1       2      
       4              6       7       end

In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

bjornthun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

DavidBM wrote:
Externally focussing is not a bad idea on a macro. If it's internally focussing it has to be long enough to handle the closest focus without extending. That's why the 90 macro (and Canons 100L) is so huge compared to some legacy 90 macros.

The new Sony 50/2.8 is 71mm long and the internal focus Zeiss Touit 50/2.8 for APS-C is 104mm long, so the new Sony is the one for hiking.

Aug 30, 2016 at 04:25 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Missing some of the third party manual focus lenses in E mount but this might help some looking at the new lens or a 50/55 in E mount.

You could also add the various Canon EF mount lenses and A mount lenses for AF s well as many others for manual focus adapted.
For macro, most of these should work with extension tubes (manual or auto focus).

https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=samyang_af_50_1p4_fe&products=sony_zeiss_fe_55_1p8_za&products=sony_e_50_1p8&products=sony_fe_50_1p8&products=sony_fe_50_2p8_macro&products=sony_fe_50_1p4_za&products=zeiss_touit_50_2p8&sortDir=ascending

Aug 30, 2016 at 04:46 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

perfect for the focus stacking app.

Aug 30, 2016 at 04:55 PM
realVivek
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Image samples attributed to a "sony team" has convinced me to pass on this.

Aug 30, 2016 at 04:56 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

realVivek wrote:
Image samples attributed to a "sony team" has convinced me to pass on this.

What didn't you like about it? Rendering, contrast, colors, sharpness?
To me, bokeh balls are a bit distracting with some out-lining but I thought it was great overall for a 50/2.8.
Starting at f/3.5 they are not that rounded anymore...

My only objection is that it does not have internal focusing and therefore the barrel extends when focusing. So, the more magnification, the bigger the light loss.

Aug 30, 2016 at 05:24 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Internal focusing lenses also have light loss, unfortunately. Try the Nikon 105/2.8 VR, for instance. Some brands don't report the light loss as your lens approaches life size magnification.

Aug 30, 2016 at 05:52 PM
realVivek
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Fred, Rendering-first and foremost. Just hideous.

As Bjornthun notes, all macro (or any lens for that matter) lens of every type loses light as magnification is increased. That is unavoidable.

Aug 30, 2016 at 05:59 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Fred Miranda wrote:
This lens is unique though being a small and compact macro lenses capable of 1:1. Seems like a good companion to the 55/1.8 ZA.

Yes it's amazingly light, which some will no doubt complain about as cheap feeling.

But it's making me tempted. I do a lot of botanical macro, and am lucky enough to live a short bike ride from hundreds of miles of national park. So when on short photo jaunts I use the 90, which while good at normal distances is inexpressibly wonderful in the macro range.

But I never take it on multi day hikes. This little guy, otoh, could make me rethink my hiking kit by incorporating it and readjusting around if it turns out to be as good as the c/y 35-70 at infinity as well as a good macro...

Edited on Aug 30, 2016 at 06:38 PM · View previous versions

Aug 30, 2016 at 06:00 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Fred Miranda wrote:
What didn't you like about it? Rendering, contrast, colors, sharpness?
To me, bokeh balls are a bit distracting with some out-lining but I thought it was great overall for a 50/2.8.
Starting at f/3.5 they are not that rounded anymore...

My only objection is that it does not have internal focusing and therefore the barrel extends when focusing. So, the more magnification, the bigger the light loss.

But the lack of internal focus keeps it compact at infinity and overall weight down a bit. And light loss is largely a function of magnification however achieved isn't it?

Aug 30, 2016 at 06:04 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

True, it's more compact at infinity position and focal length does not change at different magnifications. That's the real plus.
However at 1:1, there will be more light loss as the barrel gets extended quite bit.

DavidBM wrote:
But the lack of internal focus keeps it compact at infinity and overall weight down a bit. And light loss is largely a function of magnification however achieved isn't it?

Aug 30, 2016 at 06:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bjornthun
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Fred Miranda wrote:
True, it's more compact at infinity position and focal length does not change at different magnifications. That's the real plus.
However at 1:1, there will be more light loss as the barrel gets extended quite bit.

All lenses lose light as 1:1 magnification is approached, whether internal focus or if focusing by extension. A symmetrical lens will lose two stops at 1:1 magnification.

Aug 30, 2016 at 06:55 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Right, but the reduction in light loss you get with IF is just that as you focus closer, the absolute aperture (the physical diameter of the iris) stays the same while the focal length reduces, thus making the relative aperture effectively larger. So it's like having a slightly faster but shorter macro. But still most of the light loss at macro distances is just down to magnification, or am I missing something?

