FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Zion NP Next Week For 3 Days

spooky action
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Zion NP Next Week For 3 Days

Dustin Gent wrote:
they will close the narrows if it gets higher than 150cfs i think - so you won't need to worry about it being crazy in there.

i went last February and i didn't have a dry suit or neoprene socks. I gave myself a time limit of 1 hour, but lasted 1:45. My feet were bricks for like 3 hours, haha. But the snow melt was weeping in the narrows - really cool experience. Plus i was the only one in the narrows. Special time!

No neoprene socks in February sounds intense!

The outfitter was telling me that unless I start first thing in the AM then I will be hiking with hundreds of other people. I was hoping it would be quiet since it's still early in the spring and mid-week, but that's apparently not the case.

Do you use a CPL down there to remove reflections or is it not necessary?

Mar 09, 2017 at 10:05 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Zion NP Next Week For 3 Days

i didn't, but i have the 14-24 and the fotodiox is way too big for it. I would def. bring one though

Mar 09, 2017 at 10:11 PM
spooky action
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Zion NP Next Week For 3 Days

Good to know, thanks.

Mar 09, 2017 at 10:52 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Zion NP Next Week For 3 Days

spooky action wrote:
The outfitter was telling me that unless I start first thing in the AM then I will be hiking with hundreds of other people. I was hoping it would be quiet since it's still early in the spring and mid-week, but that's apparently not the case.

Do you use a CPL down there to remove reflections or is it not necessary?

In my experience that's accurate... there was a decent crowd at the terminus of the Riverside Walk but the farther you go, the more the crowds will thin out. Google Maps actually has some pretty good panos that you can explore to get a sense for what you will see. You just have to remember that Zion is a popular park and the bottom-up Narrows trail is easily accessible to most people so it's rare that you'll ever be truly alone.

As for a CPL, you should definitely bring one but its usefulness will be highly dependent on how much mud or debris is in the water.

I also picked up my rental gear the night before.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:35 AM
spooky action
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Zion NP Next Week For 3 Days

The Narrows Top-Down Thru Hike is now closed. Bad omen.

Bottom-up still open, but with temps in the upper-70s over the next week, it may suffer the same fate.

Silver-lining is the weather should be incredible.....

Mar 10, 2017 at 03:28 PM
spooky action
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Zion NP Next Week For 3 Days

I just got back from my trip. All I can say is I wish I had more time in Zion (and that the Narrows was open - it closed 2 days before we got there!). Suffice it to say that I will definitely be going back for the Narrows, the Subway, and some of the eastern parts of the park.

Here is what we did over 2 nights and 2.5 days and a few comments for anyone reading this thread in the future: (short version - Wednesday: Riverside Walk and Weeping Rock; Thursday: Bryce Sunrise, Queen's Garden/Navajo Loop, Willis Creek Slot Canyon; Friday: Angel's Landing.)

Wednesday - Got into Zion midday, ate lunch and took the shuttle to Riverside Walk and then Weeping Rock, both super family friendly and you get two giant waterfalls right off the bat which make for great family photography opportunities, especially Weeping Rock. We spent about an hour and half there alone. Afternoon was nice because you get the sun illuminating the waterfall and then a nice sunstar opportunity after it dips behind a mountain.

Thursday - Woke up at 4:45 AM and drove out to Bryce to catch the Sunrise with the family. In a word: Spectacular. I positioned myself to the west almost perpendicular to the sun to get a pano with both a sunstar and hoodoos lighting up at 20mm. I got a great pano with that, but if I had to do it again, I would have posted up opposite of that spot, a little down Queen's Garden trail with the sun behind me and focused more on the hoodoos.

After pancakes, we hiked the Queen's Garden/Navajo Loop combo - again, spectacular, especially with snow in many places. I did this with my 28 lb son on my back. Not ideal for photography but I really didn't have many issues and came up with some of my favorite shots of the trip.

After the hike we still had plenty of time to drive back to Zion and get another hike in. Instead, we drove to a little slot canyon - Willis Creek Slot Canyon - in the opposite direction. Very remote, pretty and easy for my 6 year old girl to hike in and out (she also did the Bryce hike earlier in the day without any issues). Another great photography opportunity - though this time was a little tougher setting up the tripod with my son on my back.

Even after Willis Creek, we still got back into Zion with time to do the Canyon Overlook trail if my family had been up for it. I would definitely recommend mixing in Bryce even on a short trip. It is too great not to.

Friday - I hiked up Angel's Landing alone at sunrise. Amazing hike and obviously photogenic. My family was done by this point and we headed back to Vegas.

Monday - I snuck in 2 hours at Valley of Fire to shoot the firewave, which I have yet to process. VOF is completely underrated in my opinion and well worth the short trip from Vegas.

I'm not on upload and sell, so if anyone wants to see some of the photos referenced above, I posted a few of them that I have processed so far on photography-on-the.net. Here's a link: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1478130 (If this is inappropriate I'll take it down).

Thanks again to everyone for the advice. It was really helpful in planning and executing the trip.

Josh

Edited on Mar 22, 2017 at 11:18 AM · View previous versions

Mar 22, 2017 at 09:56 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Zion NP Next Week For 3 Days

awesome! Glad you had a great time and the weather cooperated!

