1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2017 · M5: if you only want to use 1 prime lens

CW100
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · M5: if you only want to use 1 prime lens

PicGuy wrote:
The predictions regarding DSLRs are like the ones made by global warming scientists. We were supposed to see the end of snow by now along with the DSLR being on its deathbed. DSLRs still have roughly 2/3 of the market. Shooting boats is not really a test of the AF system. Especially when the subject is moving laterally to the camera and a small aperture is used giving a deep DoF. The M5 is not known for its ability to shoot BIF, sports or many other action situations. It is a good camera but not a DSLR killer in regard
...Show more

right, it's all "fake news"

to anyone reading this :

Adorama has a 30 day return policy and they pay the return shipping. This is a very easy way to try the M5 or M6 with "native" or adapted EF lenses. - try it for a month .... you just might be surprised

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Jan 19, 2018 at 03:47 PM
PicGuy
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · M5: if you only want to use 1 prime lens

CW100 wrote:
right, it's all "fake news"

Fake news? Is this supposed to negate the brutal truth of what I stated? DSLRs do make up about 2/3 of the ILC market and the M5 is not a reliable action camera. This is beyond dispute but evidently not beyond disbelief.

Jan 19, 2018 at 05:07 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · M5: if you only want to use 1 prime lens

the "brutal truth" of mirrorless cameras ... folks, it's absolutely brutal and 'beyond disbelief' ...

don't dare click this link to reveal the horrible horrible "truth" about mirrorless cameras (you have been warned)

to anyone reading this :

go beyond the "fake news"

Adorama has a 30 day return policy and they pay the return shipping ... wowzaa !
This is a easy way to try the M5 or M6 (or M100) with "native" or adapted EF lenses.
you just might be surprised .... (if you get beyond the "fake news"

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorles

Edited on Jan 19, 2018 at 06:38 PM · View previous versions

Jan 19, 2018 at 06:07 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · M5: if you only want to use 1 prime lens

PicGuy wrote:
The predictions regarding DSLRs are like the ones made by global warming scientists.

I disagree. The DSLR predictions have not been confirmed.

Jan 19, 2018 at 06:17 PM
PicGuy
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · M5: if you only want to use 1 prime lens

gdanmitchell wrote:
I disagree. The DSLR predictions have not been confirmed.

... and GW predictions have been confirmed?

Jan 19, 2018 at 06:39 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · M5: if you only want to use 1 prime lens

PicGuy wrote:
... and GW predictions have been confirmed?

Largely.

And you'd probably be better off taking your climate change discussion to a forum where that is the intended subject. Here it will only take us off-topic and likely lead to some unfortunate arguing.

Jan 19, 2018 at 06:52 PM
PicGuy
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · M5: if you only want to use 1 prime lens

gdanmitchell wrote:
Largely.

And you'd probably be better off taking your climate change discussion to a forum where that is the intended subject. Here it will only take us off-topic and likely lead to some unfortunate arguing.

Maybe your comment should have been taken somewhere else too? There are a long line of predictions that have not come close to occurring regarding GW.... just like with the claims of the demise of the DSLR. See how I brought it back to a camera discussion?

Jan 19, 2018 at 07:09 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · M5: if you only want to use 1 prime lens

My big question is how does the 22/2 focus on the newer DPAF M cameras?
It is unusable on the original M, slightly better on the M2, and I haven't used the M3.
The kit zooms and even some of the EF(S) lenses focused quite fast (perfectly fast enough) on the M2 I had last year, and the 10-18 STM was especially fun.

Jan 19, 2018 at 07:15 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · M5: if you only want to use 1 prime lens

ISO1600 wrote:
It is unusable on the original M, slightly better on the M2, and I haven't used the M3.
The kit zooms and even some of the EF(S) lenses focused quite fast (perfectly fast enough) on the M2 I had last year, and the 10-18 STM was especially fun.

to answer your big question ... it's quick on DPAF M cameras

to anyone reading this :

Adorama has a 30 day return policy and they pay the return shipping. This is a very easy way to try the M5 or M6 with "native" or adapted EF lenses. - try it for a month .... you just might be surprised

Jan 19, 2018 at 07:20 PM
PicGuy
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · M5: if you only want to use 1 prime lens

CW100 wrote:
to anyone reading this :

What is the deal with the constant shilling?

Jan 19, 2018 at 09:14 PM
PicGuy
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · M5: if you only want to use 1 prime lens

ISO1600 wrote:

The EF-M 22mm is one of the, if not the, slowest focusing native lens(es) for the M cameras.

