Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2015 · Oly EM1 - Worth Getting Just To Shoot The 150/2?

  
 
jhinkey
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Oly EM1 - Worth Getting Just To Shoot The 150/2?


Really would love to get the 150/2 Oly for low light situations, but from what I've seen my GX7 won't really focus well at all with it (not worried about the lens size).

Is this lens really worth getting an EM1 mostly for shooting with the 150/2? Is the lens that good?
I can get a $950 used EM1 with 125 shutter actuations locally - it would have to live along side my GX7 .

Thoughts?



Jan 24, 2015 at 06:52 PM
galenapass
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Oly EM1 - Worth Getting Just To Shoot The 150/2?



http://www.lenstip.com/188.4-Lens_review-Olympus_Zuiko_Digital_150_mm_f_2_Image_resolution.html

"What’s there to write? Looking at the graph above brings to mind one word – fabulous! This lens recorded the highest MTFs of all the tested by us, almost 150, lenses. The fact that Olympus E-3’s dense sensor helps do it doesn’t change our assessment. Even if we take into account only the lenses tested on 10-megapixel Olympus’ sensors, ZD 2/150 still comes out the best, giving MTFs higher than praised lenses like ZD 2/50 or Leica 1.4/25."

That said, I still can't get a feel for how fast it will focus (on an EM1) - slower than on an E series camera - supposedly.




Jan 24, 2015 at 07:10 PM
millsart
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Oly EM1 - Worth Getting Just To Shoot The 150/2?


Guess it depends what you need to shoot at 300mm equiv.

My 300/2.8 has more than paid for itself a few times over, but I'm a sports photographer for a living.

However, for my m4/3 system, I've always used the Panny 45-175 or the Oly 40-150 R and been happy with the results. Obviously neither is anywhere close to a 150/2, but that kind of is the point, because they also aren't close to it in size/weight nor cost either, and unless I'm shooting sports, I have next to no real need for a fast 300mm equiv.

What would you plan to shoot with the lens to make it worth the cost and effort of carrying it ?



Jan 24, 2015 at 07:29 PM
bjornthun
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Oly EM1 - Worth Getting Just To Shoot The 150/2?


I have not owned an E-3 so can't comment on that. Probably the new 40-150/2.8 will focus faster on an E-M1, than the 150/2.

What is also of value is that the E-M1 has got the 5-axis IBIS, which is excellent.

I got the E-M1 as my main m43 camera and later added the 150/2, and have no regrets. Fast Oly glass really is something.

Only the OP can decide if it's worth it. I think the E-M1 is a more general purpose and agile camera than the GX7. I would take the E-M1 for the outdoors and the GX7 for social settings. In a way the GX7 is a modern m43 version of the Leica M idea.



Jan 24, 2015 at 08:03 PM
galenapass
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Oly EM1 - Worth Getting Just To Shoot The 150/2?


How fast does that 150/2 focus on an EM1?


Jan 24, 2015 at 10:46 PM
MAubrey
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Oly EM1 - Worth Getting Just To Shoot The 150/2?


You can see how effective the E-M1 is with this lens over on the image thread at mu-43.com

http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=32190&page=9



Jan 24, 2015 at 10:54 PM
jhinkey
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Oly EM1 - Worth Getting Just To Shoot The 150/2?


millsart wrote:
Guess it depends what you need to shoot at 300mm equiv.

My 300/2.8 has more than paid for itself a few times over, but I'm a sports photographer for a living.

However, for my m4/3 system, I've always used the Panny 45-175 or the Oly 40-150 R and been happy with the results. Obviously neither is anywhere close to a 150/2, but that kind of is the point, because they also aren't close to it in size/weight nor cost either, and unless I'm shooting sports, I have next to no real need for a fast 300mm equiv.

What would you plan to
...Show more

I would be using it for gymnastics and theater where there typically is not a heck of a lot of light.



Jan 25, 2015 at 08:52 AM
millsart
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Oly EM1 - Worth Getting Just To Shoot The 150/2?


Should work fine for either of those really, as neither are really challenging from an AF standpoint.

I cover a good amount of gymnastics and usually prefocus on a spot on the beam, the floor, the vault etc about 90% of the time.

Simply can't really track things like a tumbling pass even with a Nikon D4 and get a very hit right. Too fast, black uni's, not much light which is usually made worse by blue floor etc.



Jan 25, 2015 at 10:27 AM
CamOp
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Oly EM1 - Worth Getting Just To Shoot The 150/2?


I use that combo, The 150mm F2 focus well on the E-M1 but I don't have a frame of reference to a native lens as I don't have anything past 75mm on mu43. I went whale watching recently and even with the FT TC1.4 it still focus fast for the task. The lens being light enough that with the IBIS, hand held is not a problem.

Even with the E-P5 the 150mm AF work fine in most condition.


.









Edited on Jan 25, 2015 at 01:38 PM · View previous versions



Jan 25, 2015 at 11:10 AM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Oly EM1 - Worth Getting Just To Shoot The 150/2?


I rented that lens with the 1.4x TC and I wasn't overly impressed by it. It reminds me of the Canon 85L i.e. AF is slow compared to a native m43 lens and doesn't really work for BIF C-AF. And it's big and heavy. The 40-150 PRO may be a stop slower but AF is really quick and a zoom range of 80-300mm @ f2.8 is nice. Plus it's smaller and lighter.

