New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2016 · Starter flash

davesuitor

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Starter flash

Take a look at the new radio enabled Canon 430EX III-RT for $249. Nice unit and looking to the future, will put you on track for the new radio technology.

I have the non-radio 580EX II and the 430EXII and prefer the more compact 430, except when I need range. I recently bought a Yongnou 600RT and the Yn-3 controller and really like that setup.

On a less than positive Canon note, I have broken my 580EX 3 times. It is large and lives a tough life slung over my shoulder at race tracks, The last time it broke, I replaced it with the Youngnuo 600RT/YN-3. Cheaper than a repair and gives me radio capability.

regards,
dms

Dec 27, 2016 at 07:37 PM
Methodical
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Starter flash

Listening to us is fine and like anything else, you talk to 10 people you get 10 different opinions, which is fine if that's how you make your purchasing decision. However, I suggest you do some bit of reading on the subject (check youtube also) so that you can put it all together and make the BEST purchasing decision, why, because you would have educated yourself on the subject and not just relied on 10 different opinions from the web. So, with all that said, here's my opinion. I think you should get a flash (speedlight) with E-TTL (stay away from manual only flashes) since you just want to mount and shoot. I won't make any suggestion on any specific brand or which is best because I've only used Canon's (580II) and there are many reviews out there on flashes that will help you decide which is best for you. I did not have as many choices as there are today when I purchased my 1st speedlight.

Below is another link to another resource on speedlights. Also, the Strobist link above provides some basic understanding of how to use speedlights.

Speedliter HandBook

Edited on Dec 28, 2016 at 04:51 AM · View previous versions

Dec 28, 2016 at 04:25 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Starter flash

It's really *not* that hard for the OP's stated purpose - no fill, single flash as main light for family gatherings.

Canon 430 EX III-RT bounced off the ceiling would have done it, with flash in E-TTL and camera in M (only because that's how you tell a Canon camera not to use fill, not because there's anything "manual" about it).

Dec 28, 2016 at 04:43 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Starter flash

That's easy for you to say because you've been around the block. It's a bit confusing when you are venturing in the waters for the first time. What's easy for one person, may not be easy for the next.^^^^

You still need to understand how it all works and how to best utilize it.

Dec 28, 2016 at 04:45 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Starter flash

Paul Mo wrote:
I have a 430EX and it is a champion. Just keeps on working. I also have a 540EZ that I should use more.

I have three 430EX's all bought used and they are just great

Can you use a 540EZ on anything other than manual mode? I had one and think I tried on an EOS and it didn't work

Dec 28, 2016 at 09:19 AM
diverhank
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Starter flash

If you want a cheap flash that works well with Canon, get a Yongnuo YN600EX-RT for US $120. It works very well as an RT master and slave and as an optical slave (doesn't do optical master). I found it completely compatible with Canon and Yongnuo flashes and controllers. The only two things it doesn't do, besides optical master, are Ext-A and Ext-M - the two modes that most of us don't use.

I tested the light output using a flash meter and the Yongnuo actually outperforms the Canon 600EX-RT version 1 in all manual mode settings (did not test ETTL).

Dec 29, 2016 at 01:58 PM
Kolbasz
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Starter flash

diverhank wrote:
If you want a cheap flash that works well with Canon, get a Yongnuo YN600EX-RT for US $120. It works very well as an RT master and slave and as an optical slave (doesn't do optical master). I found it completely compatible with Canon and Yongnuo flashes and controllers. The only two things it doesn't do, besides optical master, are Ext-A and Ext-M - the two modes that most of us don't use.

I tested the light output using a flash meter and the Yongnuo actually outperforms the Canon 600EX-RT version 1 in all manual mode settings (did not test ETTL).

OK, so I am returning to this subject now that I have my 6dm2. The question I have, is this. If I was considering the Yongnuo YN600EX-RT at $120, is it worth the 100$ investment to step to a used 600RT-EX in excellent condition?

Oct 23, 2017 at 07:20 AM
diverhank
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Starter flash

Kolbasz wrote:
OK, so I am returning to this subject now that I have my 6dm2. The question I have, is this. If I was considering the Yongnuo YN600EX-RT at $120, is it worth the 100$ investment to step to a used 600RT-EX in excellent condition?

If you can find a used 600EX-RT for $220 jump on it. Nothing beats the Canon flash. Most after market flashes, including the Yongnuo, doesn't do rapid firing (high speed continuous) very well...they tend to overheat very quickly.

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:01 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Starter flash

Get a Godox TT685 or 860II flash, it is very similar to the 580/600, and you also get an integrated transmitter for other Godox/Flashpoint lights/strobes in the future. Couple that flash with an AD200, and you have a great family portraiture setup for not alot of money, about $450 or so in total.

Oct 24, 2017 at 05:04 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Starter flash

another vote for the 430exII
third party flashes like Yongnuo are good but ETTL may not work on future camera models

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:27 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Starter flash

I have never run into a new camera model where the 3rd party units stopped working with ETTL, but I assume it is possible. In any case where there were issues with these 3rd party items, they have issued firmware updates. Both YN and Godox offer firmware updates to their devices. I wouldn't make that a priority concern, but rather concentrate on what system all works well together, is convenient to set up, and has great battery life/ease of battery/extensibility with other like units.

Right now, the only manufacturer that has a wide range of units all working together with integrated radio communications and long battery life, while keeping prices down to an amateur/prosumer level, is Godox/Flashpoint, with different flash units, portable strobes, high power strobes, accessories, etc. Canon and YN simply do not have the hardware breadth that Godox does at this point, for around the same price point as their own equipment.

