1       2       3      
       5              36       37       end

Archive 2015 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

stevei wrote:

I'm quite confused by the Metabones IV firmware. I bought mine a few days ago direct from Metabones in Hong Kong, the T version, and it arrived with 0.41, which is the latest version listed in the change history on the website, BUT the app offered an update to 4.20, which I applied. It now shows that it has 4.20:
http://www.cloudedforest.com/sharedfiles/mbfirmware420.png

I don't actually have a camera to use the adapter with to know if it still works, but I haven't seen anyone else mention having this firmware, and I don't understand why everyone else is talking about 0.41 being the latest
...Show more

It is very odd indeed going from 0.41 to 4.20!! Not sure. Did you contact them about this?

Now, the variation seems big on your measurements. What precision is the micrometer you used? I used a 0.001mm precision one.

I don't know what is an acceptable variation and at what point the non-pararellism affects sharpness across the frame though. You should be able to see it with ultra wide angles.

Aug 07, 2015 at 06:59 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

BTW: I just downloaded the firmware app (MAC) and the screen looks just like yours but instead of v4.20, it reads "v0.41".

Aug 07, 2015 at 07:08 PM
akclimber
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

markmahaney wrote:
Has anyone tried the new A7R II with the Commlite adapter. Many people found this to be better on the previous Sony bodies than the Metabones adapter. It's also a quarter of the cost. Anyone
Also.....not that they're AF, but I was hoping to use the new A7R II with my Canon 24mm TSE (tilt shift) and a Schneider 50mm (tilt/shift Canon mount). Anyone try either or these out yet? Curious about vignetting and resolution with the larger sensor.

If my A7R2 arrives as promised tomorrow, I'll check the Commlite adapter with at least the Canon 70-200 f/4 IS and old 300 f/4 IS and 1st gen 500 f/4 IS and 1st gen 100-400. I'll also check with the 17 and 24 TSEs.

Aug 07, 2015 at 07:15 PM
stevei
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Fred Miranda wrote:
BTW: I just downloaded the firmware app (MAC) and the screen looks just like yours but instead of v4.20, it reads "v0.41".

Yes, that is what mine showed when I received the adapter, but it mentioned a newer firmware was available, and said to hold the button on the adapter while connecting to be able to update the firmware. If I do that now, it still shows the option to update to 4.20, and it will apply it again if I press the Update button:
http://www.cloudedforest.com/sharedfiles/mbfirmware420u.png

I'm using the Windows version of the app.

Aug 07, 2015 at 07:21 PM
stevei
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Fred Miranda wrote:
Now, the variation seems big on your measurements. What precision is the micrometer you used? I used a 0.0001 precision one

The one I used was 0.01mm precision. I noticed it only applied a very light force before clicking, and could then be slid off, so maybe it just wasn't clamping tight enough to give consistent results.

Aug 07, 2015 at 07:25 PM
tonyeckersley

p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS I, Metabones IV (latest firmware) - AF sometimes works, but it's VERY hit or miss. Wouldn't rely on it at all.

Aug 07, 2015 at 07:26 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

stevei wrote:

Yes, that is what mine showed when I received the adapter, but it mentioned a newer firmware was available, and said to hold the button on the adapter while connecting to be able to update the firmware. If I do that now, it still shows the option to update to 4.20, and it will apply it again if I press the Update button:
http://www.cloudedforest.com/sharedfiles/mbfirmware420u.png

I'm using the Windows version of the app.

The button on the adapter, the black round one?

Aug 07, 2015 at 07:34 PM
josha
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Thanks to the good folks at Borrow Lenses San Carlos, I was able to try a few things. All of these were in ideal light conditions: sunny, clear sky, outside, and around 4pm in the summer.

The Canon 500mm f/4 IS II worked pretty well with flexible spot and wide AF. I don't think it acquired the initial focus as fast as a Canon body, but it seemed to track well. It also worked with the Canon 1.4x TC (slightly slower).

