Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · These pretty flowers grow along the ocean on the California coast

Adam_A
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · These pretty flowers grow along the ocean on the California coast

This was my first time attempting focus stacking, which I found very challenging, but necessary in these cases (the 3rd image is just a bonus attempt). All of these images were taken at 16 mm with a Canon 5dmkII. 3-5 separate images were blended for depth.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1609/25698481800_c7e5f04284_o.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1635/25593386531_83591e25f7_o.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1614/25306702440_6e6a7c37e0_o.jpg

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:36 PM
gpelpel
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · These pretty flowers grow along the ocean on the California coast

All very good shots.
Focus stacking on the Garrapata Beach lilies is particularly efficient. Well done!

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:40 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · These pretty flowers grow along the ocean on the California coast

Very nice! Image three is outstanding!
Keith W.

Mar 27, 2016 at 11:07 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · These pretty flowers grow along the ocean on the California coast

they are all great
first is my favorite.
I do wish you could have tamed the highlights on the flowers a little better,

Mar 27, 2016 at 11:51 PM
ShahanaPinky
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · These pretty flowers grow along the ocean on the California coast

All are beautiful. The last one is beloved for me.

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:32 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · These pretty flowers grow along the ocean on the California coast

Hey Adam,

I imagine how hard the first couple of shots were. #2 is my favorite. Was this recent?

Jim

Mar 28, 2016 at 03:04 AM
fplstudio
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · These pretty flowers grow along the ocean on the California coast

I prefer 1# although 2# has a better composition. It looks like a better highlight control would have helped the power of the pictures. Overall nice work here

Mar 28, 2016 at 07:11 AM
Adam_A
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · These pretty flowers grow along the ocean on the California coast

gpelpel wrote:
All very good shots.
Focus stacking on the Garrapata Beach lilies is particularly efficient. Well done!

Thanks. Yeah even f/22 wouldn't have cut it in these cases. Focus stacking is a necessary evil. .

Adam

Mar 28, 2016 at 08:57 AM
Adam_A
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · These pretty flowers grow along the ocean on the California coast

JimFox wrote:
Hey Adam,

I imagine how hard the first couple of shots were. #2 is my favorite. Was this recent?

Jim

Thanks Jim. Yes, recent (early March). I wish I would've gone to the calla lilies in May though because the light would've been much nicer.

Adam

Mar 28, 2016 at 08:58 AM
Adam_A
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · These pretty flowers grow along the ocean on the California coast

fplstudio wrote:
I prefer 1# although 2# has a better composition. It looks like a better highlight control would have helped the power of the pictures. Overall nice work here

Yes, had I gone in May, the sun would've set in the center of the image and I could've gotten smoother tones while still capturing the highlights I was seeking. As is, the sun was harsher than I had hoped.

Adam

Mar 28, 2016 at 09:00 AM
Adam_A
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · These pretty flowers grow along the ocean on the California coast

kwilliam8 wrote:
Very nice! Image three is outstanding!
Keith W.

Thanks Keith. Glad you like that one.

Adam

Mar 28, 2016 at 09:46 AM
Adam_A
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · These pretty flowers grow along the ocean on the California coast

ShahanaPinky wrote:
All are beautiful. The last one is beloved for me.

Thanks Shahana. The bridge always makes for a nice subject.

Adam

Mar 28, 2016 at 09:47 AM
Adam_A
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · These pretty flowers grow along the ocean on the California coast

kevindar wrote:
they are all great
first is my favorite.
I do wish you could have tamed the highlights on the flowers a little better,

Yes, had I gone in May, the sun would've set in the center of the image and I could've gotten smoother tones while still capturing the highlights I was seeking since the sun would've been lower. As is, the sun was higher and harsher than I had hoped.

Adam

Mar 28, 2016 at 09:49 AM
andrew perkins
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · These pretty flowers grow along the ocean on the California coast

Really like the 2nd and 3rd here. Very nice!

Mar 28, 2016 at 11:52 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · These pretty flowers grow along the ocean on the California coast

I like the comp of the 1st two, the 1st one being the best of the two
The exception here is overpowering highlights & the too-warm WB.
The flowers should be predominately white.
I think the focus stacking was a good choice, but I've shot these at f16 w/o it.
I have shot these many times with some success so I know it's difficult to get it right.

The over-warm/too bright feel makes it feel sort of flat and overpowers these large but delicate flowers and makes the image feel unbalanced to me. Maybe it's a taste thing.

Thanks for posting

Dan

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:06 PM
gpelpel
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · These pretty flowers grow along the ocean on the California coast

Adam_A wrote:
Yes, had I gone in May, the sun would've set in the center of the image and I could've gotten smoother tones while still capturing the highlights I was seeking since the sun would've been lower. As is, the sun was higher and harsher than I had hoped.

Adam

Except that in May the flowers won't be as perfect. I went to this place two years ago, they were already fading at the end of March and some were almost all brown... but it was a dry year.

Edited on Mar 29, 2016 at 01:19 AM · View previous versions

Mar 28, 2016 at 08:06 PM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · These pretty flowers grow along the ocean on the California coast

Beautiful images. I especially love the comp on #2. If it were mine I'd try to burn down the brightness on the background cliff on the right.

Mar 28, 2016 at 08:43 PM
Cheryle Sytsma
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · These pretty flowers grow along the ocean on the California coast

Wonderful shots!
So beautiful...
Were these taken in the San Francisco area?

Mar 29, 2016 at 08:53 AM
aFeinberg
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · These pretty flowers grow along the ocean on the California coast

That last one is very unique. Great work! Looks like the reds are a bit hot (happens a lot with that channel)...if you could pull detail back. Great stuff

aF

Mar 29, 2016 at 05:59 PM
Kane Engelbert
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · These pretty flowers grow along the ocean on the California coast

All of them are beautifully composed and for the most part well processed. The big sunstar in #2 is not my personal taste, but I do think you processed it well. I do agree with another reply concerning the blown out highlights on the foreground immediate flower. I think #3 is very beautiful and if the reds are blown out, its only by a fraction and likely wouldn't be noticed. Nice shots and thanks for sharing.

Mar 29, 2016 at 07:01 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.