1       2       3              26      
       end

Sony Smooth Reflection App

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.27 #1 · p.27 #1 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

Here is a stack with 1,033 images in sequences of: 129, 258, 516 and 1033

Not the best sample, sorry guys. No wind and very overcast day.

It would be nice to have a real landscape shot! :-)

Original RAW (ARW)

ILCE-7RM4    Laowa 9mm f/5.6 FF RL lens    9mm    1/30s    100 ISO    +2.0 EV  

129 images (Mean Stack)

258 images (Mean Stack)

516 images (Mean Stack)

1033 images (Mean Stack)

Apr 23, 2021 at 08:56 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.27 #2 · p.27 #2 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

A couple comparisons from the ARW vs 516 stacked DNG: (100% mag)

haha, that's me on the ARW file! I let the camera running while I was watching my son play Roblox. ;-)))

Apr 23, 2021 at 09:15 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.27 #3 · p.27 #3 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

Fred Miranda wrote:
All I know is that it has to do with the source DIR (SD card). Once I moved the ARWs to my desktop, it worked. It's odd because restarting the computer and removing / reinserting the SD card didn't do the trick. It would always give me the error even though the script was correct.

It's interesting that the resulting stacks are all 122.8 MB for me regardless of how many images were in the stack.

Here's what's causing the filenames with the prepended period on the media card:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/14980/why-are-dot-underscore-files-created-and-how-can-i-avoid-them

It's metadata that OSX is generating. Normally this metadata is stored in a hidden branch of the file inside the filesystem but since the media cards use FAT32/exFAT that mechanism doesn't exist so it's created as sidecar files instead.

Apr 23, 2021 at 09:21 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.27 #4 · p.27 #4 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

snapsy wrote:
Here's what's causing the filenames with the prepended period on the media card:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/14980/why-are-dot-underscore-files-created-and-how-can-i-avoid-them

It's metadata that OSX is generating. Normally this metadata is stored in a hidden branch of the file inside the filesystem but since the media cards use FAT32/exFAT that mechanism doesn't exist so it's created as sidecar files instead.

As far as I can tell there is not way to avoid it. Only by deleting the files which we don't want...

Apr 23, 2021 at 09:25 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.27 #5 · p.27 #5 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

Fred Miranda wrote:
As far as I can tell there is not way to avoid it. Only by deleting the files which we don't want...

You can avoid it by copying the files to a native filesystem, ie not using the media cards as the source directory for the script. I'll probably also add logic to ignore files with leading periods since that isn't a common naming structure outside of for hidden files.

Apr 23, 2021 at 09:29 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.27 #6 · p.27 #6 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

Fred Miranda wrote:
Updating with more advantages of doing the averaging in post (instead using the internal Smooth Reflections app -- only available for older Sony bodies now)

5) Option to use "uncompressed RAW"
6) Option to use "silent shutter". This was is a big one because it will save your mechanical shutter.
7) The in-camera intervalometer tells you the remaining time (With SR we had to guess this)

Found another advantage:

8) With the SR app, if foliage or anything moved during the captures, it would look blurry on the final DNG. (No way to edit it in post unless taking another shot without SR, which I usually did)
Now, it's easy to edit the blurred sections of our images by replacing those areas using the original RAW or a stack with less images (less blur)

Apr 23, 2021 at 09:32 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.27 #7 · p.27 #7 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

snapsy wrote:
You can avoid it by copying the files to a native filesystem, ie not using the media cards as the source directory for the script. I'll probably also add logic to ignore files with leading periods since that isn't a common naming structure outside of for hidden files.

Yes, that's how I made it work. I moved the files from the SD card (formatted by Sony) to my Desktop. However, it's nice to run it from the SD card. (One less step)

Apr 23, 2021 at 09:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

KwongFineArt

Upload & Sell: Off
p.27 #8 · p.27 #8 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

What is preventing Sony from giving the newest cameras a similar feature? This and focus stacking in camera would be so helpful.

May 16, 2021 at 09:21 PM
dumplinknet
• •
p.27 #9 · p.27 #9 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

I totally forgot about this. I purchased and used it on my a7. I wish they can bring it back for the newer cameras

May 17, 2021 at 03:11 PM
xpfloyd
• • •
p.27 #10 · p.27 #10 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

Adam, is your script only for Mac? Or pc too? (Before I start diving in to get my head around it)

Thanks!

May 17, 2021 at 03:24 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.27 #11 · p.27 #11 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

xpfloyd wrote:
Adam, is your script only for Mac? Or pc too? (Before I start diving in to get my head around it)

Thanks!

It's both Windows and Mac

May 17, 2021 at 05:29 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.27 #12 · p.27 #12 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

snapsy wrote:
It's both Windows and Mac

I wanted to thank Adam for offering such an amazing tool. It changed the way I shoot and I don't miss Smooth Reflections anymore!

May 17, 2021 at 05:42 PM
xpfloyd
• • •
p.27 #13 · p.27 #13 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

+1 from me Adam, havenít tried it yet as I said but been reading all the posts and it looks great. Going to set some time aside and dive in. I love night photography so most excited about the low light noise improvement possibilities

May 17, 2021 at 07:04 PM
TakenWild
• •
p.27 #14 · p.27 #14 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

Has anyone tried Silkypix for stacking noise reduction RAWs?

Iíve been using Adamís scrips which have been great, but I wonder if more options and refinements would be interesting.

Mar 17, 2022 at 06:21 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password