FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              49      
       end

Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA tests

JRHill
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.50 #1 · p.50 #1 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA tests

Thanks to all for continuing this thread. I oscillate a bit between keeping my ZA and going in a newer direction (perhaps the GM 1.2). Every time, I land back on keeping it. It's too good and seems to stand the test of time.

Jun 19, 2022 at 09:18 PM
Schwarzlicht
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.50 #2 · p.50 #2 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA tests

JRHill wrote:
Thanks to all for continuing this thread. I oscillate a bit between keeping my ZA and going in a newer direction (perhaps the GM 1.2). Every time, I land back on keeping it. It's too good and seems to stand the test of time.

I think GM and ZA are very different. The ZA reminds me a little of the Batis 40/2 in terms of colours, contrasts, liveliness and image impression. The ZA may be a Sony lens, but it seems to have a lot of Zeiss genes. The GM is certainly a very good lens. But anyone who has had the ZA for many years will certainly have to get used to the GM. Going to the GM is out of the question for me. Preferably both lenses...

Jun 20, 2022 at 12:39 AM
SNJOps

p.50 #3 · p.50 #3 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA tests

I own the GM but I remember back in 2017 I was attending a beginner’s photography course and one the guys in my class had an A7RIII and the 50mm f1.4 Planar. I remember being blown away not only by his images but also how they looked, gorgeous rendering.

I held off on buying the Planar as at the time I wanted a smaller lens so I got the 55mm f1.8 which I still own but use for street now. I also own a Voigtländer 50mm f1.2 Nokton Aspherical but that’s another story :-)

My GM gets used for portrait work now and its an absolute masterpiece.

Jun 20, 2022 at 06:35 AM
maly149

p.50 #4 · p.50 #4 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA tests

I've tried them both recently, and I'd have a hard time picking between the two if I had to decide. (I own the GM)

The ZA's rendering is very pleasing, and stopped down the lens is just as sharp. And while the GM has better autofocus, I didn't feel that the Zeiss' was bad by any stretch.

Jun 20, 2022 at 09:37 AM
40Driggs
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.50 #5 · p.50 #5 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA tests

Schwarzlicht wrote:
f1.4
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52158547133_f6bf93ddc4_k.jpgDSC09332 by Stefan Mieth, auf Flickr

I love your recent shots, but this one stands out to me. Excellent subject separation and could be used to help share the "magic" of the lens.

Jun 20, 2022 at 11:58 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password