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:51 AM
spooky action
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Zion NP Next Week For 3 Days

The weather was unseasonably warm, apparently (and was the reason the Narrows closed). We wasted a lot of luggage space on cold weather clothes. That said, my hands eventually went stiff shooting the Bryce sunrise at about 32 degrees. That was the only "cold" we really had to deal with.

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:21 AM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Zion NP Next Week For 3 Days

spooky action wrote:
I just got back from my trip. All I can say is I wish I had more time in Zion (and that the Narrows was open - it closed 2 days before we got there!). Suffice it to say that I will definitely be going back for the Narrows, the Subway, and some of the eastern parts of the park.

Here is what we did over 2 nights and 2.5 days and a few comments for anyone reading this thread in the future: (short version - Wednesday: Riverside Walk and Weeping Rock; Thursday: Bryce Sunrise, Queen's Garden/Navajo Loop, Willis
...Show more

Appreciate the detailed itinerary. I am going to the area next month with some family (e.g. adults, kids, etc.) and wondering where in Bryce did you go to catch the sunrise? I am staying about 90-120 minutes away from Bryce so wondering if it's worth the RT in case the family wants to stay in the hotel while I do it solo. Hmmmmmm

Mar 25, 2017 at 04:06 AM
spooky action
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Zion NP Next Week For 3 Days

Ming-Tzu wrote:
Appreciate the detailed itinerary. I am going to the area next month with some family (e.g. adults, kids, etc.) and wondering where in Bryce did you go to catch the sunrise? I am staying about 90-120 minutes away from Bryce so wondering if it's worth the RT in case the family wants to stay in the hotel while I do it solo. Hmmmmmm

We were staying in Springdale, a 1:50 min drive to Bryce per Google Maps. I recall leaving at 5:30ish AM and making it to Bryce by 7:20ish AM. And I was driving pretty fast.

Sunrise was at 7:38 AM, BUT it takes a little more time for the sun to rise over the surrounding mountains, so it may have been closer 8/8:10 when the sun finally came around and began to light the canyon.

Where to go? Easy: Sunrise Point. There are signs which take you to a parking area that is a 5-10 min walk to the actual sunrise point, which is a fenced in area above the rest of the rim trail.

Like I said above, I would go down the Queens Garden trail a few hundred feet, which begins right next to the Sunrise Point area. I think that would have been a better vantage point for shooting especially at 20mm which is what I was using.

RT is definitely doable IMO. That said, I would insist that my family make the trip too because it really is incredible. Mine stayed at the point, while I moved around.

Also, you should buy the Annual National Park Pass for $80 if you plan to do Bryce and Zion. Together they are $60 anyway, so for another $20 you get free admission to every NP in the country for one calendar year.

Have a great trip and I'm happy to answer any other questions.

Mar 25, 2017 at 01:25 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Zion NP Next Week For 3 Days

spooky action wrote:
We were staying in Springdale, a 1:50 min drive to Bryce per Google Maps. I recall leaving at 5:30ish AM and making it to Bryce by 7:20ish AM. And I was driving pretty fast.

Sunrise was at 7:38 AM, BUT it takes a little more time for the sun to rise over the surrounding mountains, so it may have been closer 8/8:10 when the sun finally came around and began to light the canyon.

Where to go? Easy: Sunrise Point. There are signs which take you to a parking area that is a 5-10 min walk to the actual
...Show more

Ok, we are staying in Springdale as well so same time and distance. I am going to try and "convince" them to leave pre-dawn and head to Bryce for sunrise, because the RT driving would be tough for me

As far as the parks pass, I think we're getting in free because one of my cousins is in the 4th grade. Here's the advertisement:

https://www.everykidinapark.gov/get-your-pass/

Mar 25, 2017 at 02:37 PM
spooky action
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Zion NP Next Week For 3 Days

Ming-Tzu wrote:
spooky action wrote:
That looks like a good deal.

If you can, try to stay beyond the sunrise so you break up the day a little bit. It's worth hiking down into the canyon to be amongst the hoodoos and then back up. Incredible views and raw scenery with the bristle cone pines and petrified wood.

Mar 25, 2017 at 04:54 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Zion NP Next Week For 3 Days

I'm headed to Zion later this month. From what I've read and seen, it looks like an UWA, 17mm and 24mm TS-E, perhaps a Summicron R 50 (panos) and 70-200mm will do it. Mostly I'll shoot with a 5D IV.

Is there any really compelling reason to bring 2x teleconverters or perhaps a 500mm mirror lens (Sony A7R)?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 23, 2017 at 09:09 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Zion NP Next Week For 3 Days

500mm in way too long imo. I have an 80-200 and that was a bit long in most cases

Dec 24, 2017 at 10:37 AM
jdc562
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Zion NP Next Week For 3 Days

Speaking of people dying at Angels Landing, if you're going to be hiking on well-used trails in freezing weather, crampons will help prevent skating on the packed-down icy parts..... As I found out the hard way, lug-soled hiking boots aren't enough for icy conditions.

Dec 27, 2017 at 03:15 PM
       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.