Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Sony a7 and a7r mount issues - what about your camera?

Phillip Reeve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony a7 and a7r mount issues - what about your camera?

hey folks,

you will probably have noticed the buzz about the plastic mount of the Sony a7 and a7r, I think Fotodiox made a healthy amount of money from it. Sony Germany says issue are either isolated cases or the result of unusually high usage. I am not sure about that so I thought I would start a little survey.

Here is a list of questions, thanks for participating

Does/Did your a7's or a7r's mount show an annoying amount of play? If your answer is yes: What kind of play? Rotational play or do you also see a gap between lens and camera?

If you answered the above question with yes: Does/Did it affect image quality?

How old is your camera?/How old was your camera when you noticed problems?

How many pictures have you taken with it?

If you had issues: How did you fix the issue

Nov 19, 2015 at 03:10 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony a7 and a7r mount issues - what about your camera?

Does/Did your a7's or a7r's mount show an annoying amount of play? If your answer is yes: What kind of play? Rotational play or do you also see a gap between lens and camera?
Yes, there is a gap I can see through between my a7 and the FE 4/16-35.

Yes, it does. For the left image I just put the camera on a tripod. for the right iamges I pressed the lens to the camera so that there was no gap between camera and lens.
100% crop center

100% crop edge

100% crop corner

My camera is 24 months old and I started to notice the issue a few months ago.

about 50k

My camera is at the Sony service right now.

Nov 19, 2015 at 03:17 PM
Peter Zeedijk

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony a7 and a7r mount issues - what about your camera?

--> My A7R only has 1mm of rotational play with my 24-70 f4 and no gap.
My 55, 28, samyang 14mm fe and my adapters do not have this issue, strange enough i always thought it was the 24-70 with the problem

-->Not that i can see, iq is fine with the 24-70, in my opinion better than some people say it is in every day use(maybe lab tests show it's weaknesses better)

--> September 2014, problem was there right form the start but gave me no iq problems so didn't bother addressing this problem.

--> according to Phillip's link: 20790.

--> not necessary

Hope my info was useful Phillip!

greets

Edited on Nov 19, 2015 at 04:11 PM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2015 at 03:54 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony a7 and a7r mount issues - what about your camera?

Peter Zeedijk wrote:
--> no clue actually, how can i find this info? my best guess is according to file name i am crossing the 30000 or 40000 shots.

--> not necessary

thanks!

Here is a tool to find the number of exposures: http://tools.science.si/index.php

Nov 19, 2015 at 03:59 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony a7 and a7r mount issues - what about your camera?

Nov 19, 2015 at 04:08 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony a7 and a7r mount issues - what about your camera?

Yes, it did. Fixed under warranty. But my friend flat out bent the metal part of the mount and sheared a screw off in the mount. She knocked it over on a tripod with the 24-240 mounted. Hit lens first. I fixed it for her with the fotodiox mount.

Shutter counts - mine was ~1200. Hers, about 3100.

No gaps on either. No effect on IQ, that I remember.

A7II seems just about perfect.

Edited on Nov 19, 2015 at 05:29 PM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2015 at 04:11 PM
twoeye
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony a7 and a7r mount issues - what about your camera?

My A7r shows a very small gap between my FE55 and the mount as reported earlier here in the "Issue with the Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 or A7" thread.

The gap between lens and camera on the right side explains the tilted plane of focus which I from the start attributed to the lens (Actually three copies of the lens had the same tilt). My conclusion now is that the problem is caused by the sloppy lens mount. I think the A7RII-mount is tighter, and I could do a test to see if my FE55 is straight on this camera.

My A7r is 24 months old. Problem noticed after 9 months, but I believe it has been there alle the time.

8000 pictures.

Issue may be fixed by shimming the lens on the left side.

Edited on Nov 19, 2015 at 04:40 PM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2015 at 04:15 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony a7 and a7r mount issues - what about your camera?

Thanks for your cases guys!

Please lets keep this thread reserved for the survey. For discussion of the issue and possible solutions I would suggest this thread: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1324124/8#lastmessage

Nov 19, 2015 at 04:19 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony a7 and a7r mount issues - what about your camera?

Problem reported!
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1398872
big problem I would say. It deserve a class action TO ME

Nov 19, 2015 at 04:33 PM
johntruong
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony a7 and a7r mount issues - what about your camera?

Hey Phillip --- I used to own the A7r and now own the A7rII. From what I receall, the A7r had some rotational give on both native and non-native glass (about 1-2mm), but no gap as far as I recall. My A7rII so far does not exhibit this behavior.

EDIT: I was one of the first adopters of the A7r, so maybe the first batch of bodies exhibited this behavior?

Nov 19, 2015 at 05:19 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony a7 and a7r mount issues - what about your camera?

