Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · A6000 V2 Firmware Upgrade creates a Brick!

swldstn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A6000 V2 Firmware Upgrade creates a Brick!

Well I always said Sony's approach to firmware upgrades was weak and problematic.

I just tried to upgrade my firmware from 1.2 to 2.0 and got 90% the process when it aborted and now I'm the proud owner of an brick. I removed the battery as suggested but once I place it back in I get NOTHING except a RED LED on the bottom lights up no matter if the camera is ON or OFF.

Is there anything to do?

If I need to send it to Sony I probably will cancel my pre-order for the A7RII and sell all my Sony gear because this is just not acceptable.

Had problems with previous firmware upgrades on my A7, A7R, and A7RII but was able to recover after an aborted upgrade but I don't know how to solve this problem.

Any ideas?

Jun 17, 2015 at 10:45 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A6000 V2 Firmware Upgrade creates a Brick!

There is another thread here where someone reported the same problem with the A7R.

I read on another forum that others retried the firmware update and were successful. Let us know if that work for you.

Good luck!

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:35 PM
CronoDL
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A6000 V2 Firmware Upgrade creates a Brick!

I haven't tried updating to the new firmware yet, but I had encountered the same issue the last time I ran an update. All I did was plug it back in and run the update, even though it was seemingly bricked. The update finished and everything was fine.

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:36 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A6000 V2 Firmware Upgrade creates a Brick!

swldstn wrote:
Well I always said Sony's approach to firmware upgrades was weak and problematic.

I just tried to upgrade my firmware from 1.2 to 2.0 and got 90% the process when it aborted and now I'm the proud owner of an brick. I removed the battery as suggested but once I place it back in I get NOTHING except a RED LED on the bottom lights up no matter if the camera is ON or OFF.

Is there anything to do?

If I need to send it to Sony I probably will cancel my pre-order for the A7RII and sell all my Sony gear
...Show more

I also had issues but not as bad as yours. For me even though the update software initially detected and recognized my A6000, it eventually gave up when it was time to actually install the update and complained it could not connect. At that point I got the same Red LED on the bottom which would not go away if I turn the camera on/off. However in my case when I took the battery out and put it back again my camera came back to life.

Overall I had to try the process 3,4 times to make it work. First I tried on my Macbook pro where it got the same red led problem. Then I tried on my windows 8.1 machine and again the same issue. On my second attempt on windows it complained that I didn't have enough charge (The camera showed 48%). Then I charged the camera to about 75% and then tried again and then it went through in one or two attempts.

I hope your camera comes back to life! Sony should definitely make its update process more fool proof.

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:52 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A6000 V2 Firmware Upgrade creates a Brick!

Always Sony states to have fully charged battery...not Sony's fault that directions aren't followed.

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:57 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A6000 V2 Firmware Upgrade creates a Brick!

mogul wrote:
Always Sony states to have fully charged battery...not Sony's fault that directions aren't followed.

1. When the software turns on and gives instructions, it doesn't mention anything about the battery
2. When it detected the battery was at 48% it told me so and asked to charge which is perfectly reasonable. What is not reasonable is to start the process without any complaint and then give up mid-way semi-bricking the camera
3. It was only in my case that the battery was not fully charged. There is no evidence that it was the case for OP and others. Even in my case even after I charged the battery it still took a couple of attempts before it finally worked. The reason I tried multiple times was because I found threads where people mentioned they had to try it a few times before it worked. So it certainly seems a broader and more general issue.

Jun 18, 2015 at 01:09 PM
WayneTk
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A6000 V2 Firmware Upgrade creates a Brick!

CronoDL wrote:
I haven't tried updating to the new firmware yet, but I had encountered the same issue the last time I ran an update. All I did was plug it back in and run the update, even though it was seemingly bricked. The update finished and everything was fine.

This did happen to me on the A6000 with the 2.0 firmware and, as CronoDL said, all I did was take the battery out, put it back in, and start the update on the computer over again. Worked no problem second time around.

Jun 18, 2015 at 08:31 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A6000 V2 Firmware Upgrade creates a Brick!

swldstn wrote:

Is there anything to do?

I'm the one in the other thread that had an issue with my A7R update.
It failed at the same point in the process - about 90% done. The dreaded red light wouldn't turn off for me as well.
I thought that I "bricked" my camera as well, but I finally got it to work.

My procedure to fix:
1) unplug the the USB cable
2) turn off the camera
3) take out the battery
4) fully charge the battery (I don't think this makes any difference since the USB cable should provide the charge, but better safe than sorry)
5) re-install the battery (the red battery light will probably go on and not turn off, but ignore that)
6) restart the update software. This is the important part - if you don't restart the software then your computer won't recognize the camera when you plug in the USB cable.
7) start your camera
8) plug in the USB cable
9) the software should now recognize your camera and the camera should be available for the update.

Let me know how it went because I can probably walk you through step 9 better, but I don't remember exactly what the camera/computer shows during this part.

Good luck!

Jun 18, 2015 at 08:45 PM
swldstn
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A6000 V2 Firmware Upgrade creates a Brick!

Finally got it to work after three tries and 40 minutes. Had to basically keep trying to restart the firmware upgrade process even thought the camera itself was completely unresponsive with no display.

Apparently it can be restarted even though you can't repeat some of the steps

I found no documentation on what to do in the case of an aborted attempt but retrying it appears to work.
It went through after three retries.

I went back and reconfigured my laptop's sleep functions to never shutdown anything even though I was keeping it awake manually during this process. That might have helped in some way.

Appreciate everyones help here and on dpreview.com

Thanks

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:34 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.