Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       6       7       end
  

Archive 2015 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

  
 
Jeff
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R


I'm having trouble understanding how RRS sees a problem with fit, and yet Canon deems the interface of the same battery grip to be fine on both the III and the Ds/R; it's essentially the same mounting area.

For what it's worth, my Kirk (non-L) base plate fits perfectly on the 5Ds. I think I'll go with Kirk for the L-bracket, as well...



Jun 29, 2015 at 11:44 PM
dmcphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R


Jeff Fenske wrote:
...
Few photographers want to carry on their back or hold in their hand extra, unnecessary ounces that serve no purpose.
...


I think that line says it all. IMO, except in rare and specialized circumstances modular L-plates are a solution in search of a problem.

In a situation where a camera that is used on a variety of lenses, many of which do not have tripod mounts, and you never know what lens will be used next, the plate would never be taken apart. It is pointless to have a 2-part plate that is heavier and costs more when it will always be assembled as 1-piece.

The RRS paper catalog says they "have three aims with this approach".
1. "Offer the photographer greater flexibility". It does, but the extra flexibility is seldom if ever needed.
2. "Offer a less expensive L-plate." Unfortunately the modular plates are more expensive, not less. In fact the modular plates are within $15 of the cost of a conventional L-plate plus a conventional flat plate combined.
3. "Make the jump from conventional plate to L-plate easier on the customer". $15 easier, with more weight on the camera at any given time to make up for it.

I actually love RRS equipment, but this modular L-plate approach, especially on a cameras like the 5DS models, holds no positives and some negatives for me. I cancelled my pre-order about 2 weeks ago and planned to buy the RRS 5D3 L-plate, but they say it does not fit the 5DS, so Kirk is essentially the only other option.



Jun 30, 2015 at 08:07 AM
stanj
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R


Jeff wrote:
I'm having trouble understanding how RRS sees a problem with fit, and yet Canon deems the interface of the same battery grip to be fine on both the III and the Ds/R; it's essentially the same mounting area.

For what it's worth, my Kirk (non-L) base plate fits perfectly on the 5Ds. I think I'll go with Kirk for the L-bracket, as well...


Jeffrey can probably explain...



Jun 30, 2015 at 09:04 AM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R


This is kind of where I am at the moment, too. I love RRS products, own and have owned a number of them and plan to purchase more in the future. I'm unpersuaded by the supposed "advantages" of the new design the increased size and bulk are negatives for me, the flexibility is totally unimportant, I have concerns about something that is modular when the previous non-modular RRS products worked so beautifully.

(I'm not happy about the small price increase, but that is not a deal-breaker in and of itself I've resigned myself to the higher costs of RRS gear.)

My order is still in place, but I'm considering canceling it and moving to the Kirk unit, which looks to be designed much like the older RRS units which worked so perfectly for me on my 5D and 5DII.

Dan


dmcphoto wrote:
I think that line says it all. IMO, except in rare and specialized circumstances modular L-plates are a solution in search of a problem.

In a situation where a camera that is used on a variety of lenses, many of which do not have tripod mounts, and you never know what lens will be used next, the plate would never be taken apart. It is pointless to have a 2-part plate that is heavier and costs more when it will always be assembled as 1-piece.

The RRS paper catalog says they "have three aims with this approach".
1. "Offer the photographer
...Show more



Jun 30, 2015 at 09:56 AM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R


Jeff wrote:
I'm having trouble understanding how RRS sees a problem with fit, and yet Canon deems the interface of the same battery grip to be fine on both the III and the Ds/R; it's essentially the same mounting area.



That would imply that the RRS L-bracket didn't fit the 5D Mark III properly, either...



Jun 30, 2015 at 10:24 AM
dmcphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R


I don't care much about the cost either. In fact even if the cost of the RRS modular plate was less, I'd pay more to get their conventional 1-piece L-plate.

I only brought up cost because RRS uses lower cost as 2 of three reasons for the modular design. That makes no sense at all because it costs more. I'm all for simple, elegant, and well made designs and against added complexity, weight, and cost when it serves no purpose. I'm also a believer in the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

gdanmitchell wrote:
This is kind of where I am at the moment, too. I love RRS products, own and have owned a number of them and plan to purchase more in the future. I'm unpersuaded by the supposed "advantages" of the new design the increased size and bulk are negatives for me, the flexibility is totally unimportant, I have concerns about something that is modular when the previous non-modular RRS products worked so beautifully.

(I'm not happy about the small price increase, but that is not a deal-breaker in and of itself I've resigned myself to the higher costs of
...Show more



Jun 30, 2015 at 10:33 AM
Paul Gardner
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R


Hi guys: My 5DS R arrived this afternoon and the battery is charging. I'm planning to head to Santa Cruz, Ca. tomorrow and give it its first workout. I put the 1DS3 back in its box and retired it. I had forgotten how heavy it was until I held one in each hand.
Maybe Thursday I'll head for Point Lobos with the 28-300L and see how that works.
Regards
Paul



Jun 30, 2015 at 07:52 PM
Jeff
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R



Jeff wrote:
I'm having trouble understanding how RRS sees a problem with fit, and yet Canon deems the interface of the same battery grip to be fine on both the III and the Ds/R; it's essentially the same mounting area.



molson wrote:
That would imply that the RRS L-bracket didn't fit the 5D Mark III properly, either...


