1       2       3              5      
       7       end

Archive 2015 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
4 years? I thought the 5D Mark III was released in 2012.

Camera years are like dog years...

Jul 08, 2015 at 09:31 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Just received the RRS L-brackets for EOS 5DS. The difference in weight is easily felt. I weighed both the new ones and the 5D Mark III L-bracket.

L-bracket for 5DS: 0.392 lbs (0.412 lbs, with hex key inserted)
L-bracket for 5DIII: 0.228 lbs

I think I am going to return these and go with the Kirk brackets. Shame on RRS.

Jul 08, 2015 at 08:19 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

I'm perplexed. My RRS bracket is supposedly close to shipping. I'm not happy with the heavier and more complex design, but I like the RSS gear I have. I think I'm going to go ahead and let them ship it, and I'll see what I think when it arrives.

Dan

Jul 08, 2015 at 08:39 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

more weight == better dampening in high winds

its a feature. get over it

Jul 16, 2015 at 04:51 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

gdanmitchell wrote:
I think I'm going to go ahead and let them ship it, and I'll see what I think when it arrives.

Dan

thats so kind of you to let them ship it Dan.

Jul 16, 2015 at 05:00 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Received it. Used it for the past four days. Solid, functional, drama-free. I'm keeping it.

Jul 16, 2015 at 05:09 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Im ok with the Weight and the Complexity but the big turn off to me is and will always be the incompatibility with the superior Manfrotto quick release system. comon RRS! get on that!

Jul 16, 2015 at 07:44 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

beauport wrote:
Good to hear this. I ordered a new plate for the 5DSr from RRS and the pre-order price was $140. Last week I got an email from them I'll copy in below.
Thanks so much for your pre-order for our B5DS-L L-plate for the new Canon EOS-5DS & -5DSR cameras. Due to a design change that we had not anticipated initially, the price for the L-plate has increased by $45. The new price for the L-plate is $185 instead of $140. We think you'll really like the changes:
• Plate is a modular two-piece design: a base plate and a separate L-component.
• Modular
...Show more

$45 is a bargain, really. These two piece designs cost WAY more to manufacture. Price really should've gone up more like $85. I'm guessing they're selling this one at a lower margin than usual because they had so many people that'd already ordered and they knew a price increase would dissatisfy them.

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Shame on RRS.

Hyperbole much?

Not everyone is obsessed with weight reduction, especially with a camera this big (and the lenses that'll be good enough for its sensor also being big). I'm sure there are people happy to trade the extra weight for more functionality.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:19 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

I don't see it as more functionality. I always use an L-plate and have no use for two separate pieces. As far as selling at margin Seriously?? There plates probably have at least a 60% GM rate.

stanj wrote:
It's the 5D3 RRS L-plate, fits perfectly.

beauport wrote:
Good to hear this. I ordered a new plate for the 5DSr from RRS and the pre-order price was $140. Last week I got an email from them I'll copy in below.
Thanks so much for your pre-order for our B5DS-L L-plate for the new Canon EOS-5DS & -5DSR cameras. Due to a design change that we had not anticipated initially, the price for the L-plate has increased by $45. The new price for the L-plate is $185 instead of $140. We think you'll really like the changes:
• Plate is a modular two-piece design: a base plate and a separate L-component.
• Modular
...Show more
Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Shame on RRS.

Lee Saxon wrote:
$45 is a bargain, really. These two piece designs cost WAY more to manufacture. Price really should've gone up more like $85. I'm guessing they're selling this one at a lower margin than usual because they had so many people that'd already ordered and they knew a price increase would dissatisfy them.
Hyperbole much?

Not everyone is obsessed with weight reduction, especially with a camera this big (and the lenses that'll be good enough for its sensor also being big). I'm sure there are people happy to trade the extra weight for more functionality.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:33 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

khurram1 wrote:
I don't see it as more functionality. I always use an L-plate and have no use for two separate pieces.

As I wrote, I did get the RRS plate and I'm using it. That said, I agree that the old plates were plenty rigid (as I'm sure RRS would still tell you the 5DIII, 5DII, and other similar plates are!) and that the benefit of the two-piece plate is quite limited, mostly to folks who want to shoot in portrait orientation while a bunch of wires are attached to the camera. (Yes, the adjustable plate does make that more easily possible.)

Do most of us need or benefit from the two-piece plate? No.

Dan

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:54 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

So how much is the replacement part either the body plate or the L plate...cuz you are going to loose 1 of them sooner or later

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:57 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

khurram1 wrote:
I don't see it as more functionality. I always use an L-plate and have no use for two separate pieces. As far as selling at margin Seriously?? There plates probably have at least a 60% GM rate.

Right, but as I was saying in response to the weight issue, it IS more functional for some people. It's not that you sometimes don't want the L portion at all, it's that in standard position it's tougher to connect cables, especially in portrait orientation.

And I didn't say they were selling it "at margin," I said that whatever the margin is it's probably lower than it normally would be because they had to change customers' orders. Both pieces for a part like this cost almost as much to make as the one for the regular L-plates, so in theory it should cost nearly twice as much. 60% is probably a reasonable guess.

Jul 17, 2015 at 01:12 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Sunny Sra wrote:
So how much is the replacement part either the body plate or the L plate...cuz you are going to loose 1 of them sooner or later

The way I use it, that isn't an issue. I leave the whole thing assembled and permanently attached.

(On the other hand I expect that lots of people are going to use the little hex wrench that fits into the base plate holder and is retained magnetically...)

Dan

Jul 17, 2015 at 01:16 PM
mstrickland
• •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Sunny Sra wrote:

Seriously?

Jul 17, 2015 at 01:50 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

The Kirk L plate can be adjusted to give more space to connect cables in the portrait orientation.

Jul 17, 2015 at 02:46 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Sunny Sra wrote:

How much does it cost to replace a body or a lens...cuz you are going to loose 1 of them sooner or later

Jul 17, 2015 at 02:55 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

killersnowman wrote:
How much does it cost to replace a body or a lens...cuz you are going to loose 1 of them sooner or later

You should know..you bought the body or the lens right? My question is relevant if you loose 1 part, how much does it cost? It's not posted on their website, so its relevant for the owners of the plates to find out... if you don't know...leave it alone then...

Edited on Jul 17, 2015 at 03:27 PM · View previous versions

Jul 17, 2015 at 03:24 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

mstrickland wrote:
Seriously?

You're the only person who has never lost anything if you don't think this is serious.

Promedia gear has been making the detachable L plates for a while, i have one, i moved the bottom plate to different bag...couldn't find it...so yes, seriously.

Jul 17, 2015 at 03:25 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

So it'll cost $110 for the L portion and $75 for the bottom.

Jul 17, 2015 at 03:35 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Lee Saxon wrote:
And I didn't say they were selling it "at margin," I said that whatever the margin is it's probably lower than it normally would be because they had to change customers' orders. Both pieces for a part like this cost almost as much to make as the one for the regular L-plates, so in theory it should cost nearly twice as much. 60% is probably a reasonable guess.

If you managed or owned a technical manufacturing company or were involved with 3D modeling design, CNC machining, metals and anodizing finishing, you would know that your guess of 60% is so far out in left field.

Jul 17, 2015 at 05:08 PM
       7       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.