Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              50              52              56       57       end

Zeiss Batis Image Thread

Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.51 #1 · p.51 #1 · Zeiss Batis Image Thread

AGeoJO wrote:
I thought you were referring to the Batis 40mm only but I came across your other thread about potential issues of Batis lenses on recent Sony cameras in general. At this point, the only Batis lens I have is the Batis 85mm. And that lens works on the A7r V perfectly. As matter of fact I used that lens on the A7r V a lot on a trip to Europe and Morocco in early summer this year.

I wanted to compliment you on your wonderful choice of model. You have a great talent for choosing strangers and semi-pros to pose for you. I really like the way the Batis 40 performed for you here, colors and background softness are just perfect! I'm sure your model was impressed with the results. As always, thanks for your inspiring images!

I don't own the a7R5, so hope I am insulated from the potential problems with Batis and Loxia lines on Sony bodies. It would be a terrible shame to have these two great Zeiss lines abandoned from Sony newer models, especially after Zeiss originally helping establish Sony as a top competitor in the full frame photo market. Fortunately, I own a7R4 and a7R2 and seem secure. If I have to stay with a7R4 as my top Sony, I should be good for a long time.

Nov 13, 2023 at 09:35 AM
Blueshound
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.51 #2 · p.51 #2 · Zeiss Batis Image Thread

I have an older Batis 25, that I've always loved for it's rendering. I haven't used it in quite some time, spending more time with Sony's newer zooms.

If the clear skies hold out this morning, I may be able to take it out on my A7C R and do some simple focusing tests. What I have in mind is a simple comparison of AF-S, AF-C w tracking and manual focus.

For simplicity probably f5.6 or f4, and fixed, constant white balance. I'd also like to know whether I need to limit the use of the Batis with the A7RIV.

I don't have any of the other Batis lenses, and Joshua has already verified that the 85 appears to have no focus issue.

Brian

Nov 13, 2023 at 12:39 PM
jmmaher
• • •
p.51 #3 · p.51 #3 · Zeiss Batis Image Thread

Blueshound wrote:
If the clear skies hold out this morning, I may be able to take it out on my A7C R and do some simple focusing tests. What I have in mind is a simple comparison of AF-S, AF-C w tracking and manual focus.

That would be great - thanks

Nov 13, 2023 at 02:12 PM
Blueshound
• • •
p.51 #4 · p.51 #4 · Zeiss Batis Image Thread

I had the opportunity to take a few shots using the Batis 25 on the Sony A7C R body. I very much wanted to keep this simple, and had a limited amount of time, so nothing fancy here, and no aperture series. My goal was to do a simple test of focus accuracy using AF-S, AF-C with Expand Spot w Tracking and Manual Focus. Manual focus made use of the setting for magnification on moving the focus ring, which I have set to the greater of the two options, in the settings menus. (From memory, I think this was 5.7, but don't hold me to that.)

I used f4 as the aperture, as a compromise between what I would normally choose (e.g. f5.6), and those who would prefer wide open. The camera was hand-held, so please excuse the variations in framing. I also see that I must have taken a slight step back for the shot in Manual Focus, but you'll get the general idea.

The images were each Lossless Compressed RAW, brought into ACR, with absolutely no sharpening applied. I used AUTO for minor adjustments to tone and color on the first image, also the Optics corrections selected by ACR. Exactly the same develop settings were applied to the final two images.

The shot order was as follows:
1. AF-S, with the medium focus spot moved over the center uppermost white sign that reads "Waterlily" (same focus point for all three images).
2. AF-C and Expand Spot with Tracking (I may be mis-remembering Expand Flexible Spot as Expand Spot).
3. Manual focus

I then exported all three from PS to Jpeg, color-converted to sRGB, bit depth converted to 8bit, and at full size. Then posted to a Flick album, where they can be viewed directly, but you need to use the link.

Note the file names in the album, the order may not be the same as my ordering above.

The files are tagged as "Public", so should allow downloads for anyone who's interested.

Please feel free to comment, particularly if you choose to download the files. Right now I don't have access to my 32" 4K monitor, so limited to the display on my 4K laptop. I have my own thoughts, but let's see what others think.

On a personal note, this is the first time I've tried Manual Focus with the A7C R. I found this tricky on the small EVF - I can see myself relying primarily on AF. And I'm not sure that the Manually Focused shot is as good as it could have been.

Brian

Album Link
https://www.flickr.com/gp/blueshound/1A87ps63X1

Nov 13, 2023 at 05:13 PM
jmmaher
• • •
p.51 #5 · p.51 #5 · Zeiss Batis Image Thread

View my Smugmug page
Post icon p.1 #10 ∑ Batis - Any issues with newer cameras from A7R5 on?

Blueshound wrote:
one who's interested.
Please feel free to comment, particularly if you choose to download the files. Right now I don't have access to my 32" 4K monitor, so limited to the display on my 4K laptop. I have my own thoughts, but let's see what others think.

Thanks for doing this.

Very interesting results- when downloaded I lost track of which was which but the focus in all of them looked good. However one had what I perceived as a much higher level of contrast. This one - 53330738375_920923b5a5_o.jpg

Do the lens focus equally well on AFS and AFC? Any difference you noted?

