FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              31      
       33              36       37       end

Archive 2015 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Picture This!
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.32 #1 · p.32 #1 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Sorry if I missed this, but can someone comment on the Sony A7r II + Canon 200 f/2 IS combo please ?

Dec 31, 2015 at 01:59 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.32 #2 · p.32 #2 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Manu,
Andy reported that it works. To what extent, I am not sure.

ifxbonz wrote:
FYI: The 200 f2 works with MB lV.

Dec 31, 2015 at 02:13 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.32 #3 · p.32 #3 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Picture This! wrote:
Sorry if I missed this, but can someone comment on the Sony A7r II + Canon 200 f/2 IS combo please ?

It works well in normal to dim light but in darker situations, where I thought it would do well, it hunts some. It will lock but not as fast or as often as I would like and if in that situation I would use it on my 5DIII.

Dec 31, 2015 at 02:58 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.32 #4 · p.32 #4 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

If it works well in normal to sub optimal lighting, then I may get one. Appreciate the feedback, thanks.

Dec 31, 2015 at 03:20 PM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.32 #5 · p.32 #5 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Sigma 20mm f1.4 Art has no AF at all with my A7R II, via MB IV FW version 0.47.

Jan 03, 2016 at 04:58 PM
dankin
• •
p.32 #6 · p.32 #6 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

How dependable is the A7RII /MB IV combo? I'm intending to move from Canon to either a D810 or a A7RII soon. Just can't really decide between the 2. The main appeal to the A7RII is being able to use my existing Canon lens's instead of having to change the entire system at once.

Primary use will be landscapes. I work a lot with live view on a tripod with my 6D, so I would think the A7RII + MB would be at least as good if not better in that regard. If I do go the sony route I would eventually pickup some native primes for general walk around lens. I like the idea of being able to use some small primes for a light weight walk around camera, and at the same time be able to use my existing 16-35 and 70-200 for landscapes.

I'm going to rent an A7RII + MB IV next time I have a few days to get out and shoot.

Jan 06, 2016 at 02:44 PM
KiboOst
• • •
p.32 #7 · p.32 #7 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

You won't have any difficulty to get better IQ with your Canon lenses. But if you get primes, why not getting native ones to get better AF ? Depends on what you will shoot on lightweight setup.

Jan 06, 2016 at 03:55 PM
dankin
• •
p.32 #8 · p.32 #8 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

KiboOst wrote:
You won't have any difficulty to get better IQ with your Canon lenses. But if you get primes, why not getting native ones to get better AF ? Depends on what you will shoot on lightweight setup.

If I go with the A7RII, any lens I buy in the future will be native. But to start I would probably just adapt my existing lens's and gradually add some native primes.

Jan 06, 2016 at 04:12 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.32 #9 · p.32 #9 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

dankin, I have both the A7rII and D810.

Use canon lenses on the A7rII. If your use case is primarily landscapes, I would take the A7rII.

Plus there is something about the Nikon colors I don't like. Sure you can fix it in post, but it also means more time per file. The Sony colors are more to my liking out of the box.

Jan 06, 2016 at 11:23 PM
ifxbonz
• • • •
p.32 #10 · p.32 #10 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Picture This! wrote:

The combo 200 f2 / A7r ll works with MB IV. But I'm New to Sony and haven't done much shooting yet. But the 200 f2 does AF with normal indoors household lighting.

Andy

Jan 06, 2016 at 11:42 PM
dankin
• •
p.32 #11 · p.32 #11 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Picture This! wrote:
dankin, I have both the A7rII and D810.

Use canon lenses on the A7rII. If your use case is primarily landscapes, I would take the A7rII.

Plus there is something about the Nikon colors I don't like. Sure you can fix it in post, but it also means more time per file. The Sony colors are more to my liking out of the box.

Thanks for the info.

Jan 07, 2016 at 12:48 PM
pizdets17
• • • •
p.32 #12 · p.32 #12 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Sigma 150-600C EF mount doesn't work worth a damn. My contribution.

Jan 07, 2016 at 02:01 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.32 #13 · p.32 #13 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Has anyone tried the EF 400/5.6L with the latest firmware?

Jan 14, 2016 at 01:15 AM
gocolts
• • • •
p.32 #14 · p.32 #14 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Anyone have suggestions on where to buy the IV to ensure it has the latest firmware? Thought it'd be better to start with the latest as opposed to having to mess around with updating it.

I have a v3 which I used with the A7R, however now that I've gone to an A7RII I want my 135L to work better (it basically doesn't work with the v3). However, the 8-15L works surprisingly well with the A7RII & v3.

Jan 14, 2016 at 08:27 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.32 #15 · p.32 #15 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

There was a period when B&H included a Metabones IV adapter with the purchase of the A7r II for the same price. A lot folks bought the combo and sold the adapter here for whatever reasons to recoup some of the money. I am not sure whether they still have the program or not but if you check the B&S forum and there aren't any for sale, you can place a WTB post. The price should be somewhere between $300-$340.

But, just FYI, the firmware update process of Metabones adapter is extremely easy. I hesitated to do that first but after you have done it once, it is really painless. At the rate Metabones is updating the FW, you will be an expert in that before too long... .

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:22 AM
Ken_Cravillion
• • •
p.32 #16 · p.32 #16 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Eyvind Ness wrote:
Sigma 20mm f1.4 Art has no AF at all with my A7R II, via MB IV FW version 0.47.

I just rented the A7SII with Metabones adapter (FW 0.47) and tried my Sigma 20mm f1.4 Art and it works perfectly fine.

Jan 14, 2016 at 03:03 PM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.32 #17 · p.32 #17 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Ken_Cravillion wrote:
I just rented the A7SII with Metabones adapter (FW 0.47) and tried my Sigma 20mm f1.4 Art and it works perfectly fine.

How interesting. What AF mode were you in? And was it one shot, AF-S, or continuous, AF-C? I would really like to make this combo work. Thanks for your update!

Jan 14, 2016 at 04:07 PM
Ken_Cravillion
• • •
p.32 #18 · p.32 #18 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Eyvind Ness wrote:
How interesting. What AF mode were you in? And was it one shot, AF-S, or continuous, AF-C? I would really like to make this combo work. Thanks for your update!

I was using it in AF-S.

Jan 14, 2016 at 04:27 PM
jonrock
• • •
p.32 #19 · p.32 #19 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Hi guys, I just got a Sony A7 II and a Metabones IV T adapter. The camera has been updated to version 2.0 and the adapter has been updated to .47. For some reason, my Canon EF 100mm f2.0 lens isn't working. Does anybody have an idea what might be wrong? Thanks

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:43 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.32 #20 · p.32 #20 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

jonrock wrote:
Hi guys, I just got a Sony A7 II and a Metabones IV T adapter. The camera has been updated to version 2.0 and the adapter has been updated to .47. For some reason, my Canon EF 100mm f2.0 lens isn't working. Does anybody have an idea what might be wrong? Thanks

I do have that lens and I can assure you that it works really well on my A7r II. First, I don't think the difference between A7 and A7r II matters much, if any. I don't think anybody here knows the answer why the lens doesn't work on your combo, but have you tested/tried other Canon lenses on your camera/adapter combo and they work OK? Plus, have you tried that lens on another body, maybe a Canon body to find out that it works?

Well, those are obvious questions obviously but since you didn't mention that in your post, I thought I asked. Another possibility, would be the connection between the adapter and lens is not established. Metabones adapters, especially brand new ones tend to create seemingly excessive friction when you mount the lens on it. Just make sure that the lens sits properly and that it clicks in place.

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:00 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.