New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · RRS TFA-01 with Bh-25? or alternative

Ghostinz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RRS TFA-01 with Bh-25? or alternative

I am looking at a RRS TFA-01 with a BH-25 Pro head. I have a Manfrotto Pixi, but I want one of these because I want a small pocket tripod that can use a plate and an L-bracket. While its pricey, it will do what I want it to do. I mainly will use it with my Sony A6000, but might mount my Nikons on it occasionally.

I have searched around and can't find anything alternative for this. While my gut tells me to just go ahead and get this, I thought I would put it out there for suggestions or comments, especially if you have this, or have tried it? It is a bit pricey at about $233.

Mar 17, 2015 at 06:36 PM
rw11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RRS TFA-01 with Bh-25? or alternative

too spendy IMO

the BH-25 is a nice tiny ballhead - I use one on a Manfrotto table top tripod that cost about $30 (the right price for a tiny tabletop tripod); the RRS alone is < $100

how about a BH-30 instead?

dunno what a pixi is - can you post a pic?

Mar 17, 2015 at 06:42 PM
Ghostinz
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RRS TFA-01 with Bh-25? or alternative

the BH-25 is smaller than the BH-30. I want super small. I already have a travel tripod and a RRS TQC-14 and BH-40LR. I just want a pocket tripod, but struggling with cost. However, the size may dictate to get it.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RRS TFA-01 with Bh-25? or alternative

if you are "struggling with cost" you adapt. with some existing components and bite the bullet that way or you buy the total option and bite it whole.

yes the BH30 is somewhat larger but you already own it.
I'm not a fan of the TFA-01 i use the bulkier Kirk tabletop tripod.
i use either my BH30 (low mode) or my old Leica ballhead in a somewhat higher stance depending on things.

this way there was only one purchase that was somewhat less of a struggle.

Mar 18, 2015 at 07:50 AM
Ghostinz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RRS TFA-01 with Bh-25? or alternative

Yes..I decided as much as I like and wanted the RRS stuff, I could not justify the cost. I decided to get a table top Siriu setup for $75, and I can pan with it too. So all and all it works out.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:20 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RRS TFA-01 with Bh-25? or alternative

my Man-frodo is very similar to sjms's Kirk in that photo

Sirui should be fine for your use

Mar 18, 2015 at 01:13 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RRS TFA-01 with Bh-25? or alternative

I've owned the RRS BH-25 and don't recommend it. Wasn't stable enough, even with just a 5D II and 24-70.

And if you want a solid, simple tabletop tripod for 1/4 of the price, the Manfrotto 209 works well:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=10554004&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

Mar 18, 2015 at 03:05 PM
Ghostinz
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RRS TFA-01 with Bh-25? or alternative

I really just need it for my A6000 anyway, so I got this.... it can go smaller too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NP7G2JI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mar 18, 2015 at 08:53 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RRS TFA-01 with Bh-25? or alternative

I have the Leitz tabletop tripod and stuck the BH-25 and B2-mAS clamp, sweet little package for travel with my X-T1 kit and is strong enough to hold my D810 with the 70-200 F2.8 VRII when I want to get low in a tick.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-tcN0pCgah9Q/VCMn7S_qIqI/AAAAAAAABF8/Z6RKSyVdvOM/w1730-h1154-no/xt1b.jpg

Mar 19, 2015 at 06:43 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RRS TFA-01 with Bh-25? or alternative

rw11 wrote:
my Man-frodo is very similar to sjms's Kirk in that photo

Sirui should be fine for your use

looks can be deceiving.

I think of the other gear I use not just one setup. so a smidge of compromise in size and weight gives me substantially greater versatility. owning the head already gives me leeway on the legs pricing.

Mar 20, 2015 at 07:46 AM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · RRS TFA-01 with Bh-25? or alternative

I know the OP has already settled on a kit, but I have the combo he was initially discussing and though I'd throw in my 2 cents. I have to say that for a small rig up to a Sony A7 and smaller adapted prime lens, the tripod and head are great in the right circumstances. Because the tripod sits so low with legs fully splayed, you need a very flat solid surface of sufficient size to use it. But it's rock solid and for me the ballhead locks down tightly. The only problem with the head is that it doesn't take much turning of the lever to go from locked down to floppy, so an unbalanced load will quickly drop if you're not careful.