I used to have 2 580EXII and 2 AD360s, 2 sync cables, a box full of AAs, and 5 YN units to control everything. I have now moved to 2 TT685 flashes, 1 AD360 and 2 AD200s, and eliminated all YN units and sync cables, with everything all being controlled centrally from one unit, either one of the TT685 flashes or the X1T when I need both flashes off camera. This is simpler to set up, control, and manage, with less AA battery need. I have more light, yet more flexibility, and easier setup time. The new XPRO unit will make remote management of all of these simpler as well, but for now I will keep using the X1T.

For example, regarding costs, if someone picked up a TT685 and an AD200, they would have less money into these flashes than a single 600EXRT, but more flexibility and more light, and no transceivers to deal with. Setup requires simply putting the TT685 on the camera, and the AD200 on a light stand, and turn both on, they are ready to go.

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:29 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Starter flash

IMHO, the Canon 430ex III RT is an inexpensive first flash. I have two of them. I aslo have the Canon 600. I find the 600 heavy and especially mounted on the camera's hotshoe. The 430 is RT so it works nicely with the 600 when the OP moves up to multiple flashes. The GN of the 430 is more than enough to bounce flash in a house. The 430 has the same catch light bounce card as the 600. The 430 can be used as a master or slave in multi flash arrangements.

The biggest difference between the 430 and 600(besides GN) is that the 430 uses a single, center focus point where the 600 uses multiple focus point.

Can't comment on third party flashes because I have not owned one. I would recommend the 430ex III RT as a good first flash.

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:42 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Starter flash

Another advantage of getting new 430 EX III instead of II is the built in white card you can pull out. That way you can tilt the head up, pull out the card and some of the light will be directed right in front of you. Older unit didn't have that, you have to "doctor in" a piece of office paper with some rubber bands on the head which is certainly not ideal. Also you should be getting a diffuser in the package of the newer one you can pop in and have not as strong direct flash. With EX II this was a third party option only. And if you decide to upgrade to a larger unit later, you will have a nice radio controlled auxiliary unit and can get more creative with the flash photography.

Eneloops are the way to go. I have a set that's 8 years old and still works well. Two years ago I purchased another set so now I rotate them.

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:48 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Starter flash

I've been really happy with the old 380EX +cord. If one of the older ones fires off camera sans cord, it might be about the same price as the 380EX +cord.

I doubt you'd see much advantage of another flash for single flash auto use, connected to the camera. The 500 series have another stop of power, though

I like to bounce off the ceiling, although this takes away power.

Turning up the iso can help if you want to take several photos over a short period. Less power is needed, so it recycles faster.

I've found the pop up flash to be decent, what problems are you having? I do prefer bounce flash, however

I have an old 540EZ that I like, but I just use it in manual. And last u checked, they seemed a bit on the expensive side for an older manual flash. Although they are nice

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:07 AM
John Power
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Starter flash

I bought a 430EXII on buy and sell for a very reasonable price. It would appear to me that based on your intended use that would be all you need. I use it with my G5X but it will work great with any Canon model with a hotshoe for the family-type genre of photos.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:42 PM
Kolbasz
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Starter flash

This is all most interesting. On one side you buy to be able to expand and grow your collection to work interchangeably, on the other, you buy to fill a need.

Right now, I am in the need based category. I am not looking to do big function hall photography. I just want basic everyday recreational photography.

So where do I sit? I ponder the godox, vs 430 ex ii/iii

110$, 125 used and 200 used is about what I am looking. The godox is new price. While I still need to read on the godox and watch some videos, these I think are 3 I am looking at. It seems the 600 and the equivalent YN are Overkill for my needs, not to mention build quality on the YN turned me off in some of the videos online. While good, I don't want to wrestle with the flash.

So these 3 flashes all seem to get equal praise with some always coming back to the Canon.

Without ruling the godox out, let's first pick between the 2 430s.

ii at 125
iii at 200

The price jumps, but is it worth it for the pull out cars and included diffuser? Are there other major difference between the 2?

The 3 is slightly lighter it seems, but that's minimal.

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:05 PM
John Power
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Starter flash

ii

Oct 26, 2017 at 06:13 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Starter flash

Yongnuo 600 EX RT mentioned above is a great flash for the price. I have 3 of these and 2 of the Canon ones that I use together. You can pick up one of the Yongnuo's used for under 100.00. They are not built as well as the Canon equivalent but well enough if you are not careless with them. I pack them all around in a Think Tank Navigator and use them often, setting them around all over the place, and have had no issues with their performance.

Another plus is you can easily go off camera with it with a $50 signaling unit by them as well and with these RT devices you can put the light anywhere, even out of sight of the camera. I love this system. Good luck, and yes you want to practice lighting and settings prior to your occasion.

Oct 26, 2017 at 06:14 PM
StevenSHH
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Starter flash

If you haven't made any purchases, Canon does have refurbished flash on sale + tax.

Oct 27, 2017 at 03:44 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Starter flash

You don't need the pull out card, just get one of these modifiers and save alot of money, if you decide on buying a Canon flash.

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Diffuser-Reflector-Speedlite-Sunpack/dp/B01263XUJ6/ref=pd_sim_421_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TP26TFG1GRN55T2QR1ZF

Buying a Godox means you can control other flash units in the future with its built in wireless, like the AD200 (extremely useful flash), the 600, etc.

Oct 27, 2017 at 06:46 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.