FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              36       37       end

Archive 2015 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

therealthings
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

What i don't like is that me and some others willingly took the assumption that the new camera works with all canon glass through an adapter (metabones in this case). We have seen several movies showing great AF performance with several EF lenses and we assumed that this would work with all lenses. No one ever said anything about canon glass performing poorly or not at all during these weeks of testing prior to the shipment to us, the consumer. If i knew that 50% of my lenses would perform poorly before the preorder, i might have waited a while longer. Call me naïve, but i think i'm not alone being surprised to find out about this incompatibility list.

Let's hope firmware updates can fix a lot of these issues.

Edited on Aug 08, 2015 at 08:33 AM · View previous versions

Aug 08, 2015 at 08:32 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Sigma does this with reverse engineering. Does not always work either. But I do agree with Steve for sure. Sony is not perfect by any stretch , I'm not a defender of them at all, it's really a matter of end user perspective. We seriously need a 135/200/15/18/21 and more lenses in place as Native glass. Folks I'm thrilled at my AF options with the Batis glass. I shot some kids singing in the park last night and I shot just about every combination. AFC/AFS with tracking, without and all kinds of stuff and man it was fun. To get me to say fun is a tall order.

Edited on Aug 08, 2015 at 08:40 AM · View previous versions

Aug 08, 2015 at 08:33 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

therealthings wrote:
What i don't like is that me and some others willingly took the assumption that the new camera works with all canon glass through an adapter (metabones in this case). We have seen several movies showing great AF performance with several EF lenses and we assumed that this would work with all lenses. No one ever said anything about canon glass performing poorly or not at all during these weeks of testing prior to the shipment to us, the consumer. If i knew that 50% of my lenses would perform poorly before the preorder, i might have waited a while
...Show more

I agree and that was my bitch in the second paragraph above was reviewers , bloggers and info we where looking for nothing I mean nothing was ever said for instance after 2006. I'll leave Brian Smith out of this since he wrote a pretty comprehensive article on it. Good for him and that's what I expect as a reviewer / tester myself.

Yes a lot of folks are caught blind sided and totally understand that part of it. My Sigma 24-70 does not work as well. It's useless to me with the LA-Ea 3 ,I have to buy back the 4. I sold my Minolta 200 because it was screw drive. Reason I really have decided to go as native as I can. I would think Canon shooters will do this in steps as they grow into the system.

Aug 08, 2015 at 08:39 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Side note I was up at 3 am shooting very long exposures up to 80 seconds and it looks good on screen, no laptop with me but I'll get that image and its raw up Sunday when I get home. I don't think that one report from China is accurate. It looks really good. We'll see and let the engineers dissect it.

Aug 08, 2015 at 08:42 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

GMPhotography wrote:
Side note I was up at 3 am shooting very long exposures up to 80 seconds and it looks good on screen, no laptop with me but I'll get that image and its raw up Sunday when I get home. I don't think that one report from China is accurate. It looks really good. We'll see and let the engineers dissect it.

Please share your work when you can. I have not seen any real-world material from any FM member since the preorders have been delivered (only on DPR). Aside from the hi-ISO bar shots you posted in reply to Chez. I'm driving home tomorrow and hopefully will be able to do some testing myself in 2 days.

Aug 08, 2015 at 08:48 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Been feeling bad for you since you and your camera are miles apart. Have fun with it.

I'll be loading a bunch of raws up for folks to play with

Aug 08, 2015 at 09:07 AM
Galione

p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Hey,
So yesterday I received my Sony a7rii and my metabones (mark iv, v0.41) and I've tried it with a couple of lenses that were on the tested list, and so far I get the image on the screen/viewfinder but I have no control over the lens whatsoever.
If I press the c3 button it tells me that's the lens may not be connected properly etc (not sure of the exact wording of error message in English as I live in Japan and have the Japanese version, so error message is in Japanese.)
Just wondered if I'm missing something like I was supposed to activate something in the camera menu etc, for now I can live without auto focus but not being able to control the iris renders the lenses useless.
Lenses I tried were the 24-105, the 135, and the 85. My business partner also received one at the same time and his is acting the same way. Even if they lenses aren't compatible for auto focus is there anyway to control the iris on them?
Thanks in advance
Jon

Aug 08, 2015 at 09:11 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

There is a button on the metabones adapter . You may have to engage that. Check there website

Aug 08, 2015 at 09:30 AM
technic
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

RustyBug wrote:
Good news ... it works well with some Canon glass
Bad news ... only one lens I own is on the works well list
Worse news ... four lenses I own / one I want are on the don't work well list
Even more good / worser news ... I can get only one of the lenses to work better by purchasing an additional adapter (more than one adapter for the same EF mount ... ugggh).

Same here, none of my lenses works with the Metabones IV and one lens that was on my buy list doesn't work (fully) either. I'm still a bit hopeful that some of the other adapters will work with my 2.8/200 and 4/300IS, as they seemed to work better than the Metabones adapter (with A7R, list from Brian Smith).

Disappointing after the initial upbeat stories about A7RII AF with Canon lenses (not meant as criticism towards Sony as you can't expect them to solve this kind of incompatibilities with third party lenses).