Jan 19, 2018 at 09:17 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · M5: if you only want to use 1 prime lens

On my EOS M3, the EF-m 22 is decent but a little pokey: count "one-potato" while pressing the shutter button and it locks in normal interior light while in face tracking AF mode (all points active and closeup to infinity). If I use only a single AF point it's a lot faster. Maybe three or four times faster? It basically blazes in comparison to face tracking/all points. I think the camera's processor is the main bottleneck, not the lens.

Jan 19, 2018 at 10:31 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · M5: if you only want to use 1 prime lens

PicGuy wrote:
The EF-M 22mm is one of the, if not the, slowest focusing native lens(es) for the M cameras.

!
the 22/2 is actually fast and sharp (and inexpensive)

"Compared with DSLR cameras, mirrorless cameras can place the lens mount closer to the imaging sensor, giving a shorter register distance. A shorter register distance means that wide angle lenses can be constructed simpler. With a long register distance, typically for a DSLR camera, you need a complicated retrofocal optical design to make wide angle lenses. With a shorter distance, the lens design becomes simpler, and you can make smaller, lighter, and less expensive wide angle lenses."

Jan 20, 2018 at 11:03 AM
PicGuy
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · M5: if you only want to use 1 prime lens

CW100 wrote:
the 22/2 is actually fast and sharp (and inexpensive)

I never said it wasn't sharp or expensive. I own the 22mm, 15-45mm and the 18-55mm and of the three the 22mm focuses the slowest. It is likely due to the pancake design as all Canon pancake primes are not the best performers regarding AF.

Jan 20, 2018 at 11:38 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · M5: if you only want to use 1 prime lens

PicGuy wrote:
I never said it wasn't sharp or expensive. I own the 22mm, 15-45mm and the 18-55mm and of the three the 22mm focuses the slowest. It is likely due to the pancake design as all Canon pancake primes are not the best performers regarding AF.

!
you know (as well as I) the 22/2 pancake lens is an absolute "best performer" but if you or anyone have any doubts -

here's a recommendation- go to a mirrorless forum like https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1060 and ask a question about the Canon 22mm f/2 pancake lens and "AF " ___ go ahead (anyone reading this) ask about the Canon 22/2 pancake lens and read the responses ... (hint: you don't actually have to ask, just do a search, it's already been answered .. many many times ... yeah, it's that's good)

Jan 20, 2018 at 07:07 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · M5: if you only want to use 1 prime lens

I don't frequent DPR anymore but I recall it's a great place if you enjoy cyber mud slinging at strangers.

Jan 20, 2018 at 08:46 PM
PicGuy
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · M5: if you only want to use 1 prime lens

CW100 wrote:
you know (as well as I) the 22/2 pancake lens is an absolute "best performer" but if you or anyone have any doubts -

Well, it isn't an "absolute" best performer. Is it sharp? Yes. Is it inexpensive? Yes. Does it deliver decent IQ? Yes. Does it have the quickest AF? No. What is your point? I own the lens so I know what it can, and can't, do.

Jan 20, 2018 at 11:19 PM
artificialyello
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · M5: if you only want to use 1 prime lens

The 22/2.0 may not have the best AF torque in the business but I've found that that problem is kinda non existent if you work with BBF, Back Button Focus i.e. designating the * button for AF and use the MFO, Manual Focus Override for adjustments... No hassle for me since I use MF, Manual Focus lenses a lot... :-))

Jan 21, 2018 at 01:14 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · M5: if you only want to use 1 prime lens

PicGuy wrote:
Well, it isn't an "absolute" best performer. Is it sharp? Yes. Is it inexpensive? Yes. Does it deliver decent IQ? Yes. Does it have the quickest AF? No. What is your point? I own the lens so I know what it can, and can't, do.

if you're using the 22mm f/2 pancake lens to track action then, dude, you're way too close !

Untitled by c w, on Flickr

Jan 21, 2018 at 04:36 PM
PicGuy
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · M5: if you only want to use 1 prime lens

CW100 wrote:
if you're using the 22mm f/2 pancake lens to track action then, dude, you're way too close !

I guess you haven't taken many photos of active toddlers, older children and pets among other subjects with a with a 35mm (equivalent) prime lens. A person doesn't always have the ability to get far from a subject and a lens like the 22mm is the perfect focal length.

Jan 21, 2018 at 04:44 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.