03:12 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · The Food Photography Thread

Bruce_T wrote:
Interesting. I would love to see an example, if you care to share.

No laughing and pointing. From the olden days of 1Ds:

Mar 14, 2017 at 03:24 AM
Almass
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · The Food Photography Thread

Still breathing.....

Mar 14, 2017 at 07:12 AM
Uzay
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · The Food Photography Thread

Mar 14, 2017 at 02:00 PM
Bruce_T
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · The Food Photography Thread

rico wrote:
No laughing and pointing. From the olden days of 1Ds:

http://patternassociates.com/rico/photo/misc/snack2.jpg

http://patternassociates.com/rico/contax/misc/fruit1.jpg

No laughing and pointing from me. The apples and bananas picture makes me want an apple.

The white balance or saturation looks off on the pasta shot - maybe too much red. One of the reasons I shoot with a white or neutral background (or plate) is that I can use that to quickly get the white balance close.

I like "food in setting" shots when the setting contributes to the picture, like the ones from trenchmonkey and bbourizk above. Most of my pictures are at home, so the scenery does not change and I prefer to isolate the food.

I also like plate shots, such as the lovely ones posted by ronno and uzay, where the plating or cooking pan used tells part of the story.

My usual preference, though, is to zoom in on the food. Often the details - texture of bread, markings on cooked shrimp, the glisten of fat or oil, or the char of the grill - is what gets the salivary glands going.

Thanks, all, for posting such lovely and varied pictures. A couple more from me:

Mar 18, 2017 at 01:59 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · The Food Photography Thread

Mmmmm...

Mar 18, 2017 at 03:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Almass
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · The Food Photography Thread

For Reuben lovers..... @ Monty's Deli - Maltby Street - London

[/IMG

[/IMG

Mar 18, 2017 at 04:24 PM
SiMuMe
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · The Food Photography Thread

D5500 + Sigma 18-35 F1.8, window light.

f/2.8

Mar 22, 2017 at 06:03 AM
SiMuMe
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · The Food Photography Thread

Bump!

D7000 + Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 AF-S G | F3.5 ISO 3200

May 13, 2017 at 05:57 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · The Food Photography Thread

There's just no way I could get a sandwich like this out here.

May 13, 2017 at 12:51 PM
Bruce_T
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · The Food Photography Thread

Couple of recent mostly-veggie meals with the Tamron 90/2.8 VC.

Hongos al vapor:

Calabacitas al mojo de ajo, rice and beans

May 20, 2017 at 01:05 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · The Food Photography Thread

This is NOT a thread to visit when you're hungry... or thirsty...

I recently experimented with my diet and took two photos to share with friends of what breakfast and lunch looked like. Nothing special photographically, though I shot these with a pre-AI lens mounted on my Df, the 28 f/2 N.C.

28.2.NC.Breakfast by Curtis Grindahl, on Flickr

28.2.NC.LCHFLunch by Curtis Grindahl, on Flickr

May 20, 2017 at 01:58 PM
ross attix
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · The Food Photography Thread

With maybe one exception, it doesn't look like there was a food stylist on these. In well done food photography there is as much work to prep the food as there is to setting up the set and lighting it. Sorry, but most of these just look like someone cooked a meal, and shot it.
(Rarely is the food itself ever cooked to be eaten. It is prepared for the shot and that's it.) The buns in the sandwich shot look commercial, burnt seeds and all. For a real job, the seeds would be hand placed with a toothpick and rubber cement!

May 20, 2017 at 01:59 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · The Food Photography Thread

ross attix wrote:
With maybe one exception, it doesn't look like there was a food stylist on these. In well done food photography there is as much work to prep the food as there is to setting up the set and lighting it. Sorry, but most of these just look like someone cooked a meal, and shot it.
(Rarely is the food itself ever cooked to be eaten. It is prepared for the shot and that's it.) The buns in the sandwich shot look commercial, burnt seeds and all. For a real job, the seeds would be hand placed with a toothpick and
...Show more

To be fair, very, very few photographers shoot food professionally, let alone with a stylist.

I do agree that a stylist helps though, but even in jobs that's not always possible until you reach a high level. For example, in the shots below I had 15 seconds to shoot the dish and couldn't re-arrange anything, because the food was being served - and even if I could arrange things, the budget was so low that hiring a stylist would be impossible. Now I wouldn't take jobs like this, but in smaller cities you have to take what you can get when you're starting out.

As for the sandwich shot, if you're referring to mine, yeah, those were store-bought buns, and everything cooked by me and photographed for fun. Obviously not at the level you'd expect from a multi-day Burger King shoot, but fun practice.

May 20, 2017 at 02:13 PM
pmac1985
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · The Food Photography Thread

Great thread. espcialy good as I've been asked to take images for a friends new menu and haven't done anything like that bar some quick pics of my food.

a few of mine, 50mm, no special lighting.

chinese style courgette by peter mcallister, on Flickr

slow cooked duck leg by peter mcallister, on Flickr
chinese teriyaki chicken by peter mcallister, on Flickr
chinese style slow cooked ribs by peter mcallister, on Flickr

May 20, 2017 at 03:30 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · The Food Photography Thread

ross attix wrote:
(Rarely is the food itself ever cooked to be eaten. It is prepared for the shot and that's it.) The buns in the sandwich shot look commercial, burnt seeds and all. For a real job, the seeds would be hand placed with a toothpick and
...Show more

What you're describing is a thread that belongs on a Presentation board, NOT a gear forum like this. If that is what you want, you're certainly welcome to create such a thread and curate it as you wish. I take this thread as simply an opportunity for folks shooting with Nikon gear to share photos they've taken of food. Some will do it with more flair, some will share snapshots. All good, in my opinion.

May 20, 2017 at 07:17 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password