New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2016 · 1DX MKII Freezes & Soft Focus

Sportsmagazine

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DX MKII Freezes & Soft Focus

I just received my 1DX MKII and it freezes all the time. Using f/4 200-400 and 600mm. Switched to f/2,8 300mm same. Focus soft on all lenses, FOCAL cannot adjust MA to fix issue. I've shot with 1DX for many years and can't figure this out. Called Canon CPS and they claim no other reports of any of these issues. Any chance anyone else is having same issues, I can't figure this out.

Jerry

Jun 11, 2016 at 07:47 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DX MKII Freezes & Soft Focus

There are some reports on here and on DPReview of similar issues. But yours sounds worse than most. I'd send that back for an exchange immediately. I wouldn't bother having Canon look at it if it is brand new. Just get it replaced.

Jun 11, 2016 at 08:07 PM
Sportsmagazine

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DX MKII Freezes & Soft Focus

Hi, I went to the site you mentioned and I see others are having same issues. Only issue is we didn't use the camera it was in inventory in the studio for over a month. We can't return it. No one here would have thought a new 1DXMKII could be defective out of the box after all the issues we had with the 1DX before the recalls.

Jun 11, 2016 at 08:32 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DX MKII Freezes & Soft Focus

I don't think you can ever assume that. Each body is different with its own set of potential issues. The problem for Canon is the timing so close to the Olympics. If they have a major lockup issue do they have time to figure it out and then get a FW fix out or a recall organized if it's more along the lines of hardware. Can't be reassuring to Olympic shooters to have this hanging over their head.

Jun 11, 2016 at 09:06 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DX MKII Freezes & Soft Focus

I just used my 16-35 f2.8 with my 1DxII and on multiple occasions today the camera would not fire or allow aperture change. I had to turn the camera off and on in order to get it to work again.

This has never happened before with my other lens and this camera.

Jun 11, 2016 at 09:21 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DX MKII Freezes & Soft Focus

I understand there is no error code displayed on the top LCD, correct?

1DX had an error 80 displayed when a lockup occurred. Just found this article, linking 1DX's problem to spot metering: http://www.ronscheffler.com/techtalk/?p=110

Any chance you guys also had spot metering set?

Jun 11, 2016 at 09:34 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1DX MKII Freezes & Soft Focus

kosin wrote:
I understand there is no error code displayed on the top LCD, correct?

1DX had an error 80 displayed when a lockup occurred. Just found this article, linking 1DX's problem to spot metering: http://www.ronscheffler.com/techtalk/?p=110

Any chance you guys also had spot metering set?

No, not spot metering.

Jun 11, 2016 at 10:51 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1DX MKII Freezes & Soft Focus

Call CPS!

Jun 12, 2016 at 03:59 AM
Sportsmagazine

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1DX MKII Freezes & Soft Focus

After reading here, dpreviews, seeing others at work with same issue as me, and even videos I've seen posted of the freezes and soft focus there is no doubt for a new camera in small population the bugs in the 1DX MKII are a reality. If Canon can fix the defective parts in the 1DX MKII cause this soon it would be nice. I'll never use it as my primary body again until Canon fixes the freezing and soft focus. I can't even use it as a back up.... wishing I never got this.

Jun 12, 2016 at 08:42 AM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1DX MKII Freezes & Soft Focus

It's pretty pathetic that issues are out there with a flagship body.

Jun 12, 2016 at 08:59 AM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1DX MKII Freezes & Soft Focus

Since the 1Dx2 by the market all we have seen is excellent photos coming from the body mine included.
Now apparently everyone is having huge issues and there are posts everywhere.
Well the only post is this one.
Seems to me something very aromatic is coming from this poster.
No photo examples to show exactly what soft focus is when everyone else is getting great results.
Having now used the camera with the 600 and 200-400 with and without converter without an issue and apparently "every body" has the same problems.
Mm no they don't.
Everyone with images up reports the camera is stellar.
Then some random with 3 posts comes in reporting all 1Dx Mk2's are failing.
Yea right..both of his oh and his "friends".
Oh 91 pages here of outstanding images and no mention of issues with guys shooting it for over a month plus.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1458333&page=1

The only issue it would seem is the random corrupt file some people are getting which may or may not be a camera or card issue but a MAC OS issue.

Jun 12, 2016 at 06:33 PM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1DX MKII Freezes & Soft Focus

dehowie wrote:
Since the 1Dx2 by the market all we have seen is excellent photos coming from the body mine included.
Now apparently everyone is having huge issues and there are posts everywhere.
Well the only post is this one.
Seems to me something very aromatic is coming from this poster.
No photo examples to show exactly what soft focus is when everyone else is getting great results.
Having now used the camera with the 600 and 200-400 with and without converter without an issue and apparently "every body" has the same problems.
Mm no they don't.
Everyone with images up reports the camera is stellar.
Then some random with
...Show more

There are other users who have reported this issue as well with the camera locking up. They just didn't start their own threads. In addition to the lack up issue, there are quite a few people who are having their fies corrupted off f the cfast card.