If this is what it is, for me it means that in addition to the expensive body I have to spend lots of money on lenses to get similar range with good AF - and often lenses that are not my first choice anyway because of weight or price. I guess I will upgrade to a Nikon D750 with a few lenses then, it is a cheaper and more sensible solution (they have every lens I need, less risk of unexpected issues later on). But I will sure keep an eye on Sony as they do a lot of things right lately.

Aug 08, 2015 at 09:46 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

+1 @ hopeful other adapters, but I think in the end it would need a "switchable" programming to work with the different lenses on either side of 2006 ... that or you're into multiple adapters.

Are there adapters for shooting Nikon F mount glass on the Sony E mount that work better than Canon EF glass on the E mount?

Since Sony already has a relationship with Nikon ... it might seem more plausible for Sony to make their own adapter in that camp. But, if SoNikon isn't going to play together THAT well, Sony/Canon would seem even less likely to do so.

Aug 08, 2015 at 10:36 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

There is no AF or electronic adapter for Nikon lenses on Sony cameras. The reason for this is likelyvtwo fold. Most Nikon lenses have a mechanical aperture linkage and the Nikon mount is less standardized than the Canon EOS mount. Some Nikon lenses have aperture rings, but not all, some have a built in AF motor and some have screw driver AF. Last there are E type Nikkors that have an all electronic aperture like Canon.

One question about Metabones mk IV: Has the firmware yet been optimized for the Sony A7R mk II?

Aug 08, 2015 at 11:04 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

bjornthun wrote:
One question about Metabones mk IV: Has the firmware yet been optimized for the Sony A7R mk II?

No. The last firmware is from 1 Jun 2015 which is before the camera was even announced. It is highly unlikely that Metabones had access to a beta sample of the a7rII before the last firmware was released.

Aug 08, 2015 at 11:08 AM
technic
• • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

bjornthun wrote:
There is no AF or electronic adapter for Nikon lenses on Sony cameras.

There isn't one yet, but an AF adapter for Sony E-mount has been announced, see
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-nikon-f-to-sony-e-mount-electronic-adapter-coming-soon/

Probably will have similar 'issues' as adapted Canon lenses on the A7RII, e.g. might work only with more recent Nikon lenses. The adapter looks bigger than the Metabones etc. but who knows, it is still early ;-)

Aug 08, 2015 at 11:33 AM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Does anyone have an informed clue as to whether updates from Metabones might improve the situation, or are these limitations solely due to Sony's protocols?

Aug 08, 2015 at 11:34 AM
mihind24
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

therealthings wrote:
What i don't like is that me and some others willingly took the assumption that the new camera works with all canon glass through an adapter (metabones in this case). We have seen several movies showing great AF performance with several EF lenses and we assumed that this would work with all lenses. No one ever said anything about canon glass performing poorly or not at all during these weeks of testing prior to the shipment to us, the consumer. If i knew that 50% of my lenses would perform poorly before the preorder, i might have waited a while
...Show more

I am in the same boat as you. I assumed that my Canon lenses would work well from what I had seen in different reviews/videos.

But really, I can't complain, or bitch, or whine, or even be upset. That's all on me. I made that mistake. First, I didn't do the necessary research. Second, even if I had, I should have been smart enough to realize that the tests/reviews/videos were not all conclusive, and that a few lenses working doesn't mean all would, especially when they're not native.

For me, I'm going through the evaluation stages. I love my Canon lenses. But I love the Sony camera. What do I gain more from? Having my better Canon lenses on a poorer Canon sensor, or worse native Sony lenses on a superior Sony sensor? Tough choices ahead, sadly. Wasn't prepared for this, but really, again, my fault for relying on reviews rather than my own logic and decision making.

Aug 08, 2015 at 01:40 PM
PikkerTaker
• •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

While we're on the topic of Canon lenses on Sony... I'm thinking of picking up a 70-200mm 2.8 II for my a7R II. What specific autofocus modes will be available to me using that lens using a Metabones IV?

Aug 08, 2015 at 01:48 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

My logic was, wait until people get their hands on the A7RII. Like many I saw the online videos and thought, wow, ok, well why would they be putting out this positive stuff if not, fairly true. And then there was one that says the Canon lens tested even focusses faster on the II than on the Canon body 5 series. I will have to find those reviews again, write down the names of the reviewers and make a note not to trust their lack of in depth review and misleading information.

Having said this, the sensor is spectacular and I have a nice body for my Leica M lenses, making them into an type of through the body lens, SLEVF. It does work well with my 24-70L II and the 11-24L. But I really wanted it to work with my 100-400L II but no dice. Well I have other bodies. It will all work out. Just bumps in the road.

Aug 08, 2015 at 01:53 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

This imaging PDAF and CDAF technology will take off whenever the extra CPUs to be implemented on board to handle smarter algorithm for sporty world. So far, the concept is working real well as we see by most video samples.

Aug 08, 2015 at 02:13 PM
PikkerTaker
• •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

PikkerTaker wrote:
While we're on the topic of Canon lenses on Sony... I'm thinking of picking up a 70-200mm 2.8 II for my a7R II. What specific autofocus modes will be available to me using that lens using a Metabones IV?

Anyone?

Aug 08, 2015 at 02:16 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

PikkerTaker wrote:
Anyone?

No tracking but the rest seem to work. Not as excellent as on the 5DIII.

Aug 08, 2015 at 02:19 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.