I also tried a Sony A-mount 70-400 & 500 with the EA4 adaptor, and they worked perfectly. Lock on AF was available, and I rented the 70-400 to try more this weekend. The Sony 500 + Sony 1.4x TC didn't work at all: the camera didn't show an aperture value for the lens and only offered manual focus. We checked all the connections.

If anyone has experience with Sony, I'd love your AF input. I'm used to setting AI Servo + a continuous drive on my Canons, holding down the back focus button, and it will continue to focus while shooting. With both the Canon and Sony 500s, it would track a subject as it moved towards me (cars on the street), but as soon as I started shooting, it seemed to stop autofocusing even though I had the rear AF-ON button pressed. I feel like that's a setting thing but don't know how Sony's AF is supposed to work.

Aug 07, 2015 at 07:37 PM
stevei
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

jamato8 wrote:
The button on the adapter, the black round one?

Yes

Aug 07, 2015 at 07:50 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

stevei wrote:
The one I used was 0.01mm precision. I noticed it only applied a very light force before clicking, and could then be slid off, so maybe it just wasn't clamping tight enough to give consistent results.

The precision of mine is actually 0.001mm or 0.00005".
Yes, you have to turn it a little harder without applying excessive force. The important is being consistent when measuring the quadrant.

I would contact them about the 4.20 firmware. I don't see that option on the Mac version of the app.

Aug 07, 2015 at 08:11 PM
Chris_88
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

josha wrote:
I also tried a Sony A-mount 70-400 & 500 with the EA4 adaptor, and they worked perfectly. Lock on AF was available, and I rented the 70-400 to try more this weekend. The Sony 500 + Sony 1.4x TC didn't work at all: the camera didn't show an aperture value for the lens and only offered manual focus. We checked all the connections.

If anyone has experience with Sony, I'd love your AF input. I'm used to setting AI Servo + a continuous drive on my Canons, holding down the back focus button, and it will continue to focus while shooting.
...Show more

Thanks for sharing your impressions. What you saw with the TC and the Sony 500G is not a defect: Unfortunately, the LA-EA4 adapter and the a-mount TC's won't AF under any circumstances (regardless the lens).

I'd be interested to know how the longer the G SSM lenses perform with the LA-EA3. Has any of the few fellow a-mount users around here had the chance to try their 70-400G or G primes with the LA-EA3?

Aug 07, 2015 at 08:32 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

josha wrote:
Thanks to the good folks at Borrow Lenses San Carlos, I was able to try a few things. All of these were in ideal light conditions: sunny, clear sky, outside, and around 4pm in the summer.

The Canon 500mm f/4 IS II worked pretty well with flexible spot and wide AF. I don't think it acquired the initial focus as fast as a Canon body, but it seemed to track well. It also worked with the Canon 1.4x TC (slightly slower).

I also tried a Sony A-mount 70-400 & 500 with the EA4 adaptor, and they worked perfectly. Lock on AF was
...Show more

With A mount, no problem with the 500 or Minolta 600 and the 1.4...can't help you with this new beast. My la2 works the 500, no problem, never have tried it with 1.4 though (nex 7).

Aug 07, 2015 at 08:32 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Fred Miranda wrote:
Canon shooters with the trinity set should be happy about this. They are all excellent zooms:

Canon EF 16-35 f/4L IS
Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II
Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II

That's exactly what I have with me in Utah, at the moment. Plus two 6D and a 2x III.

(...and an X100S)

Aug 07, 2015 at 10:16 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Thanks Fred.

That's a quadrupled-edged sword for me.

Good news ... it works well with some Canon glass
Bad news ... only one lens I own is on the works well list
Worse news ... four lenses I own / one I want are on the don't work well list
Even more good / worser news ... I can get only one of the lenses to work better by purchasing an additional adapter (more than one adapter for the same EF mount ... ugggh).

Aug 07, 2015 at 10:22 PM
johnvanr
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

jamato8 wrote:
At 3200 dollars I would imagine some thought there would be a lot of meat put into he camera to justify the cost.