With the lock up, the common denominator is a long lens 300+ and the need for fast af. (Ie racing action)

Jun 12, 2016 at 06:47 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1DX MKII Freezes & Soft Focus

Sportsmagazine wrote:
After reading here, dpreviews, seeing others at work with same issue as me, and even videos I've seen posted of the freezes and soft focus there is no doubt for a new camera in small population the bugs in the 1DX MKII are a reality. If Canon can fix the defective parts in the 1DX MKII cause this soon it would be nice. I'll never use it as my primary body again until Canon fixes the freezing and soft focus. I can't even use it as a back up.... wishing I never got this.

I would agree. I've stayed off Canon's beta testing list by never pre ordering and give them time to at least kick out the first FW revision. Even then you are not entirely safe. I ordered the 1DX after the 2nd FW release but then got bit by the lubrication recall. The fact is the QC on these $6000+ bodies is not what we think it is. Sadly, there is really no place to go as Nikon is just as bad if not worse.

Just have to hope Canon Support has a solution for it. No recourse really as it sounds like the body has been bricked to you.

Jun 12, 2016 at 08:29 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1DX MKII Freezes & Soft Focus

mikeinctown wrote:
There are other users who have reported this issue as well with the camera locking up. They just didn't start their own threads. In addition to the lack up issue, there are quite a few people who are having their fies corrupted off f the cfast card.

With the lock up, the common denominator is a long lens 300+ and the need for fast af. (Ie racing action)

What surprises me is that these four people(or how many reported users) have now turned these problems into interweb folklore. Now the 1Dx II is "defective". The problem could be the result of many variables including a Canon thing. Regardless, many people have now lumped these issues as "it's Canon's fault". Truthfully, no one knows anything for sure.

My 1Dx II doesn't freeze, no corrupt files, no soft focus anything and I use the Sandisk CFast card and reader that came with the camera. I guess the potential purchasers of the 1Dx II should just pass on the camera because they won't be happy regardless what the cause

Just sayin.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:16 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1DX MKII Freezes & Soft Focus

Iwas joeking wrote:
It's pretty pathetic that issues are out there with a flagship body.

Canon must have gotten jealous of Nikon's QC woes and decided to one up them.

Seriously this is simply pathetic and again why I never buy cameras straight away. Consumers more and more are bearing the brunt of shoddy QC issues which are running rampant in so many different sectors.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:46 AM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1DX MKII Freezes & Soft Focus

All I see is page after page of great photos and two randoms with no history generating a sh$& storm for fun.
How about someone put up some images showing an issue?
It's pretty easy to start a conspiracy these days hey if it's on the net it must be true right??
Right now it's nothing but one guy with two logins here and DPR with nothing.
When people who are using the camera with long glass like ME start seeing a problem or some has more evidence than hot air id be saying it's just Nikon faboys stirring the pot.
Thousands and thousands of great photos and all of a sudden it doesn't work?
If it looks like bullsh&$ smells like bullsh$) guess what it probably is?
Show us some proof not words..

Jun 13, 2016 at 01:04 AM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1DX MKII Freezes & Soft Focus

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Canon must have gotten jealous of Nikon's QC woes and decided to one up them.

Seriously this is simply pathetic and again why I never buy cameras straight away. Consumers more and more are bearing the brunt of shoddy QC issues which are running rampant in so many different sectors.

And the conspiracy is continued..hey I saw a pig fly last week it must be true I saw it on YouTube..
How can you possibly take this seriously when they show no substance and there is so much many great photos already in circulation?
A few more out of focus images..I mean seriously and these where with the 600II and 1.4 none are bare.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Feathered-friends/i-2ZnTFM2/0/X2/IMG_0170-X2.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Feathered-friends/i-vG9mPcX/0/X2/IMG_0251-X2.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Feathered-friends/i-jHtCDQH/0/X2/IMG_0295-X2.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/The-Hounds/i-KxrXncn/0/X2/IMG_0022-X2.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Feathered-friends/i-d9TwnNn/0/X2/IMG_0267-X2.jpg

When i see some images demonstrating OOF images from a camera that has the best out of box AF I have ever used let me know with a list of settings etc and shots with the AF point indicated etc.
I am surprised though the highlight clipping hasn't been spoken about more.

Jun 13, 2016 at 01:08 AM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1DX MKII Freezes & Soft Focus

I think it's the internet effect, what ever is wrong multiple it by 1000x

Jun 13, 2016 at 03:12 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1DX MKII Freezes & Soft Focus

Dehowie,

Boy, that's some defective 1dx2. Great shors btw...

Jun 13, 2016 at 06:27 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1DX MKII Freezes & Soft Focus

People were posting solid images from the 1D3 when it first came out as well. Does that mean there wasn't an issue with the camera? After a long time of ignoring the issue Canon finally addressed it with multiple recalls and FW releases. Doubt they would have done that if it was just the normal failure rate. That body had design issues.

I had a lot of problems with my 7D2 and AF tracking consistency. I could post solid images as well but that doesn't mean all the OOF shots weren't a big problem.

Jun 13, 2016 at 06:54 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.