If at all possible, try renting that combo (I rented it from BorrowLenses.com) and, if your budget allows, also rent the 40-150 PRO so you can compare the AF speed and sharpness, etc.



Jan 25, 2015 at 12:03 PM
jhinkey
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Oly EM1 - Worth Getting Just To Shoot The 150/2?


Thanks all who responded - I handled an EM1 this past weekend and I like it much better than the EM5.

The only problem with renting is that it's quite expensive - might as well just buy one and give it a go - if I like it great, if not I'd likely break even or cost me a few hundred in the end (same cost as renting).



Jan 27, 2015 at 06:17 PM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Oly EM1 - Worth Getting Just To Shoot The 150/2?


Renting saves you the hassle and aggravation of the buying and selling. Also remember that FT lenses are less in demand now than it was about a year ago. The PRO series lenses are slowly replacing the super-high-grade FT lenses. They are smaller and lighter, with comparable IQ, are less expensive … and with super-quick AF. So you have to take into account the depreciation cost of these FT lenses. You may have a problem just trying to sell one because of dwindling demand. I am having a lot of trouble selling a Canon 200/2L. I've dropped the price from $4,600 to $4,400 to $4,200 … and may have to drop the price even more. Just a couple of years ago these super Canon L-series lenses held their value really well. Well, not anymore!

jhinkey wrote:
Thanks all who responded - I handled an EM1 this past weekend and I like it much better than the EM5.

The only problem with renting is that it's quite expensive - might as well just buy one and give it a go - if I like it great, if not I'd likely break even or cost me a few hundred in the end (same cost as renting).




Jan 27, 2015 at 07:05 PM
jhinkey
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Oly EM1 - Worth Getting Just To Shoot The 150/2?


bobbytan wrote:
Renting saves you the hassle and aggravation of the buying and selling. Also remember that FT lenses are less in demand now than it was about a year ago. The PRO series lenses are slowly replacing the super-high-grade FT lenses. They are smaller and lighter, with comparable IQ, are less expensive … and with super-quick AF. So you have to take into account the depreciation cost of these FT lenses. You may have a problem just trying to sell one because of dwindling demand. I am having a lot of trouble selling a Canon 200/2L. I've dropped the price from
...Show more

True words, but there is no 150/2 in native m43 mount and likely not to be for a long time. Plus if it performs well on the EM1 for focusing I would think it would keep it's value as long as it's not available in native m43 format. That's my thinking anyways.

But still, you always want to keep on your toes so you don't get "stuck" with an expensive (to you) lens that is now not worth what you paid in the current market, unless there really is no viable alternative for what you need to shoot.

I really want Pany to come out with PDAF, but it seems they are going a different way than Olympus in the AF technology just like they are in the primes/zooms that are being released.



Jan 27, 2015 at 07:20 PM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Oly EM1 - Worth Getting Just To Shoot The 150/2?


You should post this question on the m43 Forum, as there are some serious m43 shooters who were formerly Oly 4/3 users.

jhinkey wrote:
True words, but there is no 150/2 in native m43 mount and likely not to be for a long time. Plus if it performs well on the EM1 for focusing I would think it would keep it's value as long as it's not available in native m43 format. That's my thinking anyways.

But still, you always want to keep on your toes so you don't get "stuck" with an expensive (to you) lens that is now not worth what you paid in the current market, unless there really is no viable alternative for what you need to shoot.

I really want Pany
...Show more




Jan 27, 2015 at 09:33 PM
httivals
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Oly EM1 - Worth Getting Just To Shoot The 150/2?


I own a EM1 and had the 150mm f2 for about 6 months. I used it primarily for indoor basketball games for my 11 year old son.

I found the autofocus to be acceptable, but it's not as good as the 75mm f1.8 (which isn't perfect either in the continuous autofocus department). The 150mm f2 autofocus on the EM1 is very good from 15 feet or so out, but as you get closer the autofocus slows down.

I used it also for some outdoor soccer games, and it's better with more light, but the indoor gym light was good enough. The difference between focusing with indoor/outdoor light wasn't that significant.

I also tried it outdoor with a 1.4x Oly converter and found that the autofocus was not nearly as good. I think it may have been a problem with the particular 1.4x converter I was using.

The autofocus should be good enough for your stated purposes with the EM1, and much much better than the GX7, which I also own, but never used with the 150mm f2.

I found for my uses, I'd rather shoot at 6400 iso (vs. 3200 iso) and use the Panny 35-100mm f2.8 lens (or I expect the new Oly 40-150mm f2.8), or use the 75mm f1.8. The image quality isn't quite as good with the zooms and you don't get as good of bokeh, but the other benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

The 150mm f2 image quality is fantastic from wide open, whether you're shooting at infinity focus or closest focus distance, corner to corner across the frame.



Jan 28, 2015 at 12:49 PM
galenapass
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Oly EM1 - Worth Getting Just To Shoot The 150/2?


Great Thanks John, now I want one of these lenses too.


Jan 29, 2015 at 11:10 AM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Oly EM1 - Worth Getting Just To Shoot The 150/2?


Bokeh at f2 is as sweet as the Canon 200/2L!

http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=32190&page=6&p=632786#post632786

galenapass wrote:
Great Thanks John, now I want one of these lenses too.




Jan 29, 2015 at 11:43 AM





FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password