For me the selling point was the size. I can carry the A7 with a 2 lens kit, the tripod, head, and multitool in a very small shoulder bag (TT Hubba Hubba Hiney). The problem for me with the style of tabletop pods that sjms mentions is that they are awkward to fit in a small bag. I have one languishing away in a drawer somewhere. As an aside, the RRS multitool can provide some elevation at the cost of stability, which is a nice bonus.

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:28 AM
Ghostinz
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · RRS TFA-01 with Bh-25? or alternative

well..its back to the drawing board.... possibly....

I did get the Sirui #T-35K. Size is fine, and I actually don't mind it being taller. But what made me mad was the fact that the ball head appears to pan, which is a feature I was looking for. Well, in truth, it doesn't. The one knob controls both the ball head and panning lock down.

So maybe I send it back and get the RRS, or get a Manfrotto 209, as someone was suggesting, and add a separate head to it..

I specially want this for a trip in May, where all I am taking is my A6000 kit. Fortunately for me, I have plenty of time to overthink all of this!

Mar 20, 2015 at 09:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · RRS TFA-01 with Bh-25? or alternative

the BH25 mechanism when adjusting for pan or ball position is a one stop move all design. you know the one Sirui copied. you open the lock and everything is free to move. ok for little cameras but not anything with real weight/bulk. that's why the BH30 is a better choice with separate pan lock and ball control.

Mar 21, 2015 at 08:45 AM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · RRS TFA-01 with Bh-25? or alternative

FYI the BH-25 is the same regarding panning. One lever locks down the panning base and head.

Mar 21, 2015 at 08:47 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · RRS TFA-01 with Bh-25? or alternative

now that we both have confirmed it.

Mar 21, 2015 at 09:00 AM
Ghostinz
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · RRS TFA-01 with Bh-25? or alternative

sjms wrote:
the BH25 mechanism when adjusting for pan or ball position is a one stop move all design. you know the one Sirui copied. you open the lock and everything is free to move. ok for little cameras but not anything with real weight/bulk. that's why the BH30 is a better choice with separate pan lock and ball control.

its a pricey combo on the RRS side, and I don't get any package breaks like with the BH-25. At the same time, you are right, the BH-25 doesn't pan either. I think for what I need I will probably resort to a Manfrotto 209 and attach a knock off ball head that pans, and only use it for my A6000.

Mar 21, 2015 at 01:34 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · RRS TFA-01 with Bh-25? or alternative

Bumping an old thread since I am facing a similar dilemma and it makes no sense to start a new thread. The TFA-01A is, like all RRS gear, priced on the high end of the scale but likely offers useful features. Unless I am mistaken it is the only one of the bunch (Kirk, Manfrotto, Sirui, etc), that has ratcheting legs.

However, I don't want to spend money on the BH-25, which is a one trick pony. I already own the BH-40, its base is 53mm vs 34mm for the BH-25. Any reason it will not work?

P.S. It seems that since the previous discussion there are some other viable options. Specifically the Andoer MT-01 and Marsace MT-01 which both seem to ape the original TFA-01 design but improve on it with angle adjustability. There is also the Andoer TP-166 which seems to be a more full featured one.

P.P.S. FM has changed something in how their handle external URLs which breaks https referrals, which is nowadays 99.9% of what sites use, courtesy of the NSA

Update: I have decided to spring for the TFA-01A with a FLM CB-24E ballhead. I will be using the tripod in very cold weather and the ease with which height adjusts, even with gloves, was a deciding factor to spend 3x what I could have spent. However I could not bring myself to pay for a BH-25. The FLM CB-24E has an outstanding reputation for handling heavy loads relative to its size, and I already have an ArcaSwiss screw plate from http://www.mengsphoto.com/ that you can buy for a song, e.g. https://www.gumptrade.com/14120000101.html or https://www.gumptrade.com/14120001601.html. This is top quality machining.

Dec 17, 2017 at 01:46 PM
ATPphoto
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · RRS TFA-01 with Bh-25? or alternative

You might also consider the FLM CP10-Tabletop tripod: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=32+10+901&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&typedValue=&Top+Nav-Search=

Or the same tripod with CB-24E ball head: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1330147-REG/flm_32_10_991_cp10_tabletop_tripod_with_cb_24e.html

The CB-24E is a very solid ball head.

Dec 19, 2017 at 05:19 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.