Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       end

Archive 2016 · Canon 80D dynamic range: good news! (quick test with RAW images)

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Canon 80D dynamic range: good news! (quick test with RAW images)

Tom_W wrote:
I will venture to say that the 70D's sensor and that of the 7D2 are not significantly different. I had both at the same time, but never did a head-to-head comparison.

I'll add that when I opened the 80D file above in Lightroom, it responded will to luminance NR.

No banding and chroma noise is a lot lower, looks pretty good.

Mar 30, 2016 at 07:49 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Canon 80D dynamic range: good news! (quick test with RAW images)

I pulled a similar stunt at ISO 3200 today, with artificial lighting. I used a gray card to set white balance individually for each camera.

At basic ISO, they were very similar. At -2 EV exposure, brought back up in post (DPP again), with WB set by eye-dropper for EACH camera, the 80D shows just a bit more noise, but it's all luminous and not CHROMA. That is with Canon's standard NR applied, which appears to be more heavily applied to the 80D than the 7D2.

Setting both NR sliders to 0 gives a modest advantage to the 7D2. I would go out on a limb and 'guess' about 1/3 stop, but that's a rough guess. Again, this is at 3200 exposed 2 stops under, and pulled back up in post.

I did not equalize the images for pixel density. I also haven't played around with them in Lightroom, since I'm much more familiar with DPP at this point.

Mar 31, 2016 at 11:49 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Canon 80D dynamic range: good news! (quick test with RAW images)

Going back to the default NR, I converted both the JPG, but downsized the pixel dimensions of the 80D to match the 7D2 - the result is that they are very close. I realize that comparing with default NR is kind of "cheating" but I wanted to see primarily what difference matching sizes would make. It's small, but noticeable.

Mar 31, 2016 at 11:58 AM
Schlotkins
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Canon 80D dynamic range: good news! (quick test with RAW images)

FYI, the 80D has been added:

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

About a stop better DR at ISO100 - even by ISO400 compared to the 7D2

Mar 31, 2016 at 02:33 PM
Sharlin

p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Canon 80D dynamic range: good news! (quick test with RAW images)

Schlotkins wrote:
FYI, the 80D has been added:

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

About a stop better DR at ISO100 - even by ISO400 compared to the 7D2

And a stop worse than the D7200 at ISO 100 but already at ISO 200 the difference is only half a stop or so. Good enough for all practical purposes I'd say, especially knowing that the quality of the noise has improved quite a bit.

Mar 31, 2016 at 03:03 PM
technic
• • • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Canon 80D dynamic range: good news! (quick test with RAW images)

Sharlin wrote:
And a stop worse than the D7200 at ISO 100 but already at ISO 200 the difference is only half a stop or so. Good enough for all practical purposes I'd say, especially knowing that the quality of the noise has improved quite a bit.

At the same time, when I compare 80D with my old 450D (or even the more recent 700D), improvement in the 400-1600 ISO range is quite limited, just 1/2 to 1 stop (similar to the distance between 80D and D7200 at low ISO ...).
The 2 stops improvement from older APS-C cameras at 100 ISO is nice though. Hopefully the improvement is a bit better in practice than the charts suggest ;-)

Apr 01, 2016 at 06:43 AM
Sharlin

p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Canon 80D dynamic range: good news! (quick test with RAW images)

technic wrote:
At the same time, when I compare 80D with my old 450D (or even the more recent 700D), improvement in the 400-1600 ISO range is quite limited, just 1/2 to 1 stop (similar to the distance between 80D and D7200 at low ISO ...).

Sure. There are diminishing returns at high ISO - we're bumping into the photon shot noise wall. Not much can be done about that. Canon's high ISO capabilities have been quite good for a long time already so incremental improvements are all that's left. The 7200 sensor response is very close to that of an idealized (theoretical) APS-C sensor and the Canon equivalents are almost there when it comes to high ISO. However, the 80D noise quality seems to be impressive - no chroma blobs, no banding - which certainly makes actual photos look much better.

Apr 01, 2016 at 06:58 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Canon 80D dynamic range: good news! (quick test with RAW images)

technic wrote:
The 2 stops improvement from older APS-C cameras at 100 ISO is nice though. Hopefully the improvement is a bit better in practice than the charts suggest ;-)

Are you comparing 100% views for noise or equalising the 80D to the 450D resolution @ 12MP. That's worth a stop in itself.

Apr 01, 2016 at 07:02 AM
technic
• • • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Canon 80D dynamic range: good news! (quick test with RAW images)

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Are you comparing 100% views for noise or equalising the 80D to the 450D resolution @ 12MP. That's worth a stop in itself.

Good question, I haven't read the explanation of the chart but assumed it was equalized for same output resolution as it wouldn't make much sense IMHO directly comparing DSLRs with many different MP numbers and sensor sizes.

Apr 01, 2016 at 10:13 AM
technic
• • • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Canon 80D dynamic range: good news! (quick test with RAW images)

Sharlin wrote:
Sure. There are diminishing returns at high ISO - we're bumping into the photon shot noise wall. Not much can be done about that. Canon's high ISO capabilities have been quite good for a long time already so incremental improvements are all that's left. The 7200 sensor response is very close to that of an idealized (theoretical) APS-C sensor and the Canon equivalents are almost there when it comes to high ISO. However, the 80D noise quality seems to be impressive - no chroma blobs, no banding - which certainly makes actual photos look much better.

Yes, the blotchy chroma noise is the biggest problem with my 450D. On a good display it can get annoying even at 400-800 ISO level, without pushing any shadows ;-(

The latest results and discussions show how 'close to perfect' the D7200 sensor is which I hadn't realized before. Just from the physics it was clear that there wasn't much to gain at higher ISO levels, but the latest cameras seem to show that we are bumping into a wall even for low ISO performance.

Apr 01, 2016 at 10:22 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password