Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              6       7       end
  

Archive 2015 · Samsung exit?

  
 
miguel_13
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Samsung exit?


Seems like at least one technology giant has decided that there is no future (or profit) in stand-alone cameras.

http://view.asiae.co.kr/news/view.htm?idxno=2015102210592974740

The rough google translation indicates that Samsung believes they should stick to cameras in phones and other portables.

Wow.



Oct 22, 2015 at 01:29 PM
taran
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Samsung exit?


Lets hope they open up the firmware on their cameras for 3rd party solutions.

IF they are running android, Samsung NX could become the raspberry pi of the camera world.



Oct 22, 2015 at 02:02 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Samsung exit?


I thought I read something recently refuting this... but things could change. I wonder what their presence is like at PPE?


Oct 22, 2015 at 02:03 PM
miguel_13
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Samsung exit?


rscheffler wrote:
I thought I read something recently refuting this... but things could change. I wonder what their presence is like at PPE?


I think basically the company is saying that they are stopping development and marketing of the current product line to re-think their strategies. I think they also placed the stills camera division under the wireless product division, so read into that what you will.



Oct 22, 2015 at 02:11 PM
LightShow
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Samsung exit?


There was a similar rumor a few weeks back, Samsung denied it.
http://photorumors.com/2015/09/18/is-samsung-shutting-down-their-camera-business/

http://photorumors.com/2015/09/26/samsung-denies-rumors-of-shutting-down-camera-business/
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2015/09/23/rumor-busted-samsung-is-not-exiting-the-camera-business-at-least-not-the-on
Samsung:
"Withdrawing from the camera business is not true and there is no official plan to stop production of cameras and lenses. Samsung continuously analyzes the varying needs and requirements of consumers in each market and region very carefully. However, we do not officially comment on rumors or speculation."

Imaging-Resource:
As is very often the case with such things, Samsung's official statement is carefully vague, but there may be a hint in there as to what's going on and the underlying cause of the rumors.

Notice the wording "cameras and lenses" in the statement. We wonder; might that be a particular reference to their interchangeable-lens NX line, as distinguished from their point & shoot models?

A decision to exit the point & shoot end of the market certainly wouldn't be any surprise: Apart from a few narrow niches (long-zoom, waterproof, and enthusiast pocket cameras like Sony's RX series and its competitors)


I honestly can't see them abandoning camera all together, not after finally gaining some traction with the NX1.



Oct 22, 2015 at 10:16 PM
Tariq Gibran
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Samsung exit?


This appears to be more than just a rumor this time around.

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/very-bad-news-samsung-will-really-kill-the-nx-camera-system/



Oct 22, 2015 at 10:23 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Samsung exit?


Jordan may visit Samsung at PPE tomorrow... It would be a shame. While I have not bought any of their products, I did try the NX1 and generally liked it. I was really hoping to see an NX50 with a similar form factor of the NX500 but with a built-in EVF in the traditional top left RF position...


Oct 22, 2015 at 10:32 PM
AlanD
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Samsung exit?


http://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsamsung/investor_relations/corporate_governance/corporatesocialresponsibility/downloads/2014sustainabilityreport.pdf

In 2013, Samsung Electronics carried out a partial structural realignment of the Mobile Communications Business Division. In order to enhance competitiveness of the camera business, the Digital Imaging Business Division was reorganized into the Imaging Business Team and integrated under the Mobile Communications Business Division. This move was aimed at providing differentiated products by combining capabilities and manufacturing competitiveness of the Mobile Communications Business Division, which ranked No. 1 globally in smartphones, with the added optical technology of the Imaging Business Division. Through the reorganization, the IM sector, which had previously consisted of four business divisions, has been reorganized into three...Show more

The merger of the optical technologies under mobile phones occurred last year, so I'm not sure where the rumors are coming from. It is worth noting that they stopped bragging about their market share in CSC (which was growing every year).



Oct 23, 2015 at 07:07 PM
uhoh7
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Samsung exit?


all they had to do was make a small M friendly EVIL body, and they would be famous heros.

Give it some nice open AF specs and let it grow.

That niche is wide open.



Oct 23, 2015 at 07:12 PM
LightShow
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Samsung exit?


Yup, not being M friendly really hurt their market penetration, it's one reason I never took one home.
Their tease of that retro styled camera annoyed me too.



Oct 23, 2015 at 07:41 PM
Spyro P.
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Samsung exit?


I think they did really well so far, but to be honest I dont know why they bothered in the first place.
I mean they are Samsung, they can build anything from cargo boats to spaceships, why waste resources in such a small, competitive and shrinking industry where they had no background?



Oct 23, 2015 at 07:46 PM
taran
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Samsung exit?


Spyro P. wrote:
I think they did really well so far, but to be honest I dont know why they bothered in the first place.
I mean they are Samsung, they can build anything from cargo boats to spaceships, why waste resources in such a small, competitive and shrinking industry where they had no background?


