FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       7       end

Archive 2015 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

RRS continues to insist that the "the majority of customers who purchase that camera are not as concerned about weight as they are with high quality images..." and "Typical modular/sliding plates in our line-up are never more than a few ounces heavier in weight than their single-piece counterparts." (email communication)

I have to seriously re-think my preorder for the RRS L-plates for the 5DS.

Jun 19, 2015 at 07:01 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

stanj wrote:
Well at least this one is plain wrong. Anytime you take something that would be one piece, and split it in two with a screw in the middle, there's no way that the resulting product would be BETTER at stiffness / support, unless you really over-engineer it (by adding huge amounts of mass).

Trust me, I have the RRS 1DX plate, and it's flimsier than the 1Ds3 plate. I have seen one 1DX L-plate simply break off. My 5D3 plate fits just fine, and my Kirk L-plate just arrived and I'll screw it on tonight, and we'll see. I will
...Show more

That is the same BL-5D3 plate that the 5D III uses, correct? I hope to be able to use that great bracket for multiple bodies.

EBH

Jun 19, 2015 at 07:16 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

The bottom of the 5DS-R is flat in the area of the tripod mount. No raised areas. The Kirk plate is recessed around the screw slot but has a radiused area that matches the bottom profile of the camera. In this way, the clamp force is out by the radius rather than directly at the screw.

The Kirk also has a separate strap attachment that screws in near the top and when attached acts as another point of attachment. This clamp nests into the camera strap feature and then provides a new one.

It fits perfectly. I cannot see how I would change it.

Jun 19, 2015 at 07:33 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

looks like they're just getting greedy...

Jun 19, 2015 at 08:11 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Why won't Kirk make a design specifically for 5DS(R)?

Jun 19, 2015 at 08:21 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Why won't Kirk make a design specifically for 5DS(R)?

Maybe it's not needed?

EBH

Jun 19, 2015 at 08:25 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Wonder if anyone from RRS reads this forum...

Jun 19, 2015 at 08:46 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
RRS continues to insist that the "the majority of customers who purchase that camera are not as concerned about weight as they are with high quality images..." and "Typical modular/sliding plates in our line-up are never more than a few ounces heavier in weight than their single-piece counterparts." (email communication)

I have no problem with what you are quoting from RRS. Sounds fine to me.

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:44 PM
Jeff Fenske
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Jeffrey wrote:
Jeff, you're preaching to the choir. Ask RRS if you need further answers.

I think at that point I was really preaching to Really Right Stuff, addressing them directly:

Why go 2-piece, robust when a reworked 1-piece would work just fine, Really Right Stuff?

Is it possible that they've bought the myth that "50MP can outresolve L-brackets?"

Jun 20, 2015 at 03:35 AM
hassy99
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Has anyone tried the Kirk l bracket with a critical eye as to any discrepancies
Tight fit or other observations

I currently have RRS ball head without the tightening screw. (Has quick connect lever)
So much here on RRS. Not too much on Kirk (other than ben's post, which is helpful)

EB-1 wrote:
Maybe it's not needed?

EBH

Jun 23, 2015 at 09:09 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

hassy99 wrote:
Has anyone tried the Kirk l bracket with a critical eye as to any discrepancies
Tight fit or other observations

Yes I have. It fits very well, even though this is where Jeffrey will come with his experience as a machinist and will say that even a misfit of 0.010" (or about two thick hairs) may cause bending to your camera.

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:28 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

I wonder how much longer we will have to wait until RRS finalizes the new design.

Jun 27, 2015 at 01:24 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

RRS says the design is still not finalized and that it will be at least 3-4 weeks before the first batch is shipped out. Hard to understand this delay. It is not like they are re-designing the space shuttle.

Jun 29, 2015 at 03:55 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
It is not like they are re-designing the space shuttle.

That would take longer, trust me, I worked with those guys

Those 1/1000s of an inch adjustments are hard to make...

Jun 29, 2015 at 04:01 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

ben egbert wrote:
The bottom of the 5DS-R is flat in the area of the tripod mount. No raised areas. The Kirk plate is recessed around the screw slot but has a radiused area that matches the bottom profile of the camera. In this way, the clamp force is out by the radius rather than directly at the screw.

The Kirk also has a separate strap attachment that screws in near the top and when attached acts as another point of attachment. This clamp nests into the camera strap feature and then provides a new one.

It fits perfectly. I cannot see how I
...Show more

+1

Jun 29, 2015 at 04:05 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Jeff Fenske wrote:
I think at that point I was really preaching to Really Right Stuff, addressing them directly:

Why go 2-piece, robust when a reworked 1-piece would work just fine, Really Right Stuff?

Is it possible that they've bought the myth that "50MP can outresolve L-brackets?"

That is exactly my point of view. What I want is a sturdy, light, compact L-bracket like the excellent RRS models that I used on my 5D and 5DII. They performed beautifully in every way. I don't want something bigger and heavier when the light and smaller works so well.

I have one of their units on order, but I'd be incredibly happy to hear from them that they are rethinking their approach to the 5Ds and 5Ds R brackets... and that they'll provide us something much more like the existing models that work so beautifully. If not, I'm seriously considering the Kirk model.

RRS?

Dan

Jun 29, 2015 at 05:44 PM
Jeff Fenske
• •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Rajan Parrikar wrote:

How does RRS know what the "majority of their customers are concerned about?" I've never been asked, having used RRS for about 10 years. I wonder how many have been asked.

Few photographers want to carry on their back or hold in their hand extra, unnecessary ounces that serve no purpose.

And this isn't a matter of sacrificing image quality to save weight. If the single-piece, lighter version held the 5D2 and 5D3 steady enough to not sacrifice any IQ at all, why wouldn't it work just as well for the 5DsR, which is even lighter?

50MPs don't outresolve L-brackets. These L-brackets have been proven to be stout enough for 6 years, now. Why change all of a sudden?

My 5D3 plate is working just fine on my 5DsR, seemingly with the exact same stability it had on the 5D3. I see no reason to make it stouter and heavier.

Our camera gear is heavy enough.

Jun 29, 2015 at 08:48 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Jeff Fenske wrote:
How does RRS know what the "majority of their customers are concerned about?" I've never been asked, having used RRS for about 10 years. I wonder how many have been asked.

Few photographers want to carry on their back or hold in their hand extra, unnecessary ounces that serve no purpose.

Yes, I asked myself the same question. At any rate, I have let RRS know that any extra ounces are unwelcome and that I would have to rethink my purchase. If enough people write to them they may change their mind.

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:57 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Since the 5D3 plate works for the 5Ds(R) perfectly (based on reports - I haven't received my camera yet), just buy that. If most people buy that, there won't be many units of the new design that gets sold. Vote with your wallets. And of course Kirk (which is what I have for my 5D3) works as well is another option.

Jun 29, 2015 at 11:02 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

JameelH wrote:
Since the 5D3 plate works for the 5Ds(R) perfectly (based on reports - I haven't received my camera yet), just buy that. If most people buy that, there won't be many units of the new design that gets sold. Vote with your wallets. And of course Kirk (which is what I have for my 5D3) works as well is another option.

I already have the RRS L-brackets from my 5D Mark III bodies. However, they are not a perfect fit and may take a toll on the body in the long run.

Jun 29, 2015 at 11:27 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.