Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

Archive 2016 · An Australian slot canyon

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · An Australian slot canyon

Exceptional control of the highlights Aztatlan. The light rays direct me to the beautifully lit foreground rocks. It's a super image with great composition. Congrats on your first feature thread!
Fred

Mar 05, 2016 at 07:25 PM
Manfred W. fEU
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · An Australian slot canyon

Congratulation a difficult subject so well done , it displays dedication and skill.
Just beautiful and thank you for sharing.
Manfred

Mar 05, 2016 at 07:48 PM
Kane Engelbert
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · An Australian slot canyon

Holy Crap Fire I have looked at a lot of images over the past decade to inspire me to be better. This one I will remember. I'm breathless. I saw it, immediately searched for location...I'll never see it, I'm in Denver.

Mar 05, 2016 at 09:15 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · An Australian slot canyon

Lovely! Excellent change from the over-shot Antelope Canyon.

Mar 07, 2016 at 09:31 AM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · An Australian slot canyon

What a fantastic picture, I can imagine the time you spent working on this picture.

Very well deserved an award.

Marcelo

Mar 07, 2016 at 11:42 AM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · An Australian slot canyon

Excellent image. Worth the effort!

Mar 07, 2016 at 12:09 PM
Ipanematom
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · An Australian slot canyon

Wow! You've got a winner!

Mar 07, 2016 at 01:47 PM
kratos4ever

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · An Australian slot canyon

beautiful! Great job in controlling the highlights

Mar 07, 2016 at 02:44 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · An Australian slot canyon

Congrats! Beautiful image!

Mar 07, 2016 at 03:29 PM
kurt765
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · An Australian slot canyon

Looks like a really cool scene here. Really cool to see the rays and congrats on featured thread.

The highlights coming down at the top of the screen with the beams seem clipped and pulled down too far. Also there appears to be a black edge along the foreground rocks and the screen right edge of the canyon wall, like from a matte edge. Were the light rays super bright and there's a mask here to try to bring them down? The clipped highlights on the green plants right at the top of the frame have a blue hue that I find to be typical for when CMOS sensors clip out white. It's not perfect white, so when you bring down the highlights too hard (like with Lightroom's highlight slider past -50), the RGB values roll off into a slightly bluish grey which contrasts greatly with the yellow-green foliage of adjacent pixels. Call me crazy but I think it would look a bit better if you let the white parts of the exposure stay white and don't try to recover them so much.

Mar 07, 2016 at 04:10 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · An Australian slot canyon

I love the shot... So many juicy details to investigate.
Bruce

Mar 08, 2016 at 12:31 PM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · An Australian slot canyon

Cheers all, thanks for the votes

kurt765 wrote:
Looks like a really cool scene here. Really cool to see the rays and congrats on featured thread.

The highlights coming down at the top of the screen with the beams seem clipped and pulled down too far. Also there appears to be a black edge along the foreground rocks and the screen right edge of the canyon wall, like from a matte edge. Were the light rays super bright and there's a mask here to try to bring them down? The clipped highlights on the green plants right at the top of the frame have a blue hue that I
...Show more

The highlights have been pulled down, although this is a multi-exposure blend so I tried to avoid pulling them back too much. With that said, blending is definitely not my forte as I don't need to do it that often.

As for your comment around the black edge along the foreground rocks and right edge of the wall, to be honest I can't actually see what you're referring to. However in answer to your specific question, there was a number of masks employed in the processing. Thanks for the thoughts/tips though; I'll probably revisit this image (or one from the same spot with a different composition) sometime soon and will see how I can improve on the first round. Cheers

Mar 09, 2016 at 03:32 AM
samwillow
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · An Australian slot canyon

amazing! great image..

Mar 09, 2016 at 05:25 AM
kurt765
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · An Australian slot canyon

Aztatlan wrote:
The highlights have been pulled down, although this is a multi-exposure blend so I tried to avoid pulling them back too much. With that said, blending is definitely not my forte as I don't need to do it that often.

As for your comment around the black edge along the foreground rocks and right edge of the wall, to be honest I can't actually see what you're referring to. However in answer to your specific question, there was a number of masks employed in the processing. Thanks for the thoughts/tips though; I'll probably revisit this image (or one from the same
...Show more

I annotated where I'm seeing edges so you can see what I was talking about. Next time you revisit it you can make this sweet image even better! They become really visible if you zoom in. Cheers.

-K

Mar 09, 2016 at 12:10 PM
ruuskan
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · An Australian slot canyon

Certainly worth the effort, a great scene well captured

Mar 10, 2016 at 01:01 PM
basianov
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · An Australian slot canyon

Stunning. Wow.

Mar 25, 2016 at 09:59 AM
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · An Australian slot canyon

Congrats! A beautiful Shot!

CB

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:40 AM
1              end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.