Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              15      
16
       17       18       end
  

Archive 2016 · LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb!

  
 
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #1 · p.16 #1 · LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb!


Thanks the naming of this stuff is silly. Should be more obvious to us


Jul 30, 2016 at 08:47 AM
AGeoJO
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #2 · p.16 #2 · LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb!


GMPhotography wrote:
Thanks the naming of this stuff is silly. Should be more obvious to us


I agree entirely. Apparently, Sony didn't expect that they would introduce another line, the FE line, so soon after they adopted the Minolta mount that ended up being called A-mount. Just a few short years in-between actually. And they ran out of idea on how to call the new lenses .

BTW, Guy, that lens is readily available at B&H and if you buy it on-line now, you will get it by Tuesday or Wednesday, I believe, just shortly after you have made it back home. If you pick one up directly, you have to pay tax, adding to the final cost....



Jul 30, 2016 at 08:55 AM
Holger
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #3 · p.16 #3 · LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb!


New test (compared to 55/1.8)
http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=19190

For _me_, the 1000Euro price differential is not worth the difference in performance. The 55 is superb, too, as is my Sigma Art.



Jul 30, 2016 at 08:57 AM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #4 · p.16 #4 · LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb!


Yea I know . I won't be home till next Saturday and love to have it to play with two days before I hit the road driving back. I got a 2500 mile trip home driving a 16ft cargo van. I'm actually at 42nd street photo waiting for it to open up.
And yes I'm a very sick in the head person. Lol
AGeoJO wrote:
I agree entirely. Apparently, Sony didn't expect that they would introduce another line, the FE line, so soon after they adopted the Minolta mount that ended up being called A-mount. Just a few short years in-between actually. And they ran out of idea on how to call the new lenses .

BTW, Guy, that lens is readily available at B&H and if you buy it on-line now, you will get it by Tuesday or Wednesday, I believe, just shortly after you have made it back home. If you pick one up directly, you have to pay tax, adding to the final
...Show more



Jul 30, 2016 at 09:02 AM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #5 · p.16 #5 · LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb!


Worst case I'll go to B&H Sunday morning


Jul 30, 2016 at 09:02 AM
AGeoJO
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #6 · p.16 #6 · LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb!


GMPhotography wrote:
Worst case I'll go to B&H Sunday morning


Somehow, I could picture you at B&H's door before they are open and chant: "Open, open, open" .



Jul 30, 2016 at 09:26 AM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #7 · p.16 #7 · LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb!



I'm hoping it's not as sterile as either one of them. They have no character to me.
But we all have different opinions here. I'm going home looking at a very high dollar gig so I really don't care about the money and that's always secondary to me anyway.


Holger wrote:
New test (compared to 55/1.8)
http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=19190

For _me_, the 1000Euro price differential is not worth the difference in performance. The 55 is superb, too, as is my Sigma Art.




Jul 30, 2016 at 09:30 AM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #8 · p.16 #8 · LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb!



They say it's in stock but I'm waiting for the warehouse to open at 11. Store front is a piece of crap. Wanna buy a umbrella and suitcase . How about a flashlight. You can get all that and binoculars too.


AGeoJO wrote:
Somehow, I could picture you at B&H's door before they are open and chant: "Open, open, open" .




Jul 30, 2016 at 09:32 AM
chrisgibbs
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #9 · p.16 #9 · LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb!


GMPhotography wrote:
I'm hoping it's not as sterile as either one of them. They have no character to me.



Yes, that's the point missed by the chart testers....... the FE 1.8/55 is technically superb, but its like that nasal sounding monotone expert, pretty brilliant but not too inspirational, lol. Its the polar opposite of brilliant bi-polar Canon 50L that can more often than not drive to to drink.


Edited on Jul 30, 2016 at 10:11 AM · View previous versions



Jul 30, 2016 at 09:36 AM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #10 · p.16 #10 · LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb!


Not in stock. Dang go to B&H in morning


Jul 30, 2016 at 10:04 AM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #11 · p.16 #11 · LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb!


They had a 20 percent restocking fee which was not thrilling me. I'm better off at B&H


Jul 30, 2016 at 10:09 AM
ecarlino
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #12 · p.16 #12 · LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb!


Mine just arrived (couldn't resist the lure of this lens)
Mounted, not recognized by camera, a7r2.
Updating firmware, I was still on 3.1
Hoping that solves issue.


update:

upgraded firmware on a7r2 to v3.2
lens is still not recognized by camera.

no aperture being read (display is blank)
focus peaking is on, as in Manual Focus only
pressing shutter brings up message: "check that a lens is mounted, for an unsupported lens, set 'release w/o lens'

also, aperture ring unresponsive as is focus ring (i.e. rotating either has no effect on the lens).
my other lenses are recognized as normal, so it's not the camera.
anyone have any ideas?

probably the chip inside is loose or bad or the contacts, lens not getting power from camera or something - bummer, sending back.....



Jul 30, 2016 at 10:22 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #13 · p.16 #13 · LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb!


Holger wrote:
New test (compared to 55/1.8)
http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=19190

For _me_, the 1000Euro price differential is not worth the difference in performance. The 55 is superb, too, as is my Sigma Art.