Fred Miranda wrote:

Aug 30, 2016 at 06:57 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

DavidBM wrote:
Right, but the reduction in light loss you get with IF is just that as you focus closer, the absolute aperture (the physical diameter of the iris) stays the same while the focal length reduces, thus making the relative aperture effectively larger. So it's like having a slightly faster but shorter macro. But still most of the light loss at macro distances is just down to magnification, or am I missing something?

No, you're right. The Nikon 105/2.8 VR has a max aperture of f/4.8 at 1:1 magnification, commensurate with an iris staying constant and the focal length dropping somewhat. Still 1.5 stops are lost at 1:1, or 75% of the value for a symmetrical lens.

The Sony 50/2.8 has a close focus of 0.16m = 160mm, which divided by 4 is 40mm. So, even this 50/2.8 drops of somewhat in focal length at 1:1. This makes me think that it might not be unit focusing, but rather some sort of floating element design.

Aug 30, 2016 at 07:14 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

bjornthun wrote:
No, you're right. The Nikon 105/2.8 VR has a max aperture of f/4.8 at 1:1 magnification, commensurate with an iris staying constant and the focal length dropping somewhat. Still 1.5 stops are lost at 1:1, or 75% of the value for a symmetrical lens.

The Sony 50/2.8 has a close focus of 0.16m = 160mm, which divided by 4 is 40mm. So, even this 50/2.8 drops of somewhat in focal length at 1:1. This makes me think that it might not be unit focusing, but rather some sort of floating element design.

Aug 30, 2016 at 07:21 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

bjornthun wrote:
All lenses lose light as 1:1 magnification is approached, whether internal focus or if focusing by extension. A symmetrical lens will lose two stops at 1:1 magnification.

By design, I would think that the one focused by extension would lose a bit more light but it may not be even relevant. I agree that both designs would cause light loss and that's about 2 stops at 1:1. The more magnification, the bigger the loss.

An internal focusing lens will normally slightly reduce the focal length as you focus closer though. I guess we can consider the light loss a toss and the camera metering will compensate for any difference.

Aug 30, 2016 at 07:26 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Fred Miranda wrote:
By design, I would think that the one focused by extension would lose a bit more light but it may not be even relevant. I agree that both designs would cause light loss and that's about 2 stops at 1:1. The more magnification, the bigger the loss.

An internal focusing lens will normally slightly reduce the focal length as you focus closer though. I guess we can consider the light loss a toss and the camera metering will compensate for any difference.

Yes, and these properties are never really detrimental to our use of these lenses, but it's useful to understand them. A floating element system is there to ensure high performance at long as well as short range, making the lens more versatile. This is in turn link to the reduction in focal length at the near limit of the lens. See, e.g. the lensrental.com recent test of macro lenses, and comments on the Sony 90/2.8. I'm very pleased with my Sony 90/2.8, and the reduction in focal length is a part of that package.

Lensrentals.com indicate that there are separate focus motors for two different focus groups of the Sony 90/2.8, speculating that this makes the close range correction of that lens more precise than the mechanical system in the Zeiss 100/2 Makro Planar. Thus perhaps explaining to some extent the performance of the Sony 90/2.8.

Aug 30, 2016 at 08:17 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Fred Miranda wrote:

as far as light loss,
i had the Nikon 105 macro (great lens) - it's been a few years, but my recollection is that based on subject distance, "wide open" would change from f/2.8 to something in the 3s.

Aug 30, 2016 at 08:54 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Got the 55/1.8, currently saving for the FE 90. My problem is that critters flee and the MFD is really tight with this new macro. Wonder what the MFD is on the a6300? That might make this one viable. I've been adapting via Metabones the EOS 100 L to the A7Rii, today even used the EOS MP-65; all are fine but weight is always an issue and for that this new macro entices.

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:45 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Got the 55/1.8, currently saving for the FE 90. My problem is that critters flee and the MFD is really tight with this new macro. Wonder what the MFD is on the a6300? That might make this one viable. I've been adapting via Metabones the EOS 100 L to the A7Rii, today even used the EOS MP-65; all are fine but weight is always an issue and for that this new macro entices.

The MFD and magnification is the same, independent of sensor size. Since the APS-C sensor is smaller than the full frame sensor, it covers a smaller area at 1:1 magification, which is approx 12x18mm compared to 24x36mm for full frame.

Since the APS-C sensor is smaller than full frame, you only have to go to about 0.67x magnification to cover the same area as you would with a full frame sensor at 1:1. Still the working distance will be on the short side, and the 90/2.8 will be better for insects and critters.

Aug 31, 2016 at 06:04 AM
itai195
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

I could see carrying this instead of the FE 55 for landscape work. I don't always go out intending to shoot macro, so having a lens that could pull double duty in a pinch, and save myself from carrying the 90 just in case, would be useful. I used to use the ZF.2 50/2 for just such a purpose when I shot Nikon.

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:46 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password