New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              9       10       end

Archive 2015 · 19/24/45/85 PC-E Tilt-Shift Thread

jonnyt5050
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 19/24/45/85 PC-E Tilt-Shift Thread

Ok, I'm going to keep this thread going. Aren't there a bunch of you with whiz-bang tilt shift images?

This is the 24mm PC-E.

Kansas Capitol Building by Jonathan Tasler, on Flickr

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:38 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 19/24/45/85 PC-E Tilt-Shift Thread

Nice shots, Jonny!

Yes, I have TS-E lenses: 17, 24, 45 and 90. Used to own the original 24 as well. But no Nikon PC-E unfortunately. I guess one can't have it all.

Great seeing these images, especially from the 45 PC-E.

Mar 27, 2015 at 01:39 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 19/24/45/85 PC-E Tilt-Shift Thread

A few more, keepin' it alive...

Mar 27, 2015 at 02:17 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 19/24/45/85 PC-E Tilt-Shift Thread

Wow, Craig!

Mar 27, 2015 at 03:36 PM
jonnyt5050
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 19/24/45/85 PC-E Tilt-Shift Thread

Stunning! You're really using that tilt.

Love it. Great work all the way around.

Mar 27, 2015 at 03:43 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 19/24/45/85 PC-E Tilt-Shift Thread

TS's can also be used for close-up stuff. Before posting, would it be a faux pas to post images from a non-Nikon lens on a Nikon body?

Mar 27, 2015 at 07:24 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 19/24/45/85 PC-E Tilt-Shift Thread

Holy Cow Craig! Those are beautiful!

Mar 27, 2015 at 07:38 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 19/24/45/85 PC-E Tilt-Shift Thread

kaplah wrote:
TS's can also be used for close-up stuff. Before posting, would it be a faux pas to post images from a non-Nikon lens on a Nikon body?

Nothing personal but In my opinion, to be perfectly honest this thread is about the 24mm / 45mm / 85mm Nikon PC-E lens, per the thread title. Not other non Nikon lenses. Similar to the Nikon 80-400mm VR "G" thread or the Nikon 300mm f/4.0 AF-S thread and others.

Mar 27, 2015 at 07:38 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 19/24/45/85 PC-E Tilt-Shift Thread

Andre Labonte wrote:
Holy Cow Craig! Those are beautiful!

Thanks! And you should be happy that one is done with a D300S....

Mar 27, 2015 at 07:45 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 19/24/45/85 PC-E Tilt-Shift Thread

ckcarr wrote:
Thanks! And you should be happy that one is done with a D300S....

indeed, but at the end of the day, I don't care what tool is used. It's just nice to see well done work.

Mar 27, 2015 at 09:12 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 19/24/45/85 PC-E Tilt-Shift Thread

Trying to keep the thread alive!

Apr 04, 2015 at 09:04 AM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 19/24/45/85 PC-E Tilt-Shift Thread

^^ Simply fabulous work!

Apr 04, 2015 at 11:34 AM
pbraymond
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 19/24/45/85 PC-E Tilt-Shift Thread

Beautiful photos. I don't own a PCE lens, so I can't technically keep the thread goinh with pics. Does just viewing count?

Apr 04, 2015 at 11:56 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 19/24/45/85 PC-E Tilt-Shift Thread

Andre Labonte wrote:
AHHHH! You guys are feeling my NAS! Stop!

Seriously though, some fine examples of beautiful photography.

With 6 kids still in the house I do not have the time to do this lens justice. Maybe in another 15 years.

Obvious solution is to sell a kid. I think there is a place on ebay for that now.

Kent in SD

Apr 04, 2015 at 07:12 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 19/24/45/85 PC-E Tilt-Shift Thread

Elk Point, SD. 24mm PC-E

Kent in SD

Dakota & Iowa Train Rolling at Elk Point, SD

Apr 04, 2015 at 07:14 PM
bobring
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 19/24/45/85 PC-E Tilt-Shift Thread

So, I'm curious...with today's software capability to adjust for keystoning and perhaps the use of hyper-focal techniques why does one need a Tilt/Shift lens? I used to own a Canon 24mm but sold it off years ago when I switched to Nikon and never even thought about getting a PC-E for my Nikons. Thoughts?