Phillip Reeve wrote:

My A7R did - it exhibited a frightening amount of axial (bending) movement. You could hold the camera and easily flex the lens in any direction enough that the lenses would lose electrical contact with the body and cause the camera to lock up. With heavy lenses like Zeiss ZE glass on an adapter, just the weight of the lens would cause the mount to bend enough to lose electrical contact.

Yes - image quality goes to zero when the camera is locked up...

It was new.

It was new...

I replaced the camera.

The second one exhibited the exact same behavior. I then replaced the flimsy Sony mount assembly with a one-piece Fotodiox Tough E-mount - problem solved.

Nov 19, 2015 at 05:50 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony a7 and a7r mount issues - what about your camera?

Phillip Reeve wrote:
My camera is at the Sony service right now.

It will be interesting to see if Sony replace the mount with a new one of the same type (plastic/metal sandwich) or replace it with an all metal type like the A7s and mk 2 cameras.

Nov 19, 2015 at 06:24 PM
aeonsim
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony a7 and a7r mount issues - what about your camera?

No

24 months

36,892 and it's been around the world a couple of times with me. I mainly use small lenses though (Minolta 135mm MC is about the biggest).

On a related note, after about 4 years my old Nex-5 (51,662 shots) developed a bit of rotation play to the point that zooming with the kit lens could cause it to loose electronic contact. I ended up fixing that one with the tough mount which entirely solved the problem.

Nov 19, 2015 at 07:06 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony a7 and a7r mount issues - what about your camera?

I had two A7r's originally and both had rotational play issue with lenses. Less so with native lens, but it was still there. Using some of the adapters there even more play. The worst I found was the Metabones for play, and the CV VME adapter was good as was the Novoflex.

I had both the A7r's for about 12 months.

Shots about 10,000 on each

Nov 19, 2015 at 07:59 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony a7 and a7r mount issues - what about your camera?

I've had three A7r's. Two were bought used with <2000 actuations. The third was bought LNIB. All three would flex/droop with a heavy lens attached, or when pushing one side of a lens mounted on the camera. There was also some rotational play, but that wasn't so much an optical issue. I replaced the second A7r mount with a Fotodiox Tough E mount. Things firmed up nicely, but some lenses/adapter fit a little tight or not at all. I replaced the third (final) A7r mount with a Shoten adapter. Things firmed up nicely as with the Fotodiox, but without the added tightness, and added compatibility.

There's a reason Sony went with an all metal mount starting with the A7S

Nov 19, 2015 at 09:05 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony a7 and a7r mount issues - what about your camera?

1 x A7 and 1 x A7r = No for both

A7 ca. 12 months and A7r I bought used today but it only has 104 actuations on it. No problems, I use Chinese generic adapters, a Kipon and a Fotodiox. I prefer the generic adapters and the Kipon 'tilt' adapter.

A7 = ca. 7,000
A7r = 3

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:51 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony a7 and a7r mount issues - what about your camera?

I had a A7R for around 20 months and 12K+ actuations. It had a very modest amount of rotational play, with no material consequences. I hung some fairly heavy lenses without noticing any "weight-flex" I also recall that the constructions of the A7 and A7R weren't identical, with the A7R getting more metal and less plastic. That should influence the issue, methinks.

Nov 20, 2015 at 01:19 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony a7 and a7r mount issues - what about your camera?

Phillip Reeve wrote:

Answer: no. I am using the A7R. I should mention that I always use my DSLR lenses attached to the Metabones adapter with its tripod mount. My longest tele lens (Canon 100-400) I always mount with the lens' tripod mount on my tripod. I never let a long lens dangling connected to the camera itself!

Bought in March 2014

About 9000

Yes, once. I had trouble installing the Version 1.20 firmware update, the camera was seemingly dead afterwards. With pure luck I was able to reanimate it myself (rotating the camera mode key into other positions and pressing buttons randomly). Worked fully normal afterwards (with the firmware 1.20 installed), didn't have any issues to install firmware 2.0 later.

Nov 20, 2015 at 02:53 PM
miguel_13
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony a7 and a7r mount issues - what about your camera?

Phillip Reeve wrote:
Thanks for your cases guys!

Please lets keep this thread reserved for the survey. For discussion of the issue and possible solutions I would suggest this thread: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1324124/8#lastmessage

That thread seems to be locked.

I would warn all against the Tough E-mount signature edition if you want to keep infinity focus, particularly with Canon FD glass.

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:17 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony a7 and a7r mount issues - what about your camera?

philber wrote:
I had a A7R for around 20 months and 12K+ actuations. It had a very modest amount of rotational play, with no material consequences. I hung some fairly heavy lenses without noticing any "weight-flex" I also recall that the constructions of the A7 and A7R weren't identical, with the A7R getting more metal and less plastic. That should influence the issue, methinks.

I don't think that the construction difference would make a big difference, it is not as if the front plate of the a7 would bend and that's were the difference in construction is.

Nov 22, 2015 at 05:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.