Agreed. I'm wondering about all the excitement. It feels pretty much that Sony again produced an amazing sensor, but still lags behind other brands on the practical usability of the camera they put around it. It's just less than with the A7R.

That'd be fine if the price premium wasn't so high.

In any case, I never pre-ordered but I have a rental coming my way soon.

Aug 08, 2015 at 02:40 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Sorry have to disagree. I said this 20 times and it still does not compute. Let me ask a question. Who does Canon , Nikon build for. There own glass. Why in the world would you think Sony is building a camera for Canon glass, Leica glass and Nikon glass. They build Sony lenses they want you to buy them and they are putting every effort into giving you a full set of AF options for THERE lenses. They happened to build a body with a AF system with 3rd party adapters that they can get Canon, Leica and Nikon uses to market to for them to switch. That's a side benefit to there marketing. They have no desire to support any of these 3rd party lenses directly. What they can do is help the 3rd party adapters to make them more functional. It's up to Metabones to do that not Sony. This is all about getting a bonus package scenerio. You get some extra perks, why in the world do you thing as a Canon user and your lenses are not functional because of adapters that won't work, you blame Sony for it.

Seriously forget yourself here think about this as a industry and no one builds functionality for a competitive brand. i honestly can't understand folks logic here. This is a business with restrictions and limitations. Sony is after market share let's be very clear about that. If they can steal Canon users it's huge for them.but it's up to you do your homework on what works and what does not but your really waiting on the 3Rd party adapters notSony for the support. No one looks at them and they are the key to adapting your glass not Sony not Canon.

Now my bitch is more about reporting what works and what does not some did a good job but a lot ignored telling us any of the pitfalls at the moment with support. To me that's wrong and as a reviewer and tester myself it pisses me off because it makes us look bad.

That's my opinion. It's tiring to keep hearing Sony get beat up here when Im having a blast with the native glass, it's amazing my options. You want at least most of those options look at the adapters getting updates. That's the only way your going to get functionality. Not everything will work either these AF motors need to be the newest tech to do it in the first place. I can't use my Minolta 200 screw drive the way I can use my Batis 85. That's just a age thing

Aug 08, 2015 at 06:11 AM
Atlasman2
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

GMPhotography wrote:
Sorry have to disagree. I said this 20 times and it still does not compute. Let me ask a question. Who does Canon , Nikon build for. There own glass. Why in the world would you think Sony is building a camera for Canon glass, Leica glass and Nikon glass. They build Sony lenses they want you to buy them and they are putting every effort into giving you a full set of AF options for THERE lenses. They happened to build a body with a AF system with 3rd party adapters that they can get Canon, Leica and Nikon
...Show more

If I were Sony, I would do everything in my power to put the A7RII in the hands of the Canon shooter. I would lend support to all the makers of adapters and help them deliver high quality, usable product. Once they (the Canon shooter) have the camera, then entice these Canon users to nibble at new native glass—one lens at a time.

Aug 08, 2015 at 06:44 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

I agree. Sony can throw support at the adapter companies and heck even invest in them because that is the key to get more market share from Canon users. They are a huge asset to there revenue stream. It's almost like free money.

Aug 08, 2015 at 07:01 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

Atlasman2 wrote:
If I were Sony, I would do everything in my power to put the A7RII in the hands of the Canon shooter. I would lend support to all the makers of adapters and help them deliver high quality, usable product. Once they (the Canon shooter) have the camera, then entice these Canon users to nibble at new native glass—one lens at a time.

Or make/purchase their own Canon adapter that works even better?

Aug 08, 2015 at 07:48 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · A7RII and Canon lenses AF compatibility

dgdg wrote:
Or make/purchase their own Canon adapter that works even better?

To me that wouldn't make sense. Instead they should put those resources into making more native glass. One huge problem with Sony themselves making a Canon adapter is that Canon's AF system isn't open. They would have to pay a competitor (Canon) for every adapter they sold. Second, from a marketing standpoint it looks awful. They would be in effect endorsing a competitor for the lenses they are building. I just don't see how it makes sense.

Aug 08, 2015 at 08:18 AM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password