Nov 13, 2023 at 10:08 PM
jmmaher
• • •
p.51 #6 · p.51 #6 · Zeiss Batis Image Thread

Just to put this back on track. An image from when I had the Batis 135.

ILCE-7RM4    ZEISS Batis 2.8/135 lens    135mm    f/2.8    1/320s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 14, 2023 at 09:16 AM
swldstn
• • • •
p.51 #7 · p.51 #7 · Zeiss Batis Image Thread

Sorry to get off track again but just did some quick tests with my Batis 25/2, 40/2, and 85/1.8 on the A7C II with both AF-C an AF-S in low light in my room lit with one lamp and focus for all was pretty quick and good I thought. The 7CII has more focus points than my A7RV and A7CR so I donít know if thatís helping in any way. Will have to test those two bodies tomorrow.

Nov 14, 2023 at 05:21 PM
mitchjaz2
• • •
p.51 #8 · p.51 #8 · Zeiss Batis Image Thread

Ozark sunset.

© mitchjaz2 2023

ILCE-7RM3    ZEISS Batis 2.8/18 lens    18mm    f/6.3    1/320s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 16, 2023 at 06:26 AM
rob_ww
• •
p.51 #9 · p.51 #9 · Zeiss Batis Image Thread

Great use of 18mm POV

Nov 16, 2023 at 10:56 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.51 #10 · p.51 #10 · Zeiss Batis Image Thread

Untitled by David Viramati Sampson, on Flickr

Nov 16, 2023 at 10:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Viramati
• • •
p.51 #11 · p.51 #11 · Zeiss Batis Image Thread

In the Pub by David Viramati Sampson, on Flickr

Nov 16, 2023 at 10:59 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.51 #12 · p.51 #12 · Zeiss Batis Image Thread

Toilet by David Viramati Sampson, on Flickr

Nov 16, 2023 at 11:01 AM
genjy
• • •
p.51 #13 · p.51 #13 · Zeiss Batis Image Thread

Some from a spring collection shoot. My partner shot with an A7RIII + 50 1.2 GM while I used an A7IV + Batis 85:

^The location is Samantha's house in HBO's Euphoria. We shot inside the house too.

Nov 22, 2023 at 02:18 AM
Matt Kerby
• • •
p.51 #14 · p.51 #14 · Zeiss Batis Image Thread

swldstn wrote:
Sorry to get off track again but just did some quick tests with my Batis 25/2, 40/2, and 85/1.8 on the A7C II with both AF-C an AF-S in low light in my room lit with one lamp and focus for all was pretty quick and good I thought. The 7CII has more focus points than my A7RV and A7CR so I donít know if thatís helping in any way. Will have to test those two bodies tomorrow.

I've been shooting my 25 and 40 with my new a7cR, they work perfectly, no issues. I'm actually still blown away by the AF on the A7cR.
The 40 is still stunningly good. Reminds me why this was my favorite lens when it came out. Great travel/walkaround length too

a7cR / 40CF

Dec 08, 2023 at 07:23 PM
Schwarzlicht
• • •
p.51 #15 · p.51 #15 · Zeiss Batis Image Thread

ZEISS Batis 25/2

f4.5

DSC05021 by stm geist, auf Flickr

f4

DSC05204-2 by stm geist, auf Flickr

f9

DSC05122 by stm geist, auf Flickr

Dec 09, 2023 at 08:13 AM
moosemunch1

p.51 #16 · p.51 #16 · Zeiss Batis Image Thread

These images render beautifully with the Zeiss Batis series. The colors just pop!

Dec 10, 2023 at 05:31 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.51 #17 · p.51 #17 · Zeiss Batis Image Thread

© AGeoJO 2023

Chasing Aurora borelis on snowmobile in LaplandÖ

ILCE-7RM2    ZEISS Batis 2.8/18 lens    18mm    f/4.0    15s    1600 ISO    +0.3 EV  

© AGeoJO 2023

ILCE-7RM2    ZEISS Batis 2.8/18 lens    18mm    f/2.8    5s    3200 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Dec 12, 2023 at 08:27 AM
tzhang.wk

p.51 #18 · p.51 #18 · Zeiss Batis Image Thread

Had a fun trip to Taiwan this December and visited the Gaomei wetlands in Taichung city as well as Taroko Gorge in Hualien. Sharing some shots with the Batis 40/2 & 135/2.8:

Wetlands:

Gaomei Wetlands, Taiwan by Wei Kiat Teo, on Flickr

Taroko Gorge:

Taroko Gorge, Taiwan by Wei Kiat Teo, on Flickr

Dec 17, 2023 at 09:01 AM
zoomo
• •
p.51 #19 · p.51 #19 · Zeiss Batis Image Thread

This is getting ridiculous. Even when taking the whole 27" screen it is often not possible to see the whole picture. Can people please have the courtesy and politeness to see to it that their pictures are a correct size to be viewed by others?

Dec 18, 2023 at 02:08 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.51 #20 · p.51 #20 · Zeiss Batis Image Thread

zoomo wrote:
Even when taking the whole 27" screen it is often not possible to see the whole picture.

You have a few options to view images that are too large and overflow
1 - click on the image and FM will load it in the browser, scaled to fit
2 - right-click on the image and select "Open image in a new tab"

Dec 18, 2023 at 03:36 PM
1       2       3              50              52              56       57       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.