FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Club Fungus Colony Erupts from Dead Twig

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Club Fungus Colony Erupts from Dead Twig

Various parts of our garden have materials benefical to wildlife. Much of this resource is in the form of dead wood, from stacked logs of various ages and species down to scattered twigs. One such area comprises a wigwam-shaped cone of long sticks, up which honeysuckle grows and within the shelter of which are variously-sized logs or twigs of dead wood in various stages of decay, some covered in live moss.

It was one of the finger-thick twigs which caught my attention towards the end of October. The wood was very dead and somewhat rotted, although the bark (Silver Birch) was just about attached. It was through the bark that I saw some robust, root-like protrusions. A few days later, I noted what was clearly fungal mycelium on the base of the growths. So I decided to document the growth of these projections.

I continued to photograph the progress over three weeks. This was clearly a club fungus and I suspected that it was the Pipe Fungus Macrotyphula fistulosa, the substrate and morphology being correct. Although I removed the twig from any overnight frosts, it stopped growing and shrivelled when it had attained only about a quarter of the expected height.

My camera was the Olympus OM-1, Olympus Digital 50mm f2 macro ED lens, mostly at f16 and at f16 effective with the system x1.4 TC behind it for the closer shots. Triple TTL off-camera flash was used and the camera was hand-held.

The images are from 31 October and 2, 14 and 22 November. The first three sessions were with the twig taken into a greenhouse and placed on the bench. The last was at the outdoor location.

Stereo pairs are crosseye.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2016

First growths 31 October

© Harold Gough 2016

First growths 31 October

© Harold Gough 2016

First growths 31 October

© Harold Gough 2016

2 November

2 November

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:01 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Club Fungus Colony Erupts from Dead Twig

14 & 22 November.

© Harold Gough 2016

14 November

© Harold Gough 2016

22 November

© Harold Gough 2016

© Harold Gough 2016

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:18 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Club Fungus Colony Erupts from Dead Twig

Well done and very neat Harold ~ Ron

Dec 13, 2016 at 08:16 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Club Fungus Colony Erupts from Dead Twig

Interesting fungus
Brian v.

Dec 14, 2016 at 01:30 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Club Fungus Colony Erupts from Dead Twig

LordV wrote:
Interesting fungus
Brian v.

It's edible so I hope to find enough, in future years, to go with Tagliatelli.

Harold

Dec 14, 2016 at 04:26 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.