Hi, taran here, I will take that question.

National pride.

It boils down to whether Korea, as a nation, could make as complicated a technological widget as Japan.

After successes with phones, TV's, and automobiles, Korea, as a country, thought it would just walk over Japan when it came to cameras.

Japan, for the last 10 years, has had its ass roundly handed to them, by LG, Samsung, Hyundai et al.

Riding this wave, Samsung decided to cash in on Japans home turf, the digital camera.

Guess what? The whole country rallied to defeat them, even choosing to float Olympus, which may be a lost cause, in order to deal the finishing blow to Samsung.

It has been, for the last 5 years, the most capital intensive War any county has lost, that did not involve military forces.



Oct 24, 2015 at 01:29 AM
philber
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Samsung exit?


I am going to to be the realist here. This is good news, except for Samsung customers, of course. The industry suffers from massive overcapacity, so the retirement of one player will help every one else in the same segment: Canon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Ricoh, Nikon. If more companies fold or merge their camera activities, profits can return, and, in turn, R&D and investment.


Oct 24, 2015 at 02:23 AM
Spyro P.
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Samsung exit?


Taran I'll take your word, but I dont get it to be honest, it's far from my culture...

I mean back in Greece we're supposed to have a bit of a rivalry with the Turks, wars in the past etc. These days we might beat them in basketball, and there will be like 3 people in the streets waving flags and celebrating. In other words, nobody cares. To divert industrial capacity (if we had any) just to prove better than them sounds nuts.



Oct 24, 2015 at 05:28 AM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Samsung exit?


According to the Samsung rep at PPE, the report is false and they are "all-in" on the NX series. They certainly spent enough money. They had a recreation of the BTTF Delorean. They also said the NX1 sales exceeded their internal forecasts.


Oct 24, 2015 at 07:07 AM
Jonas B
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Samsung exit?


philber wrote:
I am going to to be the realist here. This is good news, except for Samsung customers, of course. The industry suffers from massive overcapacity, so the retirement of one player will help every one else in the same segment: Canon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Ricoh, Nikon. If more companies fold or merge their camera activities, profits can return, and, in turn, R&D and investment.


At this forum, as well as at other places, you can most often read "Competition is good". I suppose that in many cases is true but you seem to suggest it is good news having camera manufacturers closing down.
I'm not looking for a hard debate here. After having met and briefly discussed at least a little about economics and politics I'm interested in your opinion here, mainly to learn about different points of views. How many brands would you like to see erased for the cause of increasing the income for the remaining companies?



Oct 24, 2015 at 07:52 AM
rattymouse
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Samsung exit?


Jonas B wrote:
At this forum, as well as at other places, you can most often read "Competition is good". I suppose that in many cases is true but you seem to suggest it is good news having camera manufacturers closing down.
I'm not looking for a hard debate here. After having met and briefly discussed at least a little about economics and politics I'm interested in your opinion here, mainly to learn about different points of views. How many brands would you like to see erased for the cause of increasing the income for the remaining companies?


Samsung folding up their camera division is too small to matter. Fujifilm, Panasonic, or Olympus are the ones that will make a difference if they close down camera manufacturing.

Over productive is a Huge problem for the industry. Sales continue to fall and the bottom is still nowhere near in sight.



Oct 24, 2015 at 08:00 AM
Jonas B
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Samsung exit?


rattymouse wrote:
Samsung folding up their camera division is too small to matter. Fujifilm, Panasonic, or Olympus are the ones that will make a difference if they close down camera manufacturing.

Over productive is a Huge problem for the industry. Sales continue to fall and the bottom is still nowhere near in sight.


Hmm. I get the point. But then again, if Samsung doesn't matter it's a not really good news to see them closing (if that is happening). In that case competition may be good as they have proven to be both innovative and not a threat. Right?



Oct 24, 2015 at 08:13 AM
miguel_13
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Samsung exit?


Jman13 wrote:
According to the Samsung rep at PPE, the report is false and they are "all-in" on the NX series. They certainly spent enough money. They had a recreation of the BTTF Delorean. They also said the NX1 sales exceeded their internal forecasts.


That's interesting. Did you ask them about the reports from Euro-zone?
I'm certain they still have a lot of inventory in the U.S. and a move like this would be a severely hot-potato.

I was ready to give the NX1 a try, very interesting cameras.



Oct 24, 2015 at 10:55 AM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Samsung exit?


Yes. Either it hasn't filtered down to reps or the report may have been mistaken. Hard to say which.

miguel_13 wrote:
That's interesting. Did you ask them about the reports from Euro-zone?
I'm certain they still have a lot of inventory in the U.S. and a move like this would be a severely hot-potato.

I was ready to give the NX1 a try, very interesting cameras.




Oct 24, 2015 at 11:07 AM
1
       2       3              6       7       end




FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              6       7       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password