Best review so far!! and I can't even read it.

Seriously, this is a very good comparison to the 55/1.8. (even though I think they are apples to oranges)
Their infinity tests are real world examples of what we saw in Roger's MTF tests. At infinity, the 50/1.4ZA is sharper in the center and at f/2, it's sharper towards the edges compared to the 55/1.8.

Contrary to what others say about the 55/1.8, I think it's an excellent lens. I really like its abrupt transition zone giving great isolation effect even at f/1.8. It's sharp at f/1.8 center to edges and at f/2 is really spectacular resolution-wise throughout the entire field. (better than the Loxia 50/2)

My only 55/1.8ZA complain is CA control and onion ring pattern in its bokeh drawing. These issues are quite severe and something that was fixed with the new 50/1.4ZA.



Jul 30, 2016 at 11:07 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #14 · p.16 #14 · LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb!


ecarlino wrote:
Mine just arrived (couldn't resist the lure of this lens)
Mounted, not recognized by camera, a7r2.
Updating firmware, I was still on 3.1
Hoping that solves issue.

update:

upgraded firmware on a7r2 to v3.2
lens is still not recognized by camera.

no aperture being read (display is blank)
focus peaking is on, as in Manual Focus only
pressing shutter brings up message: "check that a lens is mounted, for an unsupported lens, set 'release w/o lens'

also, aperture ring unresponsive as is focus ring (i.e. rotating either has no effect on the lens).
my other lenses are recognized as normal, so it's not the camera.
anyone have any ideas?

probably the chip inside
...Show more

total bummer!!!



Jul 30, 2016 at 11:07 AM
AGeoJO
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #15 · p.16 #15 · LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb!


Fred Miranda wrote:
Best review so far!! and I can't even read it.

Seriously, this is a very good comparison to the 55/1.8. (even though I think they are apples to oranges)
Their infinity tests are real world examples of what we saw in Roger's MTF tests. At infinity, the 50/1.4ZA is sharper in the center and at f/2, it's sharper towards the edges compared to the 55/1.8.

Contrary to what others say about the 55/1.8, I think it's an excellent lens. I really like its abrupt transition zone giving great isolation effect even at f/1.8. It's sharp at f/1.8 center to edges and
...Show more

Don't feel bad, Fred, I cannot read the review either .

In the AF comparison test though (two video clips of targeting the same object), I noticed that the AF of the f/1.4 lens is more sure footed but I noticed the AF noise of the motor, similar to that of the 85mm GM lens. Did you notice that, too, Fred? The 55mm lens, on the other hand, is noiseless.



Jul 30, 2016 at 12:23 PM
virtualrain
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #16 · p.16 #16 · LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb!


Holger wrote:
New test (compared to 55/1.8)
http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=19190

For _me_, the 1000Euro price differential is not worth the difference in performance. The 55 is superb, too, as is my Sigma Art.


Great comparison. For me, it was tough to call a clear winner in most of those comparison shots... Even at 100%, and where I could see a difference it wasn't significant. It's a great reminder of just how blessed we are to have the compact light FE 55.



Jul 30, 2016 at 12:26 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #17 · p.16 #17 · LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb!


AGeoJO wrote:
Don't feel bad, Fred, I cannot read the review either .

In the AF comparison test though (two video clips of targeting the same object), I noticed that the AF of the f/1.4 lens is more sure footed but I noticed the AF noise of the motor, similar to that of the 85mm GM lens. Did you notice that, too, Fred? The 55mm lens, on the other hand, is noiseless.


Yes, I also hear the AF motor reminiscent of the 85GM. It's also slower than the 55/1.8 with all that big glass to move.



Jul 30, 2016 at 12:30 PM
virtualrain
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #18 · p.16 #18 · LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb!


AGeoJO wrote:
Don't feel bad, Fred, I cannot read the review either .

In the AF comparison test though (two video clips of targeting the same object), I noticed that the AF of the f/1.4 lens is more sure footed but I noticed the AF noise of the motor, similar to that of the 85mm GM lens. Did you notice that, too, Fred? The 55mm lens, on the other hand, is noiseless.


Interesting. My impression is the f/1.4 had more difficulty acquiring focus at times of the figurine. It also seemed ever so slightly slower going from infinity to close but not significantly. I also noticed the sound... Same as the 85GM.



Jul 30, 2016 at 12:30 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #19 · p.16 #19 · LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb!


virtualrain wrote:
Great comparison. For me, it was tough to call a clear winner in most of those comparison shots... Even at 100%, and where I could see a difference it wasn't significant. It's a great reminder of just how blessed we are to have the compact light FE 55.


So far to me, noticeable differences are much better aberration control, cleaner bokeh balls and the wider aperture. There seems be more more contrast as well but I can only be sure when I see the RAW files.



Jul 30, 2016 at 12:32 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #20 · p.16 #20 · LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb!


Note to Self: Never sell the 55/1.8 ZA. You went through many copies to find a perfect one. This lens is amazing for its size and it's a great match for the A7* series.


Jul 30, 2016 at 12:35 PM
1       2       3              15      
16
       17       18       end




FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              15      
16
       17       18       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password