I personally didn't like the way RRS designed their plates for the 5D MkIII, either. The angled edge which essentially serves to lever the edge of the case against the back (or front, can't remember) seems like a hokey implementation if you ask me ; they said at the time they couldn't match the curvature well enough, and it was the best solution. I sold it unused and bought the Kirk, which was designed the way it seems these things are supposed to be.

Any of you with the RRS 5D MkIII plate(s) notice significant rubbing or marking from that beveled area after removing it after years of use? Mostly curious, wouldn't have cared much if it did get marked up due to what a workhorse the MkIII has become for me...



Jul 01, 2015 at 01:15 AM
stanj
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R


Jeff wrote:
Any of you with the RRS 5D MkIII plate(s) notice significant rubbing or marking from that beveled area after removing it after years of use? Mostly curious, wouldn't have cared much if it did get marked up due to what a workhorse the MkIII has become for me...


Nope, not at all. Four years (time flies, a lot has changed since...) of heavy use, no rubbing at all.



Jul 01, 2015 at 11:26 AM
hassy99
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R


I compared my 1ds mkiii and what a huge difference in build and weight. The 1d series were built like a tank but prefer not paying $8,000 for a body anymore

Paul Gardner wrote:
Hi guys: My 5DS R arrived this afternoon and the battery is charging. I'm planning to head to Santa Cruz, Ca. tomorrow and give it its first workout. I put the 1DS3 back in its box and retired it. I had forgotten how heavy it was until I held one in each hand.
Maybe Thursday I'll head for Point Lobos with the 28-300L and see how that works.
Regards
Paul




Jul 01, 2015 at 11:30 AM
Rajan Parrikar
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R


stanj wrote:
Nope, not at all. Four years (time flies, a lot has changed since...) of heavy use, no rubbing at all.


4 years? I thought the 5D Mark III was released in 2012.



Jul 01, 2015 at 02:20 PM
stanj
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R


Rajan Parrikar wrote:
4 years? I thought the 5D Mark III was released in 2012.


Yeah my bad. Things were still different then



Jul 01, 2015 at 05:36 PM
John Wolff
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R


RRS is building a separate plate and L-bracket combo for the 5Ds/r. They claim it is different than the 5D3. It is available for pre-order.


Jul 04, 2015 at 10:29 AM
dmcphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R


John Wolff wrote:
RRS is building a separate plate and L-bracket combo for the 5Ds/r. They claim it is different than the 5D3. It is available for pre-order.


Please see https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1370974/2#13068060

According to this, RRS is saying the following about the 5D3 L-plate fit on the 5DSR:

"Thank you for contacting us about this new camera. Whenever a new version of a camera is released, the first thing we always test is whether or not the previous generation plate will work. That being said, we are extremely picky about the fit and function of our plates on every camera body, because our customers demand a perfect fit and function. There are three specific issues that required a re-design and a new plate for this new camera.

1) new camera does not sit level on the existing plate

2) new camera does not sit flush against the existing plate

3) minor changes to the port side of the camera affect the L-portion fit of the existing plate on the new camera"



Jul 04, 2015 at 12:21 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R



Yes, and what essentially every single person here is saying is that we prefer that RRS produce a new plate modeled on the excellent plates for older cameras but modified to fit the new camera.

I don't think anyone has said they prefer the new and very different design.

RRS? Are you listening? :-)

Dan
dmcphoto wrote:
Please see https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1370974/2#13068060

According to this, RRS is saying the following about the 5D3 L-plate fit on the 5DSR:

"Thank you for contacting us about this new camera. Whenever a new version of a camera is released, the first thing we always test is whether or not the previous generation plate will work. That being said, we are extremely picky about the fit and function of our plates on every camera body, because our customers demand a perfect fit and function. There are three specific issues that required a re-design and a new plate for this new camera.

1) new camera does not
...Show more



Jul 04, 2015 at 12:59 PM
Rajan Parrikar
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R


I received a shipped notice for the L-brackets from RRS today. No idea what the eventual design is. Will find out tomorrow.


Jul 07, 2015 at 04:33 PM
hassy99
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R


Went to RRS website. There are photographs of it on the 5ds body. Looks like a two piece bracket as they said

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
I received a shipped notice for the L-brackets from RRS today. No idea what the eventual design is. Will find out tomorrow.




Jul 07, 2015 at 07:57 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R


The new L bracket from RRS: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/EOS-5DS-5DSR/B5DS-L-plate-for-5DS-5DSR.html


Jul 07, 2015 at 11:10 PM
wayne seltzer
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R


After only buying RRS L-brackets for my 5D, 1d2n, 1ds3, 7D, and D800E, I think I will save some weight and money and go with the less bulky and available Kirk L-bracket. Sorry RRS, you blew this one.


Jul 08, 2015 at 12:21 AM
dmcphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R


wayne seltzer wrote:
After only buying RRS L-brackets for my 5D, 1d2n, 1ds3, 7D, and D800E, I think I will save some weight and money and go with the less bulky and available Kirk L-bracket. Sorry RRS, you blew this one.


I'm a big fan of RRS equipment but cancelled my pre-order when I found the new RRS bracket would be modular. I've got the RRS modular bracket for the 1DX and don't want another one like that. The RRS one piece bracket for the 1DS3 is much nicer by comparison, and cheaper too. The fact I can't take it apart never posed a single problem for me.



Jul 08, 2015 at 05:43 AM
1       2       3       4      
5
       6       7       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       6       7       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password