Apr 05, 2015 at 07:17 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 19/24/45/85 PC-E Tilt-Shift Thread

bobring wrote:
So, I'm curious...with today's software capability to adjust for keystoning and perhaps the use of hyper-focal techniques why does one need a Tilt/Shift lens? I used to own a Canon 24mm but sold it off years ago when I switched to Nikon and never even thought about getting a PC-E for my Nikons. Thoughts?

That would depend on what kind of photography you do.

Regardless of how advanced software has become, there is no substitute for the real thing through the lens. I cannot compose many of my images without shifting, due to the nature of some of my locations. Additionally, by using tilt, I can often take shots at f/3.5 to f/5.6 and capture the scene in one take. I'm not interested in focus stacking 20 images. As far as correcting for "keystoning" you end up removing parts of the original composition... Plus, to be honest, I enjoy just using them and the manual focus aspect.

Since I do primarily landscapes, my tilt-shifts are my go-to lenses. I wouldn't recommend someone buy one just for the heck of it. Like any lens, you have to define the mission. To just buy one without a plan would be a waste of money.

Apr 05, 2015 at 07:35 AM
swartzfeger

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 19/24/45/85 PC-E Tilt-Shift Thread

Craig/Jonathan (and anyone else I missed!), exceptional work!

re: blindly buying a T/S without defining a mission.

I've read a little about the PC-Es and these images/style keep haunting me. Many times in the field I'll catch myself thinking 'If only I could...' and wonder if a PC-E would address my composition needs (harkening back to Craig's comments of software not helping with composition and losing part of the image).

Can anyone reference an article/blog that details the nuts-and-bolts of using the PC-E in the field?

Also, does anyone here use a PC-E on a D750 (are the knobs free and clear for adjustment, etc)

Thanks!

Apr 05, 2015 at 08:27 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 19/24/45/85 PC-E Tilt-Shift Thread

bobring wrote:

Craig made some good points already.

I use software frequently to make minor adjustments, and occasionally go into a photo with the intent of making corrections later of a more drastic nature. But there are limitations to PP vs. optical/mechanical.

As Craig mentioned, to make changes in perspective, you lose quite a bit of image area when straightened. For a tiny amount, it needs to be thought about a bit, but not a worry (up to about +/- 5 in LR). Beyond that, you need to use a much wider lens and anticipate how much you will lose.

Too much correction via PP results in a flattened image in comparison to a shifted image with PC-E or TS-E lens. The perspective control lens give a build an elongated, blade-like appearance looking at one of its corners. PP give the same structure a squat unnatural look.

I use TS-E (I don't have any PC-E lenses for my Nikon bodies, only my Canon, sorry) lenses for their superb imaging and enormous image circle (few or no aberrations at wider apertures), and secondarily for their tilt/shift. Although I use manual focus frequently, unlike Craig, I'm not really a fan and prefer AF when I can use it. But most times I'm using a TS-E there is a need to use manual control, so I'm stuck!

Since I don't have any Nikon PC lenses (yet), and besides Nikon doesn't make an ultra-wide PC like the 17mm TS-E, I use a Samyang 14 and carefully compose so I have lots of extra room around a building and use very careful camera placement so that I can straighten and crop later (to a small to moderate degree). I do similar with Nikon 20/2.8D and Zeiss ZF 25/2.8 -- that's my current Nikon UWA architecture/nature kit. But I do greatly miss being able to use my Canon TS-E lenses on Nikon bodies!

To answer your original question: No, PP will not take the place of PC lenses, but it can help you get by.

Apr 05, 2015 at 08:55 AM
bobring
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 19/24/45/85 PC-E Tilt-Shift Thread

Gunzorro, I think that's a reasonable comment: "PP can help you get by". I often times have to use wider than normal lenses to get the scene I want and am fortunate to own the 14-24mm lens for those instances. Sometimes LR or CS6 correction isn't enough and yes the perspective isn't quite 100% correct even though it's not bad.
Ckcarr, I'm not into stacking images either....too tedious. My use of Hyper focal seems to get me by. If I had shift capability in the field I suppose that would make my life easier in some cases.

Apr 05, 2